You've Given Me Strength To Find Home

She Needed Someone To Show Her Who She Could Be

The man looked deep into Alex's eyes, it was as if he saw right through her glasses into her eyes. "Sorry, I'm a klutz sometimes", he chuckled as he finished picking up the crayons. Alex was shocked to see Rae still standing near them, usually out of fear of being hit she ran to hide. "Hope I didn't hurt your sister too bad, haha. She's so short I didn't see her coming around the rack of shirts", he said with a gentle smile. The two stood as the man looked down to the young girl and winked making Rae blush.

Alex cleared her throat and rubbed her neck. "Is there something particular you needed?", she asked. She wasn't wanting to be rude, but here was a strange man close to her sister and her and they were alone.

"Actually I'm here visiting some family, I don't get out much alone and this seemed like a cool store to check out",he smiled. Returning the smile she nodded and began to head back to the register. "Hey wait uh-miss, I was wondering if I could get your opinion on something", he asked. She smiled politely and nodded for him to continue. He held up a blue and green knitted scarf and wrapped it around his neck. "What do you think? Does it look alright?"

"I think you look PRETTY!", Rae giggled looking up at him making both of them laugh. Her older sister was blushing debating on fixing the fabric on his neck.

With a soft smile Alex walked over and tugged at the scarf so that it was wrapped more loose around his neck. "There...now it looks perfect", she said looking up into his brown eyes.

"Thanks", he said with a sweet smile. "I'll take it"

She nodded walking back to the register before turning to see he followed with little Raeanne gabbing about how 'pretty' he looked. As she rang up the scarf she looked up into his eyes with a smile as Rae walked around and hopped on her older sisters back, the rich red hair leaned against her left cheek as her sister lay her little head on her shoulder. "Will that be all?"

He nodded handing her the money owed for the scarf. "For now, maybe tomorrow I'll come back"

"I don't work here tomorrow", she blurted out making her blush. like he'd care if I was working here tomorrow

His face fell a bit as he nodded. "Oh, well, maybe I'll see you again", he smiled and walked off with his hands in his pockets. It took until Rae called her sisters name six times for her older sister to get out of her trance and realize he never took his change.

Holding her little sisters legs Alex ran out the door and searched the dark streets for the man, but he was gone. "Pretty boy's gone Allie?", Raeanne asked holding tight to her sisters plaid shirt.

"Yeah kid, too bad, he seemed nice", walking back inside the girls began cleaning up getting ready to clean up. Tomorrow would be a busy day.

It was 9:30, when the two girls boarded the bus with Phil. "Even-" Alex placed her fingers to her lips holding a sleeping Rae, with a pink Disney princess back pack on her other shoulder. "Evening Alexia, seems tonight I get to take you home since no one's on tonight", he said with a wink as she sat down in her seat right behind him.

"Great, thank you so much Phil", she whispered with a thankful smile. The ride was quiet mostly because they didn't want to wake Raeanne. Coming to a soft stop Phil bid Alex good night. "I'll see you in the morning", she smiled and waved.
---------------------------------------

The next morning Alex awoke on the floor. Just another day Alex she thought as she looked at Rae spread across her bed. With a soft laugh she went to shower for the morning knowing there was no school for the kids. Humming softly she let the water wash the dirt and sweat from yesterday. Her thoughts went back to the stranger that came to the store. She left a note at the register telling the cashier for the day that if someone came in asking about getting his change back to call her. With out another thought she shut off the taps and dried her self. Putting on some light make up again she smiled as she realized what today was. A soft laugh escaped her lips as she continued to dress into her uniform. She tip toed past every door down to the kitchen making herself some oat meal and coffee as she wrote a list of chores for Emmet. Soon a horn honked outside her door and she looked to her watch before grabbing her things and running out to the bus. "Morning Phil!"

"Morning Alexia, happy birthday!", he said covering the hole where she put her money in to pay for the bus. She blushed and kissed his cheek as he handed her a card. Passengers smiled as she sat in her seat whispering her birthday wishes before she came to her stop. "See you tonight", he said with a elder chuckle. She nodded running into the Waffle house with the roar of the bus behind her.

The restaurant was quiet for now. Walking to the back of the house she was met with smells of batter being baked on the flat tops. She heard hushes behind the door before she opened it. The lights were off which were odd. Turning the lights on hesitantly she gasped to find a big stack of pan cakes with a candle '19' on the top ready to topple if given the slightest touch. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEX!", everyone shouted. She laughed looking into the eyes of all of her co-workers and boss. They all smiled and began singing happy birthday before one of them began pushing her toward the stack.

