Harry Potter vs. Twilight: The Facts - Comments

  • Jojo.

    Jojo. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Philippines
    OK... I read the Twilight series already, including the film.
    I haven't read the Harry Potter series except for little parts in different books in the series I randomly opened (it's too pricey; more or less $200 the whole series) but I've watched the movies several times already.

    I think... J.K. Rowling is a better writer but I agree, they cannot be compared because they tell different stories [i]however[/i] their way of writing could be compared, right?

    J.K. Rowling is much detailed and you're right, because it's in 3rd person, we could see almost everything in every angle but in Twilight, all we can hear is Bella's opinion and the way she sees things.

    By the way, nice article. Although there are errors in some info's.
    March 31st, 2009 at 11:13am
  • Amelia Pond;

    Amelia Pond; (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I know the two of them can't be compared, but that's what you should tell the people that are saying how Twilight is going to be the next Harry Potter and JK Rowling is going to be overpowered by Stephanie Meyer, and frankly you can't say that when the woman is richer than the Queen of England.

    I am aware that Italy happens in New Moon and Jacob's point of view doesn't happen throughout the whole book, but I did do a rough look on both series not only on the first books.
    March 31st, 2009 at 04:56am
  • nutmeg-smithy-165

    nutmeg-smithy-165 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    you can't compare Twilight and Harry Potter because they are completely two different stories and should not be compared. i love bothe series equally.

    the article was a written extremely well but i have to point out some mistakes. Jacob's point of view is only in the fourth book and not thoughout the entire series.
    New Moon takes place partly in Italy not Eclipse.

    i got through the twilight series a lot faster than the harry potter series. i read up to half way through the fifth HP book and stopped. right now i am readding the sixth because i have nothing else to read without rereading anything.

    i like both books though but i am more of a Twilight fan.
    March 30th, 2009 at 11:33pm
  • Oscar Wilde

    Oscar Wilde (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    J K Rowling is by far a better author.

    It doesn't matter which book anyone prefers...
    March 30th, 2009 at 01:09pm
  • Your.Pink.Diary

    Your.Pink.Diary (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    Ok, I love Twilight and Harry Potter, and I'm a fan of both. Honestly, they can't be compared. It annoys me when people try to do so. Harry Potter is about a young wizard, by default of his birth he's caught in a battle with one of darkest wizards ever, and he has to face problems every teenager has to, school, friends, romances... etc. Twilight is about a 17 year old girl who falls in love with a vampire.

    Please please pllleeeaassseeee tell me what they have in common? aside from having fantasy worlds existing in our world, nothing (and even then, the wizarding world is an entire society hidden from our, the vampires just try to blend in the best they can).

    I really wish people would stop comparing them. It's only becuase they're both successful books, majority of their fans are teenagers that they get put together.

    Yes, Harry Potter is much better written (I'll admit that). But until you write a successful book don't go bashing on Stephanie Meyer.
    March 30th, 2009 at 08:42am
  • primum.non.nocere

    primum.non.nocere (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I am in no place to comment because I have so far not read Twlight or any of its series. I did, however watch the film and found Patterson (sp.?) quite scary, his sparkliness was a bit weird...almost like when you cover glass with clear nail varnish and put it in the sun...fyi, I tried it and the British sun does make it look like a vampire-glass...lol, but his driving...or rather the stunt man's driving was awesome and cool. However, if I was younger, I would have had terrible nightmares of that guy.

    Anyway, well done for a good, well-supported balanced argument! Keep it up!
    March 29th, 2009 at 06:37pm
  • dreamerforever

    dreamerforever (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Twilight, hands down. I don't need the facts.
    March 29th, 2009 at 06:34pm
  • Amelia Pond;

    Amelia Pond; (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Oh gosh I'm so sorry!
    In Latin America we measure in meters not feet
    March 28th, 2009 at 02:24am
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    [i]Enter, Jacob Black, a normal 15 year old boy, except for the fact that he’s around 2 feet tall and a werewolf.[/i]

    He was a midget?!
    March 27th, 2009 at 11:50pm
  • rumbleroar

    rumbleroar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I love both but Harry Potter will always win. It's just a better story, better plot, characters, description, etc. Twilight's good for a quick, easy read but Harry Potter's complex in it's way and J. K. Rowling created her own world.
    March 27th, 2009 at 11:29pm
  • Green Tea.

