Stephenie Meyer: A Breath of Fresh Air - Comments

  • WickedRose

    WickedRose (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    The host is out already? I'll have to check that out.
    I remember when I read the first book, I was staying in a hotel in Prince's Street and it was raining outside, just like forks. I was already withdrawn and in that comfy holiday mood, then I got hooked and seriously brought it wherever I went, finally finishing it in the car on the way home. I wish I could go back to then becuase it's one of my favourite memories, but now the book just isn't quite as good, and although I liked new moon, I didn't LOVE it, like I did twilight, eclipse just seemed to drag on (though I read it on a much less peaceful holiday, stealing passages in the early morning and late night while my cousin bugged my constantly in the day), and I began to wonder, like Bella, why the hell Edward did like her so much. I'm hoping Meyer can rescue the series with breaking dawn and that my friend (who I actually talked to for the first time because she said Stephanie Meyer inspired her in RS) will be proved wrong in her scepticism of the movie.
    I'm still in love with the teenage dream of Edward, but, slowly, I'm coming to my senses. There's no doubt she's a good writer and, yes, practically every teenager on the internet has heard of her, but something is waning. I sincerely hope breaking dawn will be as good as the first book, when I picked it off the shelves almost a year, maybe more, ago unknowing it was going to be such a damn huge hit.
    June 27th, 2008 at 07:39pm
  • bucky barnes.

    bucky barnes. (705)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    The first time I read the Twilight series I was addicted beyond belief. I really couldn't get enough of Bella and Edward.
    But then I started rereading them and actually got around to think that it's really not that great of a series. More than half of the dialogue that comes out of the couples' mouths is cliche; each corny phrase is already a cute little bumper sticker on Facebook by now. And I'm getting very sick of Bella always doing something klutzy and stupid, only to have Edward "save the day" in the end.
    & I agree with ToTieBinds: I immediately thought back to all of those stories on Quizilla with titles like "I'M IN LOVE WITH A VAMPIRE??!!?!?" and then connected that to Twilight.
    I'm not completely sure how I feel about the whole series yet; I reserved a copy of the final book, so I'll definitely read it, but after that's over I'm pretty sure the thrill will vanish.
    June 24th, 2008 at 08:52pm
  • Mrs.Bellamy

    Mrs.Bellamy (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Great article! I've heard that her religious beliefs [being Mormon] is a big cause for the lack of sex/gore. I really respect that about her as well... I think that's why I love her books so much. =]
    June 20th, 2008 at 04:08am
  • lolz

    lolz (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Hm, interesting.
    I've read the first in the Twilight series. In my opinion, Meyers' work is fair, though her tendency to over write can be irritating, and her prose is littered with clichés--it comes across as a bit teenage and immature, though I'm sure in time Meyers will progress and become a great writer.

    Her books are not quite as fast-paced and addictive as Harry Potter, however--and I don't think anyone could realistically expect her to sell anything like as many books.
    June 16th, 2008 at 06:51pm
  • Tears May Stain

    Tears May Stain (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I think peoples dissapointment in theTwighlight series' come partly from people exaggerating it. If people big something up too much whent he second person comes to read it there disappointed bacause it deosnt reach thier expectations, they tell someone else, that person reads it and compared to thier friends opion it seems brilliant ... they tell someone else and so the cycle continues its pretty sad really :/

    i too thought it was structured well, but yeah it was way too predictable. my friends disagree.

    x
    June 13th, 2008 at 01:15am
  • ToTieBinds

    ToTieBinds (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    Bella is a crappy, shallow character that has the official term of Mary Sue
    Edward is a cold, emotionless, corny vampire
    The entire plot of Twilight can basically be considered to be made up of a bunch of afterthoughts created by Stephenie Meyer. It may as well be because there is basically no plot. You can go on quizilla.com and find the same exact bullshit. The woman needs to grow up and realize she is married and not a teenager anymore. She should stop daydreaming shitty books in which a vampire, a bloodsucking predator of humans, falls in love with a mortal. It's not going to fucking happen, especially to such an unoriginal and uninteresting character like Bella Swan a.k.a. My Name Is A Lame Pun.
    June 11th, 2008 at 12:29am
  • taking back sunday.

    taking back sunday. (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I skimmed this, And I understand where people are coming from by liking her. But I am NOT a fan of hers. Maybe its beacuse shes too popular...or maybe its because I dont agree why she possible could be an author. But either way, I respect those who do.
    June 10th, 2008 at 11:35pm
  • fountainhead

    fountainhead (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I used to really love the books, and though I cannot knock Stephenie's talent, the books are a bit overly-predictable and drab now that I'm re-reading them....
    June 3rd, 2008 at 09:53pm
  • Memories Remain;;

    Memories Remain;; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I'm so excited for the new movie!
    And DUDE i need to get The Host and read it now, haha thanks for letting me know even though you didn't mean to!
    June 3rd, 2008 at 07:07pm
  • Dysfunctional Beauty

    Dysfunctional Beauty (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I have to agree with VenusInFurs. I'm not a big Twilight fan.

