Status: Completed!

Caught up Between Two Loves

Chapter Thirteen

Time passed by and those two weeks were almost over. There were only five more days till I meet up with Sir Alex and either accept to deny his offer. I’ve been getting gifts every few days from Cris and expensive ones which I didn’t need such as the diamond necklace with matching earrings, a new phone and above it all an amazing elegant purple dress which I was stunned that it fit me. How he knew my size was beyond me.

I knew that he was trying to bribe me into accepting the job offer and forgive him. However, it wasn’t working at all. Sure, I forgave him since I don’t hold grudges at all but I wasn’t going to work in Manchester because of his gifts. It was getting hard lying to Fernando about the gifts. As much as I didn’t want to, I couldn’t help but to wear the dress along with the jewelry. Nando knew I couldn’t afford any of it and was getting suspicious. I kept telling him that my family gave it to me on my last birthday and he let it go.

I then remembered that I never spoke to Cris after our last encounter. Maybe if I called him and said that I forgave him and be back as friends he would stop sending me gifts. It was Friday afternoon and I was in my office. Not much work needed to be done. I could spare some time to make a phone call.

Making sure no one would come in and closing the door, I dialed Cristiano’s number. After a few rings he picked up. “Rachel?! Finally, you called I was getting worried that you never answered my calls.”

“Hey Cris. Yeah, I wasn’t ready to talk to you yet. Look, I wanted to say that I forgive you. I already did a week ago. I’m not good at hating people for too long.”

“I understand.” He sighed relieved. “Thank God! So, I’m guessing my gifts worked?”
I was sure he was smirking through the phone and that made me roll my eyes. “No, Cris. Expensive things don’t work on me, you should know by now.”

“So, you never used or wore any of it?” He asked amused.

“Well, you did go to a lot of trouble and bought them and it shouldn’t go to waste. Besides, I didn’t know your address to send it all back.” I chuckled finding an excuse for everything. “But, thank you. I like it all. Though, how did you know my size?”

“I knew you would wear it. That’s a secret I’d never tell.” I rolled my eyes and he carried on. “I bought it along with the jewelry for you to wear it to your welcome party at MUFC. Just a few more days, can’t wait to see you!”

“Wait…Who said I was going to accept? I haven’t made up my mind yet.”

Cris groaned and I sighed. I couldn’t go a day without thinking about the job offer. I really wished it never had happened or if it were offered to me before Liverpool did. I still had a feeling that Cris had talked to Sir Alex about me.

“Well, you should because I’m not the only one who’s waiting anxiously for your answer.” I heard a few chorus of ‘yeahs’ and recognized the voices to belong to Rio, Wayne, Nani. Then I heard shuffling and someone other than Cris spoke.

“Hey Rachel, it’s Ryan. I personally think that you should think long and hard about this. I know what position you’re in and obviously Cris and the others are adding the pressure.” Ryan paused and I guessed that he was glaring at the four.

I still couldn’t believe one of my all time heroes Ryan Giggs spoke to me and understood me. How weird was that?

“Hey Ryan. First of all, you’re one of my all time heroes!” I blushed thankful they couldn’t see me. “Second, thank you. I’m kind of surprised, but glad that you understand my point of view.”

“Yeah, me and Edwin here agree with Ryan. They’re just selfish and think about themselves.” I resisted my squeal as Paul fucking Scholes just talked to me! It couldn’t get any better than that.

I heard noises and people arguing and guessed that it was on loudspeaker and heard Cris trying to get his phone back. “Just give it back already.”

“Finally, sorry about them.”

I giggled then said excitedly “No, it’s fine. I got to talk to Ryan and Paul!”

“See, another reason why you should come here. You could talk to them every day!”

“Cris, let it go man.” Someone said.

“No, I’m not! She’s going to refuse, because of lover boy and not fulfill her dream.”

“Geez, Ronaldo. She just forgave you, don’t get on her bad side again or you’ll be whining all day.”

If I were in a good mood I would have laughed at that, but I was furious. “Hey! I’m still on the phone. And if I refuse, it won’t be because of Fernando it will be because of you!” At that I hung up not wanting to argue anymore.

Since I was too caught up in the conversation, I hadn’t heard someone entering the office. I jumped slightly when I noticed Steven and Xabi staring at me confused and concerned. I just shook my head and asked looking down “How much did you hear?”

“Just when you started to talking to Ryan.” Steve answered and I groaned.

“I’m guessing you were talking to Ronaldo?” Xabi asked and I nodded. “Why? To get even more stressed and upset than you already are?” By now his voice was higher as if he was yelling at me.

That made me angrier than I already was. “Don’t yell at me like I did something wrong! I called because he wouldn’t stop calling me.” That was all I could say and gave no further details about the matter. “And then you heard what happened.”

“Well, next time I’ll deal with that…” Xabi started to curse in Spanish and thank God I didn’t understand or else my ears would have been bleeding by now.

Steve seemed to know a few words as he cringed and calmed his teammate down. “Sorry Rachel, but he deserved that.” He apologized and I just nodded.

“Was he calling all this time to convince you to work there?” Steve asked as they sat down.

By now, the whole Liverpool team knew I was a Manchester United fan. Surprisingly, they took it very well after arguing about it at first. They still teased me when Man Utd lost, but it was harmless.

“Yeah. Some were on his side wanting me to go there and some knew how I felt and told me think long and hard which I am going to do.” This time I didn’t lie to them and it felt great. I was tired of lying and hoped it would end soon.

Well, you should. Don’t think about only Nando, but us too and the whole team. Not to mention the press will be all over you guys.” Xabi said after calming down.

He was right. I hated the press and they would ruin my image like that. I couldn’t live my life with people hating me even there were some who still like me and even if I was living my dream. Though this proved to me that no matter what you choose there’s always a negative point. You just have to choose which negative point you could live with.

They were about to leave, but I stopped them saying. “Please, don’t mention this to Fernando. He already hates Cris’s guts and this would add to it.”

“Don’t worry, we won’t. You know, it’s the first time we see him this happy and wouldn’t want to break his heart.” Steve said. As Xabi left he stayed a few seconds to tell me one last time. “I know that you’ll make the right choice. You’re a smart girl, you can get back up. Whatever decisions you make know that I’ll support it.” He gave me a smile and a hug which I returned before he left.