We Need No Introduction

"We are searching for security in tragedy."

A soft knock woke me up the next morning. Ever since yesterday, I have been extremely on edge. I eased up a bit when I saw that it was only April.

“Breakfast is ready,” she said with a smile.

“Thanks,” I replied, stretching.

“Don’t worry,” she said. “Bam’s not here right now.”

“Thank God,” I mumbled. “I hate him so much right now. I don’t even want to see his filthy, lying face.”

“I don’t blame you. I feel that way too, sometimes. But the awful truth is I’m his mother.”

I laughed lightly and stood up from the uncomfortable bed that is Bam. The only reason I’m staying there is because it keeps him out. He deserves all the bad karma he can get. I walked behind April as we walked down to the kitchen. Her cooking filled my senses and I grew immediately famished.

“Hey Blair,” Ryan said. I gave him a smile.

“Hey Ryan. Heys Jessie.”

Jessie looked up at me and nodded, going back to his plate.

“Morning Phil,” I said.

“Morning Blair. How’d you sleep?”

“Horribly,” I admitted, sitting down beside Ryan at the table after filling my plate with eggs, bacon, and toast. “I don’t know how Bam can stand it.”

After eating, I stood up and grabbed a quick shower. It lasted 15 minutes, and afterward I dressed in a black Mindless Self Indulgence shirt with plain orange skinny jeans. I put on black chucks and grabbed my purse, looking for my cigarettes and lighter. I grabbed them once found and stood. I was going outside.

I was being courteous, I thought, not smoking in the house. Lighting up my cigarette, I inhaled quickly.

April and Phil should know I won’t be staying here that long. After all, I am 19. I could get my own place. My own car… but first I needed a job. That wasn’t going to be easy to come by.

“I’m really sorry, Blair.” My head snapped up to meet Bam’s icy blue eyes. I rolled mine and looked away. I was just going to ignore him. He doesn’t deserve my time of the day. He’s ruined my life indefinitely. “Blair?” I didn’t respond. “I’m really sorry. This wasn’t meant to happen.” I took another puff of my cigarette and blew it in his face. “Blair, fucking listen to me! I’m sorry, okay?”

I stomped my cigarette out and then glared at him. “No, Bam! It’s not okay! Okay?! Shut the hell up! You get rotten milk thrown at you and I get kicked out of my house because you have the hellish audacity to plant drugs there! What the hell is your problem?! No one believe me, they all fucking believe you! No one will talk to me, my family has disowned me and my closest friends are ignoring me. Why? Because they all believe you when you tell them I do drugs and then somehow ‘know’ where I hide my ‘stash.’ If I had another place to go besides here, I’d gladly take it. You wanna know why? Because no one wants a druggie living with them. But you know what? April and Phil are nice enough to let me stay with them because they know you.” I paused, taking a breath. Bam looked at me with wide eyes.

“Stay the fuck away from me, Margera,” I spat. “Don’t talk to me, don’t look at me and definitely don’t touch me. I fucking hate you so much right now,” I said, the tears forming. “I thought you were my friend, getting me involved in seemingly harmless pranks. How could you do this? I considered you a friend. Sure, we fought, yelled, screamed at each other and shit… but friends don’t do this to each other. I want you out of my life.”

“Blair, -”

“Don’t fucking talk. I’m not going to listen. We’ve known each other how long Bam?” I asked him. “I never thought you’d do something like this to anyone, especially me.” I turned on my heel and went back inside. I was done with Bam. He means nothing to me. He is dead to me. He is no longer in my five… I fucking hate that kid.

“You okay?” Ryan asked, following me to wherever I was going. I had nowhere to go, I just needed out of here.

“No,” I told him quickly. I sighed, turning around to him. “Do you have a car?”

“I can ask Ape if we can use hers, where do you want to go?”

“Um…” I thought for a moment. “Park?”

+

“Why did you want to come here?” Ryan finally asked as he pulled up in a parking spot and turned off the engine.

“I just needed to get out of the house,” I told him.

“Bam?”

I nodded and opened the door, stepping out with my cigarettes and lighter in my pocket. I walked up to a swing and sat on it, slightly swinging while Ryan leaned on a pole.

“I remember coming here when I was a kid,” he said.

“Yeah, so do I.”

Ryan sighed after I was looking down at the gravel for a bit.

“I’m not used to seeing you like this, B. What’s on your mind?”

“Dude, I’m kicked out of my place for something I didn’t do. I was fucking framed.” I nearly yelled at him.

“Are you going to try and get him back?”

“No,” I said shaking my head. “I’m done with the fucking pranks.” I dug in my pocket and brought out another cigarette and lit it. “I’m done with all that shit. As soon as I get the money, I’m out of here.”

“Where would you go?”

“I don’t know. Out of West Chester, that’s for sure.”

“Philly?”

“Possibly. I just need a job, then a car, then a place.”

“Bam’s an asshole,” Ryan said after a minute of silence.

“I know.”

“Jimmy, stop!” a girl giggled. I looked up, seeing Jimmy chase Leana. I smiled a bit and stood up, smashing by cigarette into the dirt.

“Leana!” I yelled. Jimmy and Leana stopped and stared at me. Leana scowled and turned around stomping off to the car. Jimmy stared a bit longer and followed her. Tears threatened to spill as I made my way to out ride. I have nothing if I don’t have my sister.

Once to the car, I tried to open the door, but it was locked. Emotions just spilt through then. My cheeks were covered with the tears built up. I kept trying to open the locked door, but to no avail would it open. Ryan ran to me and knelt beside me. I knew he didn’t know what to do. Nothing he could do would help. All Ryan did was rub my back, trying to calm me down.

After a moment, Ryan sighed.

“What?” I asked.

“Bam’s here.”