Status: Currently editing, updating and making it a better more cohesive story.

You Should Know

I Miss You

“What are you doing?”

“Oh, you know, just talking to your plants. I want to make sure they’re alive when you come home,” I said as I watered Gabe’s plants.

“It’s been three weeks and they’re not dead yet, so I’m impressed,” He teased.

“Well, there are a few brown leaves, but nothing dead yet. I mean, you only bought them to get me to spend time at your house rather than Robs, so you’re not that attached,” I laughed walking across the apartment to put away the watering can in the kitchen.

“I’ve gotta be crafty, you know.”

“You’re very crafty. How was your day today?” I asked and I headed out of Gabe’s apartment.

“Why do you go and leave?”

“What?” I asked with a confused smile creeping onto my face.

“You go and you water my plants and then leave.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“I want you to feel comfortable there, like it’s yours as well…”

“Okay, I will do that. I’ll get my stuff and stay the weekend, keep my plants company.” I laughed as I stepped out onto the street.

“I just want you to feel at home there too,” He said sweetly.

“I do feel at home there. Anything related to you or wherever you are makes me feel at home. I could be on a deserted island, but if you were there I would feel at home,” And I sincerely would feel comfortable and okay as long as I had him with me.

“Okay, good. And my day was good. How was yours?”

“It was good. I got a promotion today!” I squealed in excitement.

“Congratulations! I knew you were going to get that position. I’m so proud of you,” He gushed and it just made me smile harder.

“Now I’m the director of the first year experience, me, I’m the director,” I repeated to myself, because I couldn’t really believe it myself.

“We’ll have to get you a new plaque for your office. Are you going out to celebrate?”

“I’m meeting up with some people at Angels and Kings, Rob set up a little something for me. I wish you were her to celebrate with me,” I sighed hailing a cab.

“I wish I was too. I miss you,” Gabe whispered.

“I miss you too, but only eight more weeks, right?” I tried to be optimistic. “It’s an eternity!”

“Come see me, be with me for a few days.”

“We’ve already gone over this, it’s impossible for me to right now. And now with the new job I can’t afford to take time off. I did however buy a new MAC so we can iChat. And I’ve created a list of all these things I want to show you once I open it up,” I smiled widely as I drove down to meet up with Meghan, Emily, Rob and a few people from work at Angels and Kings.

“I do love your lists,” He said with a low laugh.

“How’s everyone else?” I asked.

“I’m not done talking about our iChatting. I need a taste of what’s on this list.” I could hear the smile that was on his face as he talked.

“Obviously there will be naked chats and that’s all I can say,” I said seriously as I paid my fair and got out of the cab.

“I do enjoy naked chats. I wish you would tell me more, but I’ll let you go so you can get rowdy. Congratulations again, love,” He said sincerely.

“Let’s chat tomorrow night when I’m at your apartment, rolling naked on your couch,” I laughed.

“Such a tease!” Gabe yelled.

“Gotta keep you on your toes. Have a great show tonight!” I was excited for him, being on the road made him so happy.

“Thanks. Give my ladies my love and tell Rob not to touch you.”

“Shut up. Tell the guys I said ‘hi and good luck,’ for me.”

“Okay. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

I closed my phone, put it into my purse and walked up to the door. I showed my ID and walked in looking around for Meghan or Emily. I saw Meghan talking with Rob near the DJ booth. I walked over to the both of them.

“Hey kids,” I smiled approaching them.

“Congratulations!” Meghan said excitedly and gave me a huge hug.

“Thank you!” I said letting her go.

“Congrats, dude,” Rob said giving me a hug and kiss.

“Thanks! Gabe gives his love,” I told them.

“Asshole,” Rob laughed. “Tell him to call me back!”

“I will. I’m just a little more important.” I nudged him.

“His plants dead yet?” Rob asked.

“Yeah, Ms. Green Thumb, how they doing?” Meghan laughed.

“Still going strong!” I pumped my fist in excitement that I was able to keep them alive.

“Way to go!” Rob jumped up and down.

“We’re on the other side of the bar,” Meghan pointed and I saw Emily and my work friends in the other corner.

“Want to go over?” I asked her and she nodded.

“Thanks again, Rob,” I said giving him a hug. “You’re the best.” I gave him a huge kiss on the side of his head.

“You’re welcome. Congratulations, fantasy,” He teased as he let me go. He started calling me Fantasy because we always said we were each other’s top fantasy.

I walked over to the opposite side of the bar and greeted all my friends from work and Emily. They all congratulated me on my promotion and we got the party started. I had an early day tomorrow, but it had been a while since I had let loose.

Around midnight a large group of people came in and sat on the other side. It looked like a band, but I had no idea who they were. Emily was drunk and insistent upon inviting the band over with us. I told her no over and over again, but she was determined to make it happen and walked over to the large group.

“I’ll be back, I’m going to the bathroom,” I told Meghan and walked to the back and the hallway to the bathroom.

I fixed my hair in the mirror and readjusted my outfit. It had been a long day, but I was so glad to be out with my friends and people I cared about. I finished up and walked back out to the bar and Emily had accomplished her mission of getting the large group, we thought to be a band in our area. I made my way through the crowd to get to my friends.

“Hey,” I heard someone say and I felt a hand on my wrist. I looked up to see who it was and I was shocked.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him defensively, but most likely from the alcohol.

“I was in town with a band, they seem to have made their way to your group,” He laughed uneasily.

“Jake, can you take your hand off of my wrist,” I said a little too harshly. I was just taken off guard by seeing him here and that was being fueled by my intoxication.

