‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Teenage Love Affair

"Why do you do this to me?" Edwin asked as I finally stopped with the tears.

"You made me mad: you were flirting with Nathalie! How could you do that? What happened to "We should so have sex on her bed to piss her off"? Now I'm thinking I'm going to come in my room to see you and her screwing each others' brains out on my bed!"

If I hadn't been entirely serious, I would've laughed my head off at that. Was it possible to do that? Sounds painful!

"Jade, I would not dare do that to you. But maybe you want to tell me why you are trying to make me jealous." He was tapping his foot impatiently, glaring at me as I sat on the bed, bouncing up and down.

"Wha?" I asked, coming back into reality. He glared even more and I sighed. "I don't know. I just like making you jealous, I guess. It's nice to see that you actually like me."

"But I don't like you, Jade. You annoy me out of my mind and no one could ever like you unless they're insane. You are constantly being idiotic and trying to get killed. No; I don't like you. I love you, but I could never like you."

"Harsh," I muttered, only half understanding what he had said. If it was supposed to be touching, I had missed it. "Well, I'm sorry for making you jealous...numerous times."

"Using Gage all those times was a cheap shot, by the way," Eds chirped in, sitting down beside me. "So do you love me, or am I wasting my time?"

I really didn't know the answer to that. Yeah, I flirted with him, and I did consider him mine, but he had made me immortal without my input. And that couldn't be forgiven.

"I don't love you, but I do like you, I guess. If you ever ran off with some cheap whore, I'd murder her and then you. So, I suppose I don't know where I stand."

"So you and me using this bed tonight is out of the question?" he eased in not so subtly.

"Tonight: yes. Edwin, I'm positive I'll end up 'making love' with you sometime: you're just too good. Really, you are. Stop it! Please?"

"Not a chance. If there is a possibility that I'll be getting in your pants, I'm going to make sure it becomes reality. You can carry my child and we'll get married and live together literally forever. And we'll never miss a night in bed."

"You are a freaky man, Eds," I sighed, falling backwards on the bed. Edwin did the same.

"I wish you'd just love me already."

"I wish I'd stop being so stupid and terrible to you, but we can't always get what we want, huh?"

"Yeah," he agreed. "There's no chance for you being smart!"

I smacked his arm and he pulled me into his lap to whisper in my ear, "Let's go to Nathalie's room." I laughed and shook my head, kissing his nose.

"That'd be mean. And some people--no matter how much they deserve it--aren't meant to be messed with like that."

"Of course," he mumbled, kissing my neck. "But I want her to see how good we look together."

I smirked and grabbed the tie around his neck to pull him to me as I hopped off his lap and fell back onto the bed. He sat on me, rolling his eyes.

"The tie is annoying."

"I like it: it's like a leash. Can you say kinky?" I giggled, fixing it absentmindedly. Edwin smiled as he leaned down to kiss me. I grabbed his tie yet again and yanked him down to kiss him deeper. I could hear his laughter in my head, the jerk. He kicked off his shoes and lay down on me, pulling off mine. "Now, now. What did I say?"

"We don't have to do it: we can just get close," he told me quickly, crashing his lips to mine again. I gave in.

"Edwin, are you in--oh my God!" Nathalie shrieked, standing in the door. I looked over at her out of the corner of her eye: she looked like she was about to cry! So she started bawling, running out of the room. I felt a little bad.

"Edwin, get off. I feel bad," I admitted, sitting up. "I'm going to go talk to her."

It was true: some people you just don't mess with, no matter how fun.