Repo Men: Stole A Plot? - Comments

  • Kittie

    Kittie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah when I heard about this a few months ago, my mind was screaming RIPOFF.
    March 6th, 2010 at 07:43am
  • Mutant_Enemy

    Mutant_Enemy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    <3 is all I have to say to you.
    March 6th, 2010 at 07:40am
  • Kyra

    Kyra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    I'm not totally aware of the theaters thing, but if they show trailers in a movie theater, I'm assuming it means that's where it will be. So, if that's the case, then yes, they'll be showing it in theaters.
    March 6th, 2010 at 07:32am
  • Kyra

    Kyra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    When I saw the trailers for this, I seriously got SO furious about it. Fuck this movie, I don't care if it's good or not, it ripped off creativity and hard work that's been formed for at least 10 years.
    March 6th, 2010 at 07:30am
  • Kayne.Fakerr

    Kayne.Fakerr (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I completely agree what everyone else has already stated.
    REPO is by far one of my all time favourite movies and my boyfriend who has yet to watch it, made more of a fuss over the rip-off than i did lol.
    I dont agree with the re-make with no mention of REPO, nor do I agree with the complete cancellation of the characters, all of whom I fell in love with.
    Mainly Pavi, Graverobber and Blind Mag.. but I am, after much thinking.. willing to give the movie a chance.
    I completely understand that its meant to target those who would not be interested in REPO, but its still the fact that I dont see them being intrigued by REPO, if there is no mention of it.
    My take on it is just suck it up and realize if we become beasts about it, we make the movie, REPO, look like trash.
    March 6th, 2010 at 05:57am
  • Jes

    Jes (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I'm so glad someone wrote about this! I think it is a rip-off. If you go on Darren Bousman's blog, you'll see that the similarities are much too similar. He has even staed in a interview that the producers of the movie Repo Men were working in the same building as Repo! The Genetic opera, when it was being made, and that some of the people behind Repo Men/ Repossession Mambo went to the stage plays that Terrance Zdunich and Darren Smith held a decade ago.

    There isn't much anyone can do about it coming out, and I think people shouldn't go and protest, because that just makes people think badly about Repo! The Genetic Opera. I'm protesting by not buying a ticket to see Repo Men, and I have no intention of ever seeing it. Ideas for books and movies have been stolen and transformed for years, it's just a shame you cannot patent ideas. =/
    March 6th, 2010 at 05:47am
  • Be_Not_Seen

    Be_Not_Seen (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    mikeypuff said it all.
    March 6th, 2010 at 05:00am
  • wake.the.dead

    wake.the.dead (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    REPO! was good, but I think that people are making too big of a fuss over the whole thing. There are plenty of movies out there that share really similar story lines. And I for one am pretty interested to see how Repo Men is. It would probably be a good idea to put any anger and 'disgust' on hold until after seeing the movie.
    March 6th, 2010 at 04:33am
  • Cassandra Lee

    Cassandra Lee (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    this new movie gives no credit to the amazing genetic opera (which i love) which made me really angry...it has nothing to do with the original yet it basically stole the plot
    March 6th, 2010 at 04:28am
  • mikeypuff

    mikeypuff (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah...

    Cookie cutter fail.
    March 6th, 2010 at 04:05am
  • whoa!letsgo

    whoa!letsgo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    It wasn't stolen. The movie that's coming out soon has simply transferred the main idea from the Genetic Opera into something that will appeal to a more main-stream audience. My friend was telling me about this (as he absolutely loves the opera, mainly because it's nontraditional) and he thinks it's more like a sequel.

    Even if it is a copyright issue, Repo would never make it to theaters because of all the lawsuits. Either the company bought the rights to the opera, got permission, or are creating some sort of sequel.
    March 6th, 2010 at 02:21am
  • PokerFace

    PokerFace (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Repo the genetic opera is one of my favorite movies, and im pissed they stole the plote
    March 6th, 2010 at 02:11am
  • Pallas

    Pallas (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I can somewhat understand why Repo Men would be shown in theatres.
    If it is so similar to Repo! then, maybe it was a second attempt to capture the sights of all the other audience spectrum. Not everyone loves a rock opera such as Repo!. It's kind of dark (that's why we love it), not everyone loves that. THough, Repo Men probably has more action scenes, hence the other end of the spectrum is entertained.
    No? I'm probably wrong anyway, but that is what I thought (after I stopped ranting about stolen plot).
    March 6th, 2010 at 01:58am
  • bewareofdogs

    bewareofdogs (1350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Thank GOD!
    Finally someone understands what I've been saying the entire time!
    March 6th, 2010 at 01:52am
  • Twelve Grimmauld

    Twelve Grimmauld (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I pretty much had a temper tantrum when I saw commercials of the "new" repo movie. I was, and still am, angry that they pretty much ripped off one of my favorite movies- and refuse to see it. I don't care that Terrance said not to get angry. I will get angry if I want *sniff*
    March 6th, 2010 at 01:35am
  • the Wizard

    the Wizard (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Puerto Rico
    I'm a REPO! the Genetic Opera fan, so the fact that they actually took it and Hollywood-ed it rather threw me off, and at first I just really didn't want to watch it or have anything to do with it. But then I saw the way they altered the story and automatically was interested. The Repo man himself needed an organ? I'm sold. It seems like a good film, and it doesn't seem like it had such a big budget (really, the thing that probably cost the most there was Jude Law and Forest Whitaker's paychecks). The fact that someone took a plot of a movie and altered it to make another isn't something new, and not only that, but many films that are completely unrelated to each other have the exact same plots (even Avatar; a little too much like Pocahontas, maybe?). So I'm gonna watch Repo Men and I think I'm going to love it as well. Plus, new fantasies of Jude Law as Graverobber singing 21st Century Cure. Odd combination, but I'd pay to see that.
    March 6th, 2010 at 12:17am
  • hunky dory

    hunky dory (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Yes, yes. I remember sitting in the movie theatre (upon seeing the preview of Repo Men) and going WHAT?! THEY STOLE THE PLOT OF ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES?

    It's somewhat irking how uncreative mainstream American cinema can sometimes be.
    March 5th, 2010 at 11:54pm
  • the hunger

    the hunger (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    [b]Xanny is a Weasly[/b]
    I never said your article was an"angry essay", I just said that I'm not going to go around and make Repo look bad. I also never said that your article MAKES repo look bad. Don't go jumping to conclusions.
    March 5th, 2010 at 08:55pm
  • phantomatthewindow

    phantomatthewindow (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    i looooooooooooooooove the genetic opera <33333
    but the movie that's coming out still looks good and i wanna see it.
    it would never be as creative as the genetic opera, but it still looks pretty sick!
    March 5th, 2010 at 08:45pm
  • building god.

    building god. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    v Thank you. I am not trying to say that Repo Men is a horrible movie. I am willing to give it a shot, I am just saying that they are very similar, and it is clear that one came before the other. I understand what Terrance and Darren said. I am aware of their feelings toward this new movie. But that does not mean that I'm going to feel at ease about it. I still think it's an awful thing to do. Like bill weasley said, I'm not writing an "angry essay". I'm just pointing out what needs to be pointed out.
    March 5th, 2010 at 04:45pm