“I’m sorry,” He said sincerely dropping his hand from my wrist. “What’s the party for?”

“I got a promotion,” I said without any emotion.

“Congratulations, you deserve it.”

“I’m not in a good state to talk to you, okay?” I said crossing my arms lightly.

“It’s just a coincidence that we ran into each other, Sadler. I didn’t seek out to be here and ruin your night, nor did I just randomly join your party,” Jake was quick to point out.

“I know, I know, I know,” I relented. “I just really don’t want anything to do with you,” I said and looked him in the eyes.

“I get that. I was just trying to be nice,” He seemed hurt that I didn’t want anything to do with him, but it wasn’t really news. I had told him that when we broke up.

“I gotta go, it’s late and I have work tomorrow,” I said and pushed past him. I didn’t owe him anything.

“Meghan, I’m gonna go. I’m tired and I have work tomorrow,” I said holding her hand.

“Okay, baby, congratulations again!” She said and hugged me tightly.

“Tell Emily I said good-bye,” I laughed as I looked at her in the middle of the band. All my work friends had already left.

“I will and I’ll make sure she doesn’t get gang-banged.”

“Good friend,” I laughed and went to find Rob.

“You leaving?” I heard Rob from behind me ask, I turned on my heels and smiled at him.

“I am, yes.”

“Did you have fun?”

“I did, thank you so much for everything,” I gave him a hug and he held me tight.

“Who’s the dude you were fighting with?”

“Jake, he’s here with the band,” I rolled my eyes.

“Douchebag,” Rob scoffed.

“Major D-bag,” I laughed.

“Get home safe. Text me when you get in, okay?”

“Okay, dad,” I winked and walked out of the bar.

I waited outside for a cab and there seemed to be a lack of them driving by tonight.

“I’m sorry,” I heard Jake say as he stood beside me outside.

“You should be, but it’s over and I’m finally with the man I love,” I said confidently to him.

“I’m happy for you,” He said with a smirk.

“Why are there no cabs?” I mumbled in frustration.

“I’ll give you a ride home,” Jake offered.

“I’m fine. You should go back inside with your band,” I said walking into the street and looking both ways for a cab.

“Sadler, stop being stubborn. Come on.” He said and started to walk to the valet stand. I dragged my feet behind him.

“You being nice does nothing for me,” I told him.

“I’m not trying to do anything to you. I’m just trying to show you I’m sorry for what I did. You didn’t deserve it,” He said genuinely as we waited for them to bring his car around.

“I just need a ride home,” I said and my phone started vibrating; I had a new message.

I pulled my cell phone out of my purse and flipped it open. I had a new text message. I opened it and it was from Gabe.

I’m proud of you. I hope you had fun tonight.

I immediately smiled at it and texted him back with just X’s and O’s. Jake’s car was pulled up front and he opened my door. I got in the car and put on my seatbelt. Jake got in on the other side and asked me for my address. He put it in his GPS and we started driving.

“What’s your new promotion?” He asked me after a long silence.

“Director of first year experience,” I said without looking at him. I just stared out the window.

“That’s amazing, it’s exactly what you wanted and have been working so hard for,” He said excitedly.

“Yup.”

“Sadie…I just want you to know it’s over. I ended it,” He said and I could feel his eyes on me.

“I’m sorry that you guys didn’t work out,” I said sarcastically.

“That’s bullshit,” He retorted.

“Jake, what would you like me to say to you? We weren’t together that long, I know that, when you said you wanted to try the long distance thing I was hesitant, but I wanted to. Then I find out you’re cheating on me, it was just a huge shock.”

“I know…I can’t change time, but it honestly just happened and I made terrible choices and handled everything poorly,” He admitted all over again.

“I know, I know. I just have moved on from this. I’m over it,” I said looking at him now.

“I’m glad. I hope you’re happy with this love of your life.”

“I’m very happy, thank you.”

“It’s weird,” Jake started with a nervous laugh. “I was thinking about you today…and then you’re here,” He smiled.

“Weird,” I commented.

“Listen, I’m not looking for anything. I just want you to know how sorry I am, that’s all.”

“I appreciate that. I just…I’m really good now and while you’re sorry and I appreciate you apologizing to me, I’m at a point in my life where I don’t need people in my life that in the end only care about themselves,” I told him honestly.

“Obviously I care, if I didn’t I wouldn’t be apologizing repeatedly,” He said and pulled up out in front of my apartment.

“People apologize profusely all the time when they know they did something wrong. Thank you for the ride,” I said unbuckling my seatbelt.

“Sadie?”

“Yeah?” I asked half out the door.

“I’m glad you’re happy and congratulations again,” He said genuinely.

“Thanks. Good night, Jake,” I said and shut the door to his car.

I opened the door to my apartment building and the lobby was filled with flowers. I bent down to smell them and it had my name on one of the arrangements, it was for me. I looked to the other four arrangements and they were all for me. I opened the card.

Congratulations! You deserve only the best. Love, Gabe

Just the sight of his name made me smile. I gathered all the arrangements the best I could in my arms and carried them inside and to my apartment. I was a happy and very lucky girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are the best!! Thank you to everyone that has read, commented and subscribed :)

Please leave me comments and let me know what you think!!

Also, I started a new story for a friend of mine that loves Alex Suarez. Please, if you have a chance and you're interested in reading it leave me some feedback. Just want to know if people think it's worth updating : Ruled by Secrecy

Thanks again!!