What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Seventy-three

''Yea it's ok, I understand. I'll come find you. Ok, bye.'' Jessica said and hung up.

''Jordan's here. He couldn't decide which shirt to wear, that’s why he's late.'' She told me as we moved to the front of the club.

Jessica and I had been dancing like we owned the place for the past half an hour. I was about due for a break when Jordan called.

I had seen Tom only a couple of times since they performed, once at the bar and then once in a booth with Bill and the rest of his band. He hadn't said anything to me so far tonight, in fact other than when he first arrived; he hadn't even come near me. I suspected it was because my dad was lurking around and no doubt watching me like a hawk.

''Hey!'' Jessica exclaimed, throwing her arms around Jordan's neck. He kissed her lightly and looked at me.

''Hey Kate.'' I was rather surprised. Him and Derek were best friends.

''Hi.'' I said with a smile.

''Don't worry; I'm not going to abandon you because you're not with Derek. We were friends before you two were a couple.'' Jordan said and I breathed a sigh of relief.

''How is he?'' I asked cautiously.

''Bummed because he had to miss the party, but otherwise he's dealing. Speaking of this party!'' Jordan said, putting one arm around Jessica's neck and the other around mine. He walked like that with us to the bar.

''So ladies, shall we party like it's nineteen-ninety-nine?'' he asked and we laughed.

''Why not!'' I laughed, clinking my glass with Jessica's and then Jordan's.

We finished our drinks and then hit the dance floor. As we danced, I offhandedly noticed Tom at the bar, talking to some girl. I had an impulse to go over there and get in between, but suppressed it.

Forever passed and it must have been one o'clock before the three of us retired to our VIP booth.

''I'm so glad I met you guys, I've never been to a party like this before.'' Jordan said, putting his arm around Jessica.

''Would you believe me if I told you we grew up with parties like this?'' I asked and Jordan's eyes popped.

''No way!'' he exclaimed and I nodded.

''My dad's had this company forever and when it was a party he was throwing, he let us tag along.'' I told him.

''But he did made sure the bartenders all knew we weren't allowed to drink.'' Jessica said.

''Yea and we had to leave by midnight.'' I added.

''But that's when the party starts!'' Jordan said.

''I know!'' Jessica and I said in unison and then laughed.

''We may as well be famous for all the parties we've been to over the years.'' Jessica said in a mock posh voice.

''Well then, should I ask for you autograph now or later?'' Jordan asked teasingly.

''Oh you'll be getting a little more than my autograph.'' Jessica said with a wink.

''Isn't life great?'' Jordan sighed and we laughed.

''It would be great if there was more vodka. I'll be back.'' I said, getting up, and they laughed.

I walked to the bar and waited for the bartender. There were quite a few people and I was in no rush. While I waited, I watched the people on the dance floor.

It was mostly couples grinding or girls dancing wildly in groups or pairs, but there were a few guys who had made the now empty stage into the perfect spot for a dance off. When my eyes veered away from them, I caught sight of something else; a couple on the dance floor. I froze, a strange almost angry feeling rising inside me.

It wasn’t just any couple though, it was Tom and the skanky blonde who he'd been talking to at the bar earlier. I couldn't stop looking at them; the way he held her and the way she rubbed all over him made me sick.

I left the bar and headed towards an empty booth by the dance floor, not taking my eyes off of them. There was something about seeing Tom with another girl that rubbed me the wrong way.

Clearly she wasn't his type. I mean, sure she had blonde hair and big boobs, but she was throwing herself at him. I knew he didn't like that, he told me himself; he preferred someone who played hard to get.

She whispered something in his ear and they headed towards the bar. That was when I decided I needed to do something. I needed to save him from himself.

I decided to intervene.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I'm late, but I was at my sister's winter concert helping sort out all the ten year olds.

Thanks for reading!