Status: Complete

You Are My Favorite Joke

Chapter 14

Ashley’s P.O.V

I woke up to find myself in a very comfortable bed, I looked to my side and Bruce was lying next to me resting peacefully. Suddenly his eyes shoot open.

“Good Morning sleepy.” Bruce said caressing my cheek with his thumb and smiling.

“Good morning.” I said remembering immediately what happened last night, all the panic, all the screams and the kiss.

“How’s Rachel?” I said changing my tone of voice so much that even Bruce’s eyes became worried.

“Batman saved her, she’s with Harvey don’t worry.” Bruce said uncovering his body and sitting on the side of the bed looking at me.

“I hope you don’t mind wearing my shirt.” Bruce said, I blushed a lot and looked at myself. I was wearing a light blue shirt, actually I gave it to him on one of his birthday’s.

“Who… who changed me?” I asked getting redder.

“Don’t worry Amelia was here.” Bruce said, I signed relieved. I couldn’t imagine the embarrassment that would cross my face if Bruce had been the one dressing me.

Suddenly a hand was placed on the back of my neck, I looked up and Bruce was placing himself on top of me, I didn’t do anything not even smile. I loved him but something was keeping me behind, why did that stupid clown had to appear last night? My thoughts don’t stop over him, over my safety, over his ideas and what he’s going to do next.

A warm pair of lips met mine in a sweet trade of kisses. A knock was on the door and I heard Bruce groan, I giggled and caressed his face. His eyes were so beautiful, I wouldn’t trade this moment for nothing, he made me feel special and he did so much to make me feel safe.

“Good morning Master Wayne.” Alfred said carrying some breakfast in his hands, he turned his back when he saw Bruce on top of me.

“Uh.. Sorry to interrupt, Miss Ashley please go downstairs Amelia doesn’t stop calling about you.. Hm I’m leaving breakfast… Here.” Alfred said rushing and closing the door. For the first time in a long time I found myself laughing. Alfred was a conservative man and he caught his good boy in a quite embarrassing position.

“I didn’t hear you laugh for a long time, God bless Alfred.” Bruce said leaning in kissing my lips again but more passionately.

About 1 hour later Bruce had gone to work and I was being drived home by Alfred.

“Alfred?” I asked.

“Yes Ashley?” Alfred said.

“Do you mind if we stop at the lake? I need to be there for a moment.” I said, Alfred nodded with his eyes and minutes later we were in the lake.

The area was enormous, it had a giant lake on the center and around grass and a park for children to play in. On the summer everyone went there because the Mayor turned the lake public so people could dive and swim in it.

Alfred offered me his arm and we walked with the wind blowing softly on our faces. It was a peaceful place at least for me.

“Ashley?” I heard a female voice say behind me, I turned and behind me stood a young woman with short blond hair, light brown eyes, pale skin, a pair of black trousers, a white tank top and a black jacket over it. She was holding a young boy’s hand, he was blond like her, he had green eyes and he seemed around 8 years old.

“Rose?” I said turning and looking at her.

“It’s true, you’re okay.” Rose said hugging me.

Rose was one of my high school friends but not a normal friend, she left for France when we were 17 years old. I hadn’t seen her in years but we kept calling each other on birthdays and Christmas.

“Weren’t you in France?” I asked her.

“My husband died and I came here to meet his mother and start a new life.” Rose said caressing the boy’s hair, I kneeled in front of the boy.

“And who is this little boy?” I asked him.

“Mom is this the lady we prayed for? ” The boy asked looking at Rose.

“Yes sweetheart. Ashley this is my son Jeremy.” Rose said, I smiled sweetly at him. He looked so innocent and sad, so young and without a father, just like me except I had no mother.

“Nice to meet you Jeremy.” I said kissing his cheek while he kissed mine.

“Then I guess we can arrange something to talk you have been away for years and I need to get my head in order.” I said looking over at Alfred.

“Yes that seems a good idea. I’ll call ok?” Rose said hugging me.

Alfred and I finally reached my house and when I entered Amelia and Richard were petrified looking at the TV screen.

“Amie? Richie? What’s wrong?” I said looking at the TV.

‘This afternoon around 3 pm the body of a policeman was found hanging on the top of the police station’s building. Commissioner Gordon confirmed that the man’s identity is the same from the man on The Joker's tape. The man had a Batman suit dressed and his face was painted chalk white, his eyes were painted heavy black and he had his lips painted red and with lines crossing his lips making his smile bigger like The Joker’s. The body had a Joker card attached to it and a note, the content on the note wasn’t revealed because according to the police it could put people in danger. Were they referring to Ashley Fox? The young woman who bravely escaped the Joker and was kissed by him last night?’ The reporter announced.

Richard immediately changed the channel. My expression had changed, if The Joker had referred to me on the note I needed to know. I grabbed my keys and I took my car to the police station.

Jim Gordon’s P.O.V

I was waiting for Dr. Rain’s analysis on the note. I had to calm down and wait for the results on the card for any traces of DNA anything would be great.

“Jim!” Ashley yelled busting into my office, I almost jumped from my chair.

“Ashley?” I said while Ashley closed the door and gave me two kisses on my both cheeks then sitting in front of my desk.

“I need to know. Am I on that note?” Ashley asked carving her eyes in mine, her face wasn’t sweet as always she was scared.

Damn it! I told Lucius to warn everyone to not let her see anything. She would be scared and not even Dr. Rain would make her talk, she would close inside herself and I can’t let that happen. Suddenly Dr. Rain entered my office and when she saw Ashley she sat on her side.

“Ashley? What’s wrong?” Dr. Rain said looking at me.

“I want to know the truth, please Jim.” Ashley said grabbing my hand, her eyes shining she wanted to know so badly.

“You’re mentioned in it, he calls you ‘angel’.” Dr. Rain said after a dead silence.

“That’s not enough, I need to know more. Is… Is he co...coming to take.. me?” Ashley asked starting to shake.

I stood from my chair and I hugged her. She needs this, she had been hiding the fear away from everyone.

“Read for yourself.” I said giving Ashley the note, she picked it up.

Ashley’s P.O.V

‘Cops, the show is getting STARTED!! Your little bat boy hasn’t decided to show up yet so 1 person died and more will die until he does. Remember: I’m a man of my word. Oh and send a kissy to my precious angel and remember her that her favorite clown will bring her home.’ I froze in my spot.

People dying? Even more people? This had to stop.

“I’m going to put you under protection, so tomorrow I have to be on the mayor’s and Harvey’s speech about Gotham City because it will have some kind of parade with policemen.” Jim said.

“I’ll go.” I said hugging him and then leaving his office.

“Wait Ashley how about a coffee to talk about this? It’s part of the therapy.” Dr. Rain said. I looked at both sides of the hallway and nobody was there so I slide down the wall crying, Dr. Rain put her hand in my shoulder and just stood there watching my pain vanish with the tears.

“I don’t… I don’t want him to come.” I sobbed hiding my face with my hair.

“We’re going to protect you and he will not take you, I promise.” Dr. Rain said.

I knew that in her eyes a couple of policemen, some guns were enough to stop The Joker but she had been studying him so how couldn’t see get it? He’s way too clever.

If he wants something he will be able to get it no matter what. More despair grew inside me as I slowly realized that there was no way to run away from this and making him wait for me was only making things worse. He wanted Batman and to get him he knew he had me and other innocent people, but I was the one who cried, who screamed and the one who looked him in the eyes.