    It's a little to.. teeniebopperish for me. I've read all of them too, it just doesn't appeal to me as much. It's well written though, and much better than books with explicit sex. It could just be because I'm a huge fan of Stephen King, Anne Rice, and books such as 'It', I Am Legend, Vampire Lestat, Valentine, The Black Dahlia, blah blah blah.
    But it was fun to read, very predictable though.
    June 1st, 2008 at 10:03am
  • littleblackconverse

    littleblackconverse (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    She's my favorite author all time =] I really love her writing style. I can't wait for the last book of the Twilight series, even though it will be sad for it to end. The Host was great to ^.^

    And people, it really doesn't matter if you hate or like the book, it's their own opinion. Don't bash people for expressing their feelings about the book because people have different tastes when it comes to what they read. I'm going with VenusInFurs on the "let me have my own opinion" thing.

    But whatever...Stephenie Meye is amazing =D
    May 31st, 2008 at 11:26pm
  • VenusInFurs

    VenusInFurs (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Canada
    In response to comment below , yes, i did actually red the first book , ages before it was " the cool new thing". I've not got "little friends", i happen to be 18 with friends who've read REAL books. You have your opinion , just let me have mine.
    To me , these boks aren't any good.
    May 30th, 2008 at 11:18pm
  • LullabyeLaura

    LullabyeLaura (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    VenusInFurs, have you actually read any of her books, or are you just going on what you've heard from your little friends? Stephenie Meyer is a very sophisticated writer who can tell a good story without it all being about sex, blood, and guts.
    May 30th, 2008 at 02:16am
  • VenusInFurs

    VenusInFurs (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Canada
    I don't hate this book because the lead character is a cardboard -cut out female stereotyep, which I guess she is. I just think S.M. is a shit writer for little kids who haven't developed higher standards in thier literature yet. As far as vampire books go, this shit is piss-weak.
    And hey , I'm a girl who loves to write ,and I would like to see some GOOD women authors who don't write about boy wizards or fucking vampires. Why are all my fav. novels written by men? why does it seem like every good book i ever read was thought up by some guy?
    Trainspotting , Virgin Sucides , Fight Club.. god , girls sucks.
    May 30th, 2008 at 12:53am
  • nerdy_

    nerdy_ (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Stephenie Meyer goes down among J. K. Rowling and Dan Brown because she writes better than other authors and because there is that controversy.

    "She's anti-feminist! Down with her!!!"
    "I hate her."
    "Bella Swan is such a stupid girl who always plays the damsel in distress."

    The above are some of the comments that the haters say. And on the opposite side, there are people who declare Stephenie Meyer and her characters the greatest in the world. Because there is such a stark difference between these two groups' opinions, there is bound to be arguments.

    Like Gabster said, Brown, Rowling, and Meyer each have their own little niche. And maybe they are all a bit overrated but that doesn't stop people from reading and forming their own opinion.

    Personally, I like the fact that people argue about them. Sure, some of the discussions are a bit stupid, but the fact is that people are [i]reading[/i]. And that makes me happy.
    May 29th, 2008 at 09:02pm
  • AntsInMyPants101

    AntsInMyPants101 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    would everyone just stop saying it sux
    i mean i like it alot of ppl like it and y did u even read anything on her if u think she cant write?
    gah stupid ppl do stupid things and say stuff that even more stupid
    May 29th, 2008 at 01:56am
  • Nailpolish Erotican

    Nailpolish Erotican (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    40
    Location:
    United States
    I honestly don't know what's wrong with everyone.

    Twilight was possible the worst book I've ever read, and I can't find any redeeming qualities about it whatsoever.
    May 27th, 2008 at 03:58am
  • BEEWILD3R.

    BEEWILD3R. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I love this woman, period.
    May 26th, 2008 at 05:21am
  • rumbleroar

    rumbleroar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Stephenie Meyer is amazing in my opinon. She has written four wonderful books and I'm sure her next one will be as great. True as just_call_me_dookie said, she won't be J. K. Rowling but I think she will be close :] These two authors have helped me with so much through their books and I love them both for it :]
    May 25th, 2008 at 04:51am
  • Iago-Disco

    Iago-Disco (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Stephanie Meyer has her place, in the same way J.K Rowling has, but i think perhaps her popularity outweighs her ability. I'm not bagging her out here, twilight was moderately entertaining and i'll probably read the rest of them eventually, but, just like Dan Brown, Stephanie Meyer has become some (as you said) world wide phenomenon for writing a love story about (of all things) Vampires and werewolves. J.K Rowling did it with wizards, Dan Brown did it with jesus and Mrs Meyer has now done it with vampires and werewolves. Good on her, but i can't see Twilight getting the Nobel Prize for literature.
    So really, while the Twilight series is entertaining and romantic, i'd hardly call it a breath of fresh air.
    The old Man and the Sea, Of mice and Men, to kill a Mockingbird, Hamlet, Tuesdays with morrie, these are the books that could well be described as 'a breath of fresh air', Stephenie Meyer, well, maybe not
    gabe
    May 25th, 2008 at 04:33am