Just to Hold You Close and Tight

You're the Best

Image

“We believe I’m a ghost because I have unfinished business,” Ray explained. I was happy that he was finally including me in the conversation.

“Which is…” Ben prompted.

“My unfinished business is Amber.”

“I’m almost as invisible as he is,” I mumbled to myself.

“Wait,” Ben said. “When you say she is your unfinished business, do you mean that you just want to-?”

Ray growled and threw a punch at him. Of course, his hand just went through Ben’s face and didn’t do any damage, but he got his message across. “I know how you think, Ben” he said dangerously. “It’s not like that at all. You wouldn’t understand, though.”

Ben rolled his eyes. “Sure.”

Ray got up. “Would you like to leave, Amber? Ben seems to be being a jerk.”

“Really?” I said sarcastically. “I didn’t notice. Before we go, can you punch him again for me?”

Ray smiled. “Believe me. If I could actually do some damage, I would.”

No matter how immature it was, I turned around and smirked at Ben before following Ray down the path.

“See you tomorrow!” Ben called.

Ray snorted. Once we were out of earshot, he said, “I’m really sorry about his attitude. He’s not always like that. Sometimes he can even be nice. I think he was just a little jealous of you.”

“Seriously?” I exclaimed. “You think he was jealous of me?

Ray frowned. “Definitely. But why do you say it like that?” After a short pause, he groaned. “You’re not jealous of him, are you?”

I blushed and looked away. “Well… Can you blame me? You’re just so yourself around him.”

Ray shook his head. “No, he brings out the bad part of me. Almost forgetting all about you… that’s not being myself. This, the person you’re talking to right now, is the real me, or at least the person I want to be.”

I sighed at I crossed reasons two and three to be jealous of Ben off my mental list. I moved to reason one. “Okay. Not matter how horrible and selfish it sounds, I’m also jealous of him because he can see you too.”

Ray smiled, saying, “Really? I think that’s kind of sweet. However, you can’t blame Ben.”

I knew he was right. My mental list was at an end. “I guess you’re right,” I admitted.

“Even so, you still don’t like him,” Ray concluded. “Why?”

“Well, he was kind of being a jerk. Especially when you were talking about me being your unfinished business.”

Ray shrugged. “You’re right, but like I said: He’s just jealous that you’ve been able to see me. I can’t blame you for not liking him now, but you should give him a chance to shape up.”

“Fine,” I grumbled.

“I could go talk to him now. You know, get him to give you a chance,” ray offered slowly.

I though about the homework awaiting me at home, and knew that I didn’t want Ray to leave. However, I also knew he probably really wanted to go talk to his friend. “That would be great,” I lied, plastering on a fake smile.

He laughed at me. “Maybe your parents can’t tell when you’re lying, but I can. If you don’t want me to go, just say so.”

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “You should go. It would be better if you got him to give me a chance.”

“Are you sure?” he asked, raising his eyebrows.

Of course not, I thought, but I said, “Of course. Go, and enjoy yourself.”

He smiled. “You’re the best, you know that? I love you.” We stopped walking, because we were at my driveway.

“Yeah,” I said, cracking a smile as I turned to face him. “I love you too.”

Ray leaned closer to me and whispered into my ear, “I’ll miss you.”

“Me too,” I said, not knowing how much I would actually miss him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... tell me what you think!