Vampire Overkill - Comments

  • mooseyfate

    mooseyfate (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    i love vampires. they are one of my favorite fictional creatures. but this twilight thing is way out of hand. in fact, i can't stand vampires! i read a ton of other books of vampires and i liked all of them (except for twilight. that was like a pedophile with no life stalking some chick who didn't think clearly) very much. 'salems lot is my favorite actually. but now, i despise vampires. if i hear vampire i just want to smack that erson. it's ridiculous.
    "The walrus. It's like a vampire. But awesome!" -from a shirt i recently bought
    August 14th, 2010 at 11:24am
  • thrutherabithole

    thrutherabithole (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I have to agree. Even though I love vampires. The recent fad has really put me off. I read twilight long before the fan girl craze happened. That also ruined it for me. Now in days i cant tolerate pop culture and find myself saying not another vampire (book, movie, tv show, etc). I miss Anne Rice's vampires. The only vampire related thing i can stand is 'true blood', which i love.
    August 11th, 2010 at 07:08am
  • Asteria

    Asteria (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Australia
    Sooo true. I'm a huge vampire fan, I love both the scary ones, the indepth ones and the loveable ones. But when this craze came everything is ruined for me. I write vamp stories but in my creative writing course at uni I have to keep my mouth shut because everyone is in a craze and killing the awesome myth. When someone says 'vampire' people either scream or groan in excitement or annoyance, why? Twilight. People now can only think of the twi-vamps rather then the awesome vamps like Lestat, Dracula, Selene, Darren Shan and those from the Sherrilyn Kenyon books; the Dark-Hunters. Vamps have now lost their ferocity and it sucks. MAJORLY!
    August 10th, 2010 at 01:16pm
  • Sing Me a Song

    Sing Me a Song (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with the overkill.
    Vampires are now "the thing to be."

    I try to avoid everything vampire, as it's gone out of hand with 12 and 13 year old fan girls and 40-something year old "twilight moms".
    August 9th, 2010 at 09:16pm
  • smile_in_your_sleep

    smile_in_your_sleep (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I'm a huge Twilight fan. I do agree with the overkill though. Twilight is everywhere, putting a bad name on Bram Stoker's "Dracula". I agree with you on there. I agree with Dirty Byrd though, I don't understand why people can say "I hate Twilight. I really wish all the fans will just fall of a cliff and die." If you like a character, I would consider you a fan. Like say Jasper is your favorite, and you only tolerate the series because of him, well your a fan. I think anyway.

    Vampire Diaries and True Blood are really good shows. They both sort of stick with the traditional vampire plot, but you can't help to pick up Twilight things. Honestly, Twilight copied them. Vampire Diaries was written way back in the early 90s I believe, yet, everyone insists on saying it copies Twilight.

    Now theirs a movie called "Vampires Suck" based on Twilight, True Blood and Vampire Diaries. Another kill.

    Anyway, I'm just rabbling and have no point lol. But that's what I feel :)
    August 4th, 2010 at 06:01pm
  • die Bienen Knie

    die Bienen Knie (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I don't hate Twilight, I'm not a fan but I don't HATE it. I never read the books but Eclipse was a decent movie *shrugs*. Personally, though spazzy fangirls annoy me I think it's a little stupid for someone to say they only liked Twilight before it was a craze. If you like it you should continue to like it, it's not a big deal.

    About vampire overkill though, I certainly agrree with that part. Not with the fact that people are getting too into Twilight but that you can't turn on the TV without another vampire TV show, those are the things that bother me.
    July 30th, 2010 at 02:18am
  • Janine Mimi

