‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Slow Down

“A... A baby?” I stuttered, staring at him through wide eyes.

“Yes,” he replied quickly without a second of hesitation. “I want to have a family with the woman I’m so deeply in love with. I’ve been thinking about this a lot, Jade. You haven’t a clue how long it’s been on my mind. We already know we’re getting married, so it can’t hurt to try now, can it?” Edwin asked, pulling me close and kissing me deeply. “You’ll be an amazing mother, I know.”

I bit my lip. I did not want to be having this conversation. A baby? That would change everything. And that would mean so much responsibility... I wasn’t so sure I was ready for that.

“Eddy... I just—I don’t know if I’m ready for a baby. I’m only nineteen, honey. You have to see that.” I could actually see the desperation and hope in his eyes as they bore into me.

“But do you have any idea as to how old I am? Please. I really want this. Would it be so bad to raise a child together?”

“Persistent, aren’t you?” I muttered. “Eddy... Do you really want this?” I really didn’t want to do it! But he made me feel like I was keeping him from leading a happy life!

“More that I’ve ever wanted anything before.” There was truth in his words, I could tell. That only made it harder.

“Are you so sure vampires can even have kids?”

“I’m here, aren’t I? Jade, it’ll be fine. We’ll be a happy family, I swear. Don’t you want that for us? Or—” his face fell “—are you planning on dying on me?”

“What? No! Of course not! I’m just scared,” I whispered. “I love you, but I’m scared.” And that’s normal, right? Edwin just smiled softly, holding me even tighter. It seemed like he was only holding me so I couldn’t get away from this conversation. Did he love me, or the thought of knocking me up?

“I’ll be with you every second, I promise. Jade, please. It’s all I want. Just one.”

Yeah, it’s one for now. But after that one, what if you want another? Then another and another until we’ve had twenty kids. The main thing on my mind was how to say no without crushing him. I wanted to tell him we’d have to wait, but it was hard to form words when the love of your life is looking at you with the softest eyes. I could see how badly he wanted a little demon running around in our house. I made myself smile slightly, but forcing that wasn’t too hard. I could picture him holding his little baby in his arms.

“You’d be there holding my hand the whole time, wouldn’t you?” I murmured softly into his chest. I looked up at him. He was almost glowing! And I hadn’t even said yes!

Who knew the thought of a crying little kid could make a man so happy?

“Of course I would. I wouldn’t be caught dead doing anything else.” He kissed me softly. “Can we try now?”

I bit my lip. Could he not see that I didn’t want a kid just yet? Could he not read my mind and see that I wanted this to stop? I looked into his eyes, but he didn’t meet my gaze. His eyes were plastered to my tummy as he stared intently at where our child would spend the first nine months of his existence. I stood by him as he moved his hand down to my tummy, rubbing it gently. He glanced up at me with a pair of pleading eyes. I wanted to cry. There had to be a law against forcing your fiancée into doing something she doesn’t want to do. Abusive boyfriend alert!

“Edwin,” I started, looking down rather than into his eyes, knowing I wouldn’t be able to say no to him if I did. “I just—I’m not ready.”

“Jade, look at me,” he demanded. He made me anyway. “How can you say you don’t want a baby to love and raise with me?”

“Because I’m a teenager. I’m not ready for that responsibility.”

“Please don’t say no right away,” he begged sullenly, letting go of me. I tried to reach for him but he shook his head. “Promise you’ll think it over.”

“Ok. I will. I promise.” I could do that much. “I love you.”

“Love you, too.” He seemed mad at me as he sat down on the bed and turned on the TV...