Alex closed her eyes briefly thinking of her wish, her lips parted before she blew a gust of air between them to blow out the candle. Cheers all around as she took off the candle and took a bite of the top pancake. "MMMM Blue Berry my favorite!"
-----------------------------------------------------

It was the second half of her shift as Alex began clearing surrounding tables. They had just had the noon shift which lasted until three. "Al, can you take this next one for me? I REALLY gotta go to the bathroom", whined Miley. Alex laughed standing up to look at the blonde, she was still young.

"Sure, go ahead, but your not getting any of my tables!",she giggled. Miley nodded and laughed running to the back.

Brushing her apron of crumbs Alex made her way over to the table her chucks made a squeak as she got close to the table catching the attention of one of the customers. She stopped in her tracks, there was the man from the store last night, but his hair was straight. "Hey", he said with a wide smile. She almost went weak in the knees, but she continued to walk until she was at their table. She smiled again seeing three other boys with him this time, One who seemed to be older then him with black curly hair, and hazel eyes, another who seemed younger with brown eyes and hair, as well as a boy only a few years older then Rae with wavy hair that was brown and sweet brown eyes. She smiled to all four of them, but blushed as her eyes met his.

"-Uh, so what can I start you guys out with?", she said before anything could be said. She smiled taking down their drinks and smiled as the youngest asked his elder brother if he could get a chocolate milk.

The man from last night laughed. "Of coarse Tank, Mom's not here we'll let it slid", he laughed. Alex held in a laugh as she wrote down the order and went back to get them. "Yeah, that's her", she heard hims say to his brothers as she left.

When she returned with the drinks she felt eyes on her from each brother. She kept calm as she took the tray and was ready to take down their orders again. "Happy birthday again Alex!", said a customer as they headed out the door. She nodded as her cheeks heated up in embarrassment.

"So Alex is your name?", asked the eldest brother before being kicked by his younger brother. She nodded with a blush. "Well happy birthday, I'm Kevin-" he gestured to his right where the younger brother with curls sat "this is Nick-" then next the one she registered as 'Tank' "That's Frankie, and you've met my brother Joe", he smiled looking over to his brother who was looking up at her with a smile.

Joe had a smile on his lips as he looked into her brown eyes. "Happy birthday", he said with a grin. She smiled and whispered a 'thanks' before he was shook out of his trance. "OH-uh yeah food, uh Tank you order first", he said looking down at his menu again.

Each of them ordered with a polite 'thank you' after which made Alex smile. She took each of their menus and went off to take care of their orders as she felt four pairs of eyes following her.

"They are TOTALLY checking you out!", Miley said chomping on her gum. Alex shook her head as she typed in their orders, her eyes looking over the bridge of her nose through her glasses and saw Miley was kind of right--they were looking her way. A few others came into the restaurant so she couldn't go back and talk with them while their food was cooking.

Table after table ordered their meals while the four brothers waited talking amongst themselves, occasionally giving Alex a smile to cheer her up. Soon she came back with their food. "There you go, sorry it took so long enjoy your food boys", she giggled. They nodded in thanks before grabbing each others hands and prayed. Alex slowly walked away, as sweet as she was, God was dead to her. She shook her head as she went to the other tables her mind now washed of Joe. He's probably a bible thumper

The full restaurant was now empty other then a booth in the corner where four brothers still sat chatting. Miley popped her gum as she lay on the back counter in the wait-station. "Seriously do you ever quit with the gum?", Alex laughed even though she was annoyed. She stood and walked over to the boys table, she had gone over several times, but they weren't ready to leave. Frankie wanted more chocolate milk, Nick wanted more pancakes, Kevin would want more eggs, and Joe- well he'd just smile and tease Alex. As she made her way over Joe turned around and smiled. "Are you guys ready yet haha, or did you guys want to move in?"

"If your going to be here everyday then YES!",Joe said with no shame making his brothers chuckle, and Alex blush. "-But no we're not finished...actually my brothers and I want another round of pan cakes!"

She laughed with amusement looking into his sweet eyes. Kevin seemed to find it funny as well. "Alright I'll be right back"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah...so the Mystery Jonas is JOE! NO WAY! Haha I'm a nerd *shrugs* PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what you guys think! Thank you to my coolest sister from another Mister HAILEY! She gave me some encouragement to write this, and she made me blush by using my banners that I made her haha. I REALLY hope you guys enjoy this series...