    Janine Mimi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I myself loved vampires long before Twilight (though I admit in the time when I WAS a Twilight fan it did rekindle my love though now I can't stand it), and a part of me is happy to see vampires are popular while another part of me is tired of it. There are some REALLY good vampire stories out there, some of which I noticed don't get as much attention as they deserve, and although they are hard to find they do exist. I love vampire stories, and unfortunatley when I'm bored I have a tendancy to write them, but I get the feeling the vampire trend will die off once the Twilight movies are done. In fact, my prediction is that the next big thing is going to be were wolves and I get the idea Twilight is to blame for that (although it's quite clear that Jacob is not a were wolf and is just a misconception many fans have of the series). But I think some good has come from the vampire overkill. For once thing, many actors and writers have been able to take advantage of this and become very successful. How many of us really knew Ian Somerholder before he appeared on Vampire Diaries? I'm sure many did, but he's even more well know now as the dangerous and sexy Damon. Not only that, but it gave many writers the chance to try and be original with vampires. Granted some have not been very original, there are many that have been able to put their name on the ideas of what makes a vampire.

    I'm ranting.... Sorry about that but good article! I get the feeling vampires will never quite die out, but the craze will. Either way, I'm excited to see what comes next. I just hope it isn't as over killed as vampires though.

    Janine Mimi
    July 27th, 2010 at 12:41am
  • Gryffindor_GreenDay2

    Gryffindor_GreenDay2 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I don't like any of the vampire shows and I am only a fan of the Twilight books, but not to the point where I am in love with the characters. Why don't these television people just make their own tv show that isn't sucking the myth of the vampire so dry that even the vampire becomes nothing but ash? If you want to watch something that isn't shitty vampire tv shows or Twilight movies, go watch/read Harry Potter or go watch Degrassi. They're personal faves of mine, and if people are going to get picky, then go play with gum under a desk or go play in traffic because in todays world, there is no reason to be picky. Please corporate America, leave the vamp myth alone. All you're doing is causing harm and making the myth seem more fake than it already is.
    July 26th, 2010 at 12:07pm
  • jennyxshads

    jennyxshads (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Like you, I was a big fan of the books before the craze took hold of nearly every 13-year-old girl in the country, which kind of sucked the fun out of it. Plus, I was in about eighth grade when I started reading them, so the plot and writing was sufficient enough for my reading skills at that time. I still go and see the movies, but so many young people who watch them don't even know about Bram Stoker and all of the good literature out there involving vampires, which really just kills my hopes for much good coming out of this craze.
    July 26th, 2010 at 12:07am
  • Ariveria

    Ariveria (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Very true article. I enjoy Twilight, even now, but like many others have said, the books aren't the best, and I was okay with the vampire-take before people started overdoing it. :/ Now, I can't like vampires without being questioned, I can't find many decent vampire stories (Though I recommend the Anita Blake series!), and when I went to La Push, people thought it was because of Twilight.
    No. Seriously, no. There's hiking and the most beautiful beaches I have EVER seen there, and my aunt lived an hour away. It had NOTHING to do with Twilight. I'm just a nature freak. :P
    July 23rd, 2010 at 04:56pm
  • angelsXgrowXwings

    angelsXgrowXwings (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    All I have to say is "30 Days of Night" besides the Twilight movies(which were horribly cast besides a few caracters) is the worst thing to have come out of the Vamp craz so far. I was excited to see it and the reality was soooo disappointing.
    July 18th, 2010 at 11:13pm
  • This is Lauren

    This is Lauren (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I prefer the more... violent vampires. All this romantic, mushy-gushy stuff is too much for me. I miss the days when vampires destroyed towns and massacred the population just to satisfy their blood-thirst. But hey, that's just me.
    July 17th, 2010 at 08:34am
  • bsal_83

    bsal_83 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    40
    Location:
    United States
    I love vampires and mythology in general. However, this whole Twilight craze is getting a tad ridiculous. I read the books and I liked them but truth be told, they are far from great and the movies aren't much to rave about either. I have read plenty of vampire books that I thought were far more creative. Like smarties though, I can't hate on Meyer for her success because I have a hell of a time finishing anything either. On the other hand, if Hollywood is going to go vamp crazy, it would be nice if they could make something good for once.
    July 9th, 2010 at 11:47pm
  • noisette

    noisette (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Ireland
    At first when the whole vampire hype came I ignored it and thought that it would be over in a few months. In fact I read all the Twilight books, and although they weren't the best books I had ever read, they were okay and I was happy for Meyer to have such success, because I have a tendancy to start but never finish my stories and well even getting past the second chapter is a feat for me. =[

