Twilight: How Did it Become so Popular? - Comments

  • idealist

    idealist (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Philippines
    In my opinion, there's nothing wrong in her writing skills.Bella ,maybe,is not suprised to know Edward is a vampire 'cause she ,maybe, believes into some things 'normal' people would call weird.See how she easily figure out who Jacob is.And to the loud truck thing, as far as i know,that truck is given to her by her dad and it's not her choice of car.This all is just my opinion.
    September 21st, 2009 at 07:35am
  • zombiexheart

    zombiexheart (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i think it was the movie because before twilight was ever big i read it and i hardly saw anyone reading it in the train like everyone does now in the trains. now ever since the movie came out and they show how edward looks by that robert patterison guy i guess girls are like 'omg he is hot' and they ran bought the books told their friends about it and i guess that's how word got around.

    that's just my opinion.
    September 21st, 2009 at 12:58am
  • dirtylittlerocker29

    dirtylittlerocker29 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    hmm i like Twilight, it captivated me. It is poorly written i have to agree, but there was something so spellbinging about it. and Midnight Sun is just completely amazing and i hope t all things holy it is released. I really love it. The movies are good and i enjoy them, and i am dying for New Moon's release. I understnad your points though...bella is rather annoying and i never really cared for her, but there is something about Edward...maybe the fact that really is not a man like that anywhere i ca find. He loves her so much, so unconditionally, and it's like...its simply breathtaking. i will always love Twilight.
    September 15th, 2009 at 07:54am
  • SavethePitts

    SavethePitts (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    If you do not like Twilight midnight son will not be THAT much better but more interesting because it is basiclly Twilight from Edward's point of veiw..But I love the intire series and think they are the best books ever!!!
    July 6th, 2009 at 05:36am
  • annoushka

    annoushka (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I love the idea of vampires, and for a while, I was part of the Twilight-obsessed club. But upon reading the likes of Jane Eyre and the legendary Harry Potter after finishing the Twilight series, I find myself completely and utterly disinclined to re-read the books. The movie also let me down a great deal. Hyped-up and long-awaited, it was a real let down for me. The plot was more unbelievable from that of the book and rather than enhance what the book could potentially be, it made it even more unrealistic. Bella was dull, boring, not an ounce of humour or even her fabled clumsiness was not present. I am, in all fairness, a Robert Pattinson fan, but I did not think he lived up to the Edward so many people love.

    I will see New Moon when it comes out, but probably because my friends want to go. I may, or may not read Midnight Sun, I am yet undecided. But overall, I an dissapointed. There is talk of Twilight being almost bible-like, well, give me a classic anyday.
    May 10th, 2009 at 08:23pm
  • squidward tentacles.

    squidward tentacles. (255)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    73
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with Don't Forget This Name....The story was lacking, the characters are unbelievable in evey way, and Edward is a freakish pedophile.
    April 24th, 2009 at 06:39am
  • Florence Welch

    Florence Welch (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    And I agree with High_School_Outcast. A huge lack of communication between them.
    Dissapointing.
    April 22nd, 2009 at 05:49pm
  • Florence Welch

    Florence Welch (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    The only thing I have to say is, I strongly dislike Twilight. There are so many reasons, it's not just the writing style. I just feel the characters where unbelievable. Edwards something hundred years old.. And she's seventeen or whatever. Yes, their relationship makes you want to read more, because it can be pretty sweet at times.. But I found it really creepy if I'm honest. He seems very possesive and I don't like it. I think it's great if people DO like it though, I just wish everyone would stop talking about it all the time when they don't realise Im not interested..
    April 22nd, 2009 at 05:46pm
  • Crazy Beautiful

    Crazy Beautiful (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    One more thing I forgot to add...I liked the movie but not as much as i thought I would....it was a little off how they didn't talk much though in the begining. I was like this is so Awkward!
    April 18th, 2009 at 08:59am
  • Crazy Beautiful

    Crazy Beautiful (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    I really love the Twilight books and in my "own" opinion I thought there was nothing wrong about the style of writing...it's very simple to understand. I do see where Bella gets a little frustrating and I say this out of my love for these books but she got on my nerves because I thought it was stupid for her to say she loved Edward but yet in 'Eclipse' she realizes she was in love with Jacob....this got on my nerves to no end...Anyway I see why I like it so much but I'm not expecting someone else to feel the same way.
    April 18th, 2009 at 08:56am
  • Green Tea.

    Green Tea. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree completely with High_School_Outcast
    March 27th, 2009 at 11:34pm
  • High_School_Outcast

    High_School_Outcast (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    Do you know what meakes me laugh about the movie?

    The fact that there is a serious lack of any form of communication between Bella and Edward. Did anyone else notice how little they talked?

    I understand that it is easier for talking to be summarized in a novel, but I don't know, their relationship seemed to be really lacking in that department.... they just seem to lie next to each other in silence.

    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned in my belief that you should be able to have a decent lengthed conversation with your partner XD
    March 25th, 2009 at 05:04am
  • Adam Glambert.

    Adam Glambert. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I read the Twilight series, got to the part where Edward sparkled, and threw it across the room.