    Green Tea. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I was a big fan of both before. But not really anymore. I wasn't such a fan that I would put up a poster but just a fan on the inside. I think the vibes of both books are very different and aren't similar at all.
    March 27th, 2009 at 07:59pm
  • ninjaturtle-tori

    ninjaturtle-tori (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    thank you! This is really going too far. It doesn't matter. Really. Harry Potter came first and Stephanie Meyer came up with an idea that relates to people with lower reading levels than Harry Potter.

    It's true that the largeness of a Harry Potter book scares people, I know. I've talked to my friends and they refuse to read Harry Potter, but they watch the movies and love them more than Twilight, which, let's remind everyone where they got Robert Pattinson from HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE

    Oh, yes, it's true.

    And where did Harry Potter get most of their actors? Most were unknown before and are almost household names now. Twilight was loaded with already known actors.

    I like both, and I read Twilight BEFORE it was popular. Along with Harry Potter. But I hate to say it, Harry Potter caught on, WAY quicker than Twilight and I NEVER heard someone throw chemical acid in someone else's face for saying: "please stop reading Harry Potter while we do our science experiment." but you hear about it from twilight.

    ITS A FREAKIN BOOK, SERIOUSLY. stop getting obsessed.
    March 27th, 2009 at 03:22pm
  • Alice Verney

    Alice Verney (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    like some other people have said im glad that you wrote an article explaining both series even though I myself have read both serious multiple times. I'm sorry to say to all those omg twilight fans but harry potter is a hell of a lot better it makes you use your imagination more and it has you on the edge of the seat from the very first page in sorcerer's (philosopher's) stone to the very last page in the deathly hallows. They called twilight saga the new hp and it doesnt live up to the expectations of surpassing hp. yes the books are good but harry potter is better. im sorry but its my opinion and movie wise hp beats out twilight on cast and gross yes i know that rob pattinson was in hp4 and now is edward but he seemed to fit more into hp then twilight.
    March 27th, 2009 at 05:03am
  • Amelia Pond;

    Amelia Pond; (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I will try and check out all of these suggestions people are giving me :3
    Thank you
    March 27th, 2009 at 04:21am
  • Careless Whisper.

    Careless Whisper. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    Personally, I hate Harry Potter.
    Twilight is a guilty pleasure of mine.

    Everyone has their own styles of writing.

    My favorite author is Dean Koontz, and he pwns the heck out of both these authors. ;)
    March 27th, 2009 at 04:17am
  • inactiveaccount.

    inactiveaccount. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    99
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Rowling's plots and writing style are so much better than Meyer's.
    There's really no competition imo.
    March 26th, 2009 at 10:34pm
  • Amelia Pond;

    Amelia Pond; (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    PS. jackxsallly and Mary Alice, if you would've taken your time I clearly stated:
    "during the 4th book Edward impregnates Bella."
    So please, READ correctly
    March 26th, 2009 at 05:59pm
  • Amelia Pond;

    Amelia Pond; (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I've read all of those authors you've mentioned, and I like Dickens a lot, however I am also a big fan for the HP series.
    March 26th, 2009 at 05:28pm
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I strongly dislike both series of books. I don't feel either author can write particularly well, but it must be said: Rowling writes circles around Meyer.

    I urge everyone who is obsessed (or just a fan of) either series to try out Kelley Armstrong, Neil Gaiman or Douglas Adams. They are (were) some seriously talented authors - and I'm not even getting started on the authors I respect. Anyone heard of Charles Dickens? Awesome dude.

    Read them, and then Meyer and Rowling too. Do it with a critical eye. If you can't see what I'm talking about you seriously need to take English again.
    March 26th, 2009 at 04:56pm
  • MeghanLydie

    MeghanLydie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    i like your article it was very opinionated.

    it brought up some controversy, and i completely agree with you.
    there are so many other well written books other than twilight. the only reason it is so popular is because of the teenie boppers.

    and uhm jackxsally; princess learn the difference between there their and they're. and also learn how to spell and properly criticize someone before you actually try to do it next time.

    OBVIOUSLY you don't understand she was divulging her opinion in a nice way by comparing and saying that she thought harry potter was better.

    no ones opinion exceeds anyone elses.

    i mean that's what this website is for anyways, creative and expressive writing.

    very well written.
    i liked it a lot :D
    March 26th, 2009 at 04:31pm