    However it's gotten a little ridiculous. Every second book in book shops is about vampires. The plotlines just don't sound original anymore. At this point once I see the word 'vampire' in a blurb I'm instantly put off. I put it back on the shelf straight away.
    I'm sure they are all great, but I just can't stand it anymore.
    Like pretty much everyone else has said, it's complete and utter overkill.
    July 9th, 2010 at 09:23pm
  • Bloodwing

    Bloodwing (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    In a way, I agree with you all. But I also disagree with you all.

    Just because Twilight has disengaged in the vampire folklore, doesn't mean you should hate vampire stories. Yeah, I know, Twilight is beyond annoying now, but you can still believe what you want. I still believe whole-heartedly in them, like I did when I was 7, 8, 9, 10 - to now. I think of them, how I want. Not how others portray them in their own way.
    July 9th, 2010 at 08:46am
  • Leslie Calhoun.

    Leslie Calhoun. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Vampires used to be a stray, ludicrous thought in the back of most people's head-- if they even cared about that kind of "stupid" thing. Personally, I thought vampires were a sort of temptation. Everything about them was supposed to invite you in and creep you out.

    They were night lurkers. They couldn't be in the sun. They were damned in the eyes of god. All that good stuff. For the people who liked vampires before they became some newfound obsession, vampires were badass.

    As soon as the Twilight came out with it's bad plot and even more atrocious acting, boom. EVERYONE LOVES VAMPIRES. Because they sparkle. And they love you. And they don't want to kill you. I mean, seriously? Smeyer, in my eyes, basically killed one of the best legends.

    The fact that I loved vampires dearly doesn't even matter anymore, because everywhere I turn, there's someone trying to push vampire products in my face. Books, movies, clothing. Even food. It's becoming intensely annoying.

    The bad part is that vampires are everywhere. The worst part is that vampires-- the ones in your nightmares-- are being killed off by sparkly A-holes and horny 11yr.olds. I really hope this fetish dies off quickly.
    July 9th, 2010 at 02:55am
  • Icamane Hatake

    Icamane Hatake (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    V. I agree with The Reverend Twitch
    Vampires were just dandy until S. Meyer came along and decided to turn them into fairies. Now all everyone ever associates vampires with are her books, and it's really annoying. That and the fact that nearly half the books on the teen shevles in bookstores are vampire books. It is, like you've said, complete overkill.

    I mean, it would be okay if the Twilight series was actually decently written, but it's not, and that makes it just even more unbearable. I really don't think I spelled that right :P Anyways, all this vampire hype has made me totally lose my taste for vampire stories, so sadly I don't think I'll be reading any anytime soon.
    July 6th, 2010 at 04:40am
  • avrilnightt

    avrilnightt (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    41
    Location:
    United States
    You want to read some good books check out Loriell K. Hamilton's anita blake ceries' not there are some real vamps in there none of this crap you hear of with sparkles and kids.....its anoying... now what are us freaks gonna do lol'
    July 5th, 2010 at 10:35am
  • The Reverend Twitch.

    The Reverend Twitch. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I hated twilight. Throughou history, the vampire with other mythical creatures have been the subject of nightmares... Now, thanks to that idiotic woman, Stephenie Meyer, vampires and werewolves [even though they are lycans] has been ruined.

    Vampires do not sparkle. The.. first account of a vampire loving a human was dracula. Which was a way better book.

    I have read all four books and haven't touched them since. I would rather read something better for my already smart brain, such as the lost symbol by dan brown. Not something that would possibly degrade my brain power.
    July 3rd, 2010 at 11:19am
  • Iris Absurd

    Iris Absurd (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I meant to say *mental or physical need for blood
    July 3rd, 2010 at 06:00am