Twilight: How Did it Become so Popular? - Comments

  • solonghelena

    solonghelena (155)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Everyone thinks Twilight is a great book because they've never read other books to compare it to.
    February 24th, 2009 at 09:22pm
  • Skiba

    Skiba (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I totally agree with this. Especially this part:
    "The writing style was very disappointing. I had to admit that Stephenie Meyer's writing abilities were no better then a middle school student with a talent for writing. I was highly disappointed."
    I found the story boring at times and it seemed more like a group of events strung together than a novel. I understand it's intended to be a teenage book, but the language was very simple and made it even more boing.
    I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this, but it's my opinon and i'm allowed to say it: I thought the movie was ten times better than the book. At least it actually caught my attention.
    February 24th, 2009 at 08:39pm
  • ColorlessReflection

    ColorlessReflection (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    The glittering skin does serve a purpose. The vampires cannot be seen in the sun because they sparkle, and this would expose them. Being unable to be seen in the sun is a vampire quality. However, there wouldn’t be much of a story if the characters could not go out in the daytime. I think it’s a compromise, and a brilliant spin on vampire legend. It is also the reason they live in Forks, one of the rainiest places in the US. Bella hates the rain, but chooses to stay in Forks to be with Edward. In other words, it helps develop the story. It also creates conflict, especially at the end of New Moon.

    The vampires are “perfect” only in the appearances. Edward also states that they are beautiful to humans, but human eyes are clouded. All of the vampires have character flaws, except maybe Carlisle. They are not written to be perfect in everyway. Bella only describes them as beautiful or perfect, because that is the way she sees them.

    I agree with you that Stephenie's writing style resembles a middle or high school writer. However, a lot of people who make that comment are a hypocrite. (I’m not calling you one.) They completely break her writing apart, but then praise stories on mibba that are written in the same style and are less original. I know there are a TON of those writers on here who dream of writing a novel one day. Stephenie did not set out to be a famous novelist. She simply came up with an idea, wrote it, and her idea became famous. That is something that so many kids on this site want to happen to them someday.

    The truth of the matter is that Twilight is not a great work of fiction, it is a young adult novel. It sits on the shelf at the bookstore next to a dozen other vampire novels designed to be read by middle school and high school kids. It wasn't meant to be analyzed in English class. If you can't stand to read it because you think the writing style is terrible, the characters aren’t developed, you think it’s cliché, etc. that is probably because you are too advanced to be reading a young adult novel.

    Twilight became popular because teenagers read it and liked it. They could relate to it someway, and it became important to them. Then their friends read it, and so on. This pattern turned Twilight into a trend. It could be said that Twilight is the new emo.
    February 24th, 2009 at 07:56pm
  • gone4now

    gone4now (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    i think that you should give the first book "Twilight" a second chance, the beginning of it was boring for me too, and it doesnt get good until the very later chapters, give it another chance and read further, youll like it :)
    February 24th, 2009 at 07:44pm
  • taking back sunday.

    taking back sunday. (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    its not the book i hate, its the author. she CAN NOT write. and shes so flaky about it.
    February 24th, 2009 at 07:28pm
  • Drink Me.

    Drink Me. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Yemen
    Vampires is how it got me hooked!
    I'm a sucker for vampires.
    I actually read Twilight WAYYY before the hype
    No offense but the newer fans seem....crazy = /
    February 24th, 2009 at 07:16pm
  • Green Raspberries.

    Green Raspberries. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    The glimmering skin in the movie, just looked like sweat to me. I completely agree with you about the idea being good but the writing leaving much to the imagination. I think if a different author wrote the book about the same characters (Bella a little less annoying) it would be much more enjoyable.
    February 24th, 2009 at 06:53pm
  • JeffreyLionelDahmer

    JeffreyLionelDahmer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Sweden
    i didn't really get that "shiny skin" thingy either..
    February 24th, 2009 at 06:50pm
  • smile_in_your_sleep

    smile_in_your_sleep (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I agree. I like reading about vampires and werewolves all that sci-fi stuff.
    I love Bella because I can relate to her, but she is boring person, she just complains and whines WAY to much! and it's annoying.
    The movie on the other hand, was dissapointing, they left so much out. I like the movie because i finally got to see Bella, Edward and the rest of the Cullens on the big screen.
    The reason why the movie is somewhat better than the book is because, the actors (Kristen Stewert and Rob Pattinson) Kristen played Bella well, because she showed some fear in Edward than the "Bella" actually does. And Rob played Edward so SO good, he showed the creepy side of him and showed the caution he has to use around Bella. So good. They did awesome!

    But over all i do agree with this article. good job.
    February 24th, 2009 at 06:33pm
  • Penguin.

    Penguin. (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I agree, good story line, everything else was too plain.
    It should die down by now, especially as the movie was even more dissapointing in my opinioun.
    February 24th, 2009 at 05:57pm
  • strange.

    strange. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I think we've had enough articles about Twilight now people ¬¬
    Although I like it, I'd also like to see it all die down.
    February 24th, 2009 at 05:55pm
  • This Isn't Really Me

    This Isn't Really Me (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I concur.
    February 24th, 2009 at 04:49pm
  • rhonnica goes rawrr.

    rhonnica goes rawrr. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    i agree with you 100%

    some of my friends are 'twilighters' but they don't take things to the extreme. they like the books and the movie. i however.. didn't really care for the books or the movie in the least bit.

    Either way, i'm glad someone out there feels the same as I do.
    February 24th, 2009 at 04:15pm
  • Technibabble

    Technibabble (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    I'm more interested in Midnight Sun as my next reading book. I like the spin on the original book, and hopefully she will write it more maturely than Twilight. ^^
    February 24th, 2009 at 04:05pm
  • Shawty.

    Shawty. (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I'm the other way around. I adore Twilight, but midnight sun is just repeating what I already know. It is good, but I found it hard to read because I already knew what was going to happen.

    It was the film coming out that brought the series to my attention. But I really wasn't interested in it. I wanted the books, but I think the film is amazing too though.
    February 24th, 2009 at 03:38pm
  • decadent

    decadent (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Estonia
    i agree with you on almost everything, especially bella's lack of personality and meyer's writing style. the book is good if you need some simple entertainment and you don't feel like concetrating on anything, but that's about it. it most definitely isn't "the best teen novel of all times blah blah." i could rant on for hours what i didn't like in the book (i liked the book in general, but some of the details pissed me off to no end), but i'm not going to :)

    and in my opinion the movie sucked so so much. the trailer was awesome, but the movie itself was utter crap. the only pleasure i got out of it was staring at the gorgeous kristen steward for two hours.
    February 24th, 2009 at 02:54pm