They Only Hire The Beautiful. Is It Wrong? - Comments

  • veronika

    veronika (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Australia
    This isn't anything new. A+F certainly aren't the first store to hire people based solely on looks, not by a long shot. I personally think it should be up to the company to hire whatever people they feel fits the job. Their clothes, from what I can gather (we don't have A+F over here in Australia), are in a certain style, and they want their employees to reflect that style. Companies do that [i]all the time[/i]. Over here, there are some stores that probably wouldn't hire you if you were over a size 14. Why? Because you wouldn't be able to fit into their clothes. It makes sense.
    And there are some stores that probably wouldn't hire you if you didn't have at least several piercings and a few tattoos, because of their image.

    I think it should be up to the company. It may not be fair to everyone. but I believe the company has a right to hire whoever they want.
    September 29th, 2009 at 01:33am
  • TheAwkwardTurtle

    TheAwkwardTurtle (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    38
    Location:
    United States
    A&F should be called "Abercrombie and Facist".

    It's companies like this that are the reason that millions of teenage girls are jamming their fingers down their throats so that they can fit into these crap-tastic overpriced clothes.
    September 28th, 2009 at 03:40pm
  • Brian Haner Jr

    Brian Haner Jr (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    Bah, i hate places like this.
    In Australia, we have a clothing store called Supre'. I don't know if America has it, but they did a similar thing to this.
    One of their stores was hiring, they place a little sign saying so in the front window of the store.
    On the sign, in big bold underlined letters was: "Want to work for Supre? Ask about the job inside. Must be no bigger then a size eight."
    Now over here, sizes are different to American sizing. A size 8 over here is roughly a size 4 over there.
    So it's not only America being this way.
    They need to change their ideals. It's sending the wrong messages.

    If they want "major sales" then they need to rethink this plan. I'd rather approach a normal looking salesperson who's not going to look down their nose at me, then one with their head in the clouds thats going to judge me.
    September 28th, 2009 at 10:02am
  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    the lady who was moved to the backroom, that was definitely discrimination.
    and she should win her case.
    most lawsuits that involve a dress code that has been standing for a long time will win.
    September 28th, 2009 at 09:22am
  • Your.Pink.Diary

    Your.Pink.Diary (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    ... I've never even heard of this store...

    Anyway, it's sort of dumb, but I think heaps of shops do it. Honestly, there are some shops where I only ever see your typical 'beautiful' person working there. I guess a big deal is only made out of this store because its a massive chain?

    Anyway, why would anyone even want to work somewhere that prejudice like that?
    September 28th, 2009 at 06:14am
  • chemical lovelies.

    chemical lovelies. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    That's the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

    Really, if should come down to whether or not they actually [i]work[/i] good, instead of [b]looking[/b] good.

    I want to go in there dressed head to toe in black, black skin tight skinnies, black band t-shirt, black nail polish, eyeliner, eye shadow, lipstick, black hightop chuck taylors, "emo" hair, the whole nine yards and see if they give me a job, then go and dress in denim cut off shorts, "preppy" hair, flip-flops, and spaghetti strap tank top and see if they give me the job then.

    I think it's based on stereotypes.
    September 28th, 2009 at 05:26am
  • Jinxeh

    Jinxeh (805)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I didn't really care...until I read about the girl who was hired there, without anyone realizing that she had a fake arm. When they found out, they told her she could only work in the back room, lest any customers see her fake arm, and they also made her wear a sweater so it couldn't be seen. That's just [i]bullsh*t[/i], and totally over the line. I'm also disturbed by the managers' handbooks, that have examples of a guy and a girl from every race, which any applicant is supposed to look like. (All of the pictures are of teens of different races, but they're all the 'whitest' versions.) Yeesh.
    September 28th, 2009 at 05:04am
  • optimistic

    optimistic (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I completely agree with [b]Dungeons and Danny[/b].

    And if I had the money, I'd shop at A&F.
    September 28th, 2009 at 04:51am
  • Miss Authoress

    Miss Authoress (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I don't like A&F...never have. However, I am split, most favoring A&F in this case. Look at the fashion world, there is a competition for it. Models are suppose to be beautiful otherwise you can't be a model. It is a simple as that, looks DO matter. In today's society, we try to pretend that they don't matter, that what matters is actually on the inside. This may be true in some cases, but there are those cases where looks matter. Looks will always matter, in order for looks to no matter, we would have to blind. That's the world of fashion and of beauty and of advertisement.

    Now, if you are not happy with A&F, you can vote...with your dollar. Don't spend money, if your friends shop there, tell them the story and ask them to join you (if they agree with the cause of course)
    September 28th, 2009 at 04:51am
  • squidward tentacles.

    squidward tentacles. (255)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    73
    Location:
    United States
    On a sidenote; I'm hoping I didn't make this article seem biased or too opinionated. I was trying to express both views, but if anyone thinks I showed too much bias in any way, please let me know. I tried to make this sound as much like an article, and not a journal, as I could.
    September 28th, 2009 at 04:37am
  • thirty whacks;

    thirty whacks; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Thank god they aren't in Australia..
    September 28th, 2009 at 04:36am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I mean, one side of me is repulsed by that, by the fact that A&F thinks they've got the power to judge who's beautiful and who isn't. BUT on the other hand, isn't that what the entire Fashion world is about, what they've been doing? I mean, modeling companies and clothing designers decide how represent their clothes as far as magazine ads and runway shoes go, and can this be considered just another way to showcase the clothing in the best light - since the employees (the employees that work on the floor) wear the clothing that's being sold)?

    I don't know.
    September 28th, 2009 at 04:34am
  • nutmeg-smithy-165

    nutmeg-smithy-165 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    i think it's wrong. people really need jobs. i need a job. i wouldn't work there personally but still it is wrong. i probably wouldn't be hired by abercrombie because i'm overweight. they probably wouldn't think i'm beautiful either.
    i believe in "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but i don't want to be judged by some store.
    September 28th, 2009 at 03:44am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    "To be honest, there a bigger problems in our society."

    Like people being unable to get jobs and make enough money for their family.
    September 28th, 2009 at 03:31am
  • twateye

    twateye (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    To be honest, there a bigger problems in our society.
    September 28th, 2009 at 02:26am
  • Spirit-rockstar

    Spirit-rockstar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Beauty is everywhere in diffrent forms and A&F to do that is discrimating.And whats up with the whole all-american thing.I hate that crap because everyone in american looks diffrent and is diffrent from diffrent backgrounds and the all-american is the african-americans,arabics,asians,africans,europeans,pacific-islanders,native-americans and etc so that is so stupid to me.Enough said.
    September 28th, 2009 at 02:19am
  • bob nathaniel bryar

    bob nathaniel bryar (110)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i can honestly say I have never been into Avercrombie & Fitch and they're just a bunch of bozoo's who want to make teenagers into a crap load of [big word i can't say]
    September 28th, 2009 at 01:30am
  • Isabella.

    Isabella. (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Erm wow?
    September 28th, 2009 at 01:24am
  • beautyisbeast.

    beautyisbeast. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    i agree with Pretzel. xD
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:33am
  • xxshadesofgray

    xxshadesofgray (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    just a note on abercrombie: if they're selling clothes why dont there models wear them in the adds?
    September 28th, 2009 at 12:26am