    Vampires shouldn't sparkle. end of story.

    Not to mention her writing style was like that of some people on Mibba that can't write about a can of peas, let alone the Jonas Brothers, Twilight, or My Chemical Romance...
    March 23rd, 2009 at 01:47am
  • we are not amused;

    we are not amused; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I read the twilght series and I absolutely loved them when I read the books for the first time. After that, almost my whole class wanted to read them so I lent them out.
    When I got twilight back, I read it again, just to freshen up my memory.

    I was very disappointed. Stephenie Meyer is not that great of a writer. To me, she writes about as good as some of the students in my grade eight class can, which I find annoying.

    I am not saying I no not like the series, because I do, very much. The whole plot is good, but a bit unrealistic. Bella seemed to be the 'perfect new girl' who everyone loved, and Edward the 'amazing vampire' who just so happens to be single when Bella arrives is quite cliche. And yes I know, vampires do not exist, but Mrs. Meyer could have tried a little bit harder to develope her characters.

    I also read her book for older readers 'The Host' and I have to say, she did a much better job on that one.

    Once again, I do like the twilight series, but it could use an upgrade.
    March 21st, 2009 at 08:35pm
  • Jessica. ftw

    Jessica. ftw (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    I deeply enjoyed the entire 'Twilight' Saga.
    I do agree, though. Bella was a bit irritating. As I think about it now, I just picture Romeo and Juliet. Falling in love within a few hours.
    Stephenie drug out their love, though.
    I do respect her for that.

    Bella was annoying by Edward a bit at the beginning. So, it wasn't "oh, I love you." "oh really? me too!"

    Edward is my favorite character, but not for the obvious reason.
    Not for how he makes every girl that reads the series melt. Or how attractive he's made out to be.
    But, because of his personality. And how sarcastic he is.
    I love that (:

    Another thing to touch on is the Vampires' perfection.

    They are mythological creatures which authors and everyday people can create and twist up in their minds to be however they see them.
    Stephenie saw them as perfection, and poise. With a dark twist...they are known to be evil.

    The movie wasn't as good as it was hyped up to be. It skipped over quite a few details that could have been used to the movie's advantage.
    And, I absolutely hated the way Kristen Stewart played Bella's part.
    You think of Bella as a gentle, feminine girl, who was clumsy and quiet.
    Kristen portrayed her as tomboy-ish, and irritating, actually.

    But, the movie quality wasn't bad. And, the other actors were just fine.

    Altogether, I love the series, and I love the movie, aside from Kristen.

    (:
    March 19th, 2009 at 08:04pm
  • emilypaget

    emilypaget (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Australia
    Every girl wants to find the 'perfect' man. I do see your point. I read the books just before it became popular and I loved it...sorta...I think Edward and Bella are terrible characters and take up too much f the book.Personally, I like the 'quiet' characters or as some people call them 'background' characters. Anyways after I read twilight I started reading other books and liked them better than Stephane Meyer even though,I still stuck to it and I wait for the other movies. If you want a good read, try the series Vampires Kisses. It's a common but orginal story and thats wat I like about it.
    March 17th, 2009 at 07:11am
  • lindsaylunacy

    lindsaylunacy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Canada
    I read Twilight a couple years ago and passed it on to a few close friends. It was our thing, you know? Now we walk around and it's everywhere, literally. It's irritating, honestly. But I knew it was going to happen. It was my favorite series, period. Since then I've found a new, more exciting and less cliche serise that I enjoy more, but Twilight is still a good series and I still refuse to watch the movie.

    Robert Pattinson- since the beginning, I never wanted to see play Edward. I never wanted a movie, but it's like the new Harry Potter.

    Whatever. You got the kids who were original readers, the tag-alongs-because-its-in, the new-comers and the haters. How's that different from any other 'big-trend' that's happened?

    It was bound to happen sooner or later.
    March 12th, 2009 at 09:26pm
  • badfishh

    badfishh (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    everyone says they are an original fan. so what? it doesn't make anyone special. go read some anne rice. mature writing, more exact on vampire details.
    March 3rd, 2009 at 11:53pm
  • Designated Drinker

    Designated Drinker (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    people are just fans because they thought that Robert Pattinson is 'so hot' and because they wished Edward Cullen was real.
    I didn't really like Twilight, the book, but I liked the rest of them. But the only reason I couldn't really get into Twilight was because I had read New Moon and Eclipse before I was able to get my hands on Twilight.
    Book stores didn't really start carrying Twilight until the movie came out, same with libraries. It annoys me that they only started reading the book/putting it on shelves because its become a big time movie.
    People who only watched the movie because they thought "Edward Cullen" was hot, disgust me. I was a fan of the book before the movie was even discussed. Sure, I love the movie, and can't wait until New Moon, but seriously people. Get over the fact that Robert Pattinson is "soo cute!" and actually read the books, and not just because the movies came out.
    I know a few people who read the books just because of the movie, and that's just retarded. Don't read something just because there's a movie about it.
    March 1st, 2009 at 01:50am
  • VampireChicks

    VampireChicks (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    i love twiligh6
    26236
    23
    3
    23
    t
    February 27th, 2009 at 11:07pm