Staying Virus-Free And Healthy Over Christmas Break

Staying Virus-Free And Healthy Over Christmas Break As we go further into the winter season, people begin to worry about cold weather, snow, and their health. The seasonal flu is a common threat that comes every winter season; many Americans rush out to get vaccinations for this deadly virus. However, this winter, people will also be very concerned about one other virus in particular - the swine flu. Since the outbreak of the swine flu was first detected in March 2009, the virus has been an international concern. Over the past ten months, there have been well over 400,000 confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus worldwide and at least 10,582 deaths as a result of the disease. The virus is currently at a pandemic state. The big question is this: should the swine flu be a concern for teenagers or is it really no big deal?

I talked to a spokesman from the Ohio Department of Health on the issue. Kristopher Weiss of the ODH believes that although the media may overly publicize the disease, it is still a good idea for young adults to stay healthier this winter and have some basic knowledge about the H1N1 virus. "Children and young adults are without a doubt among a higher risk group for getting the swine flu," said Weiss, "particularly because they live and learn in a closer proximity to one another than does any other age group. It's much easier for kids to spread germs and diseases than adults."

Although most of the teens I spoke with did not express much concern for the new pandemic, many of them did not know the major differences between swine flu and seasonal flu. "The swine flu is completely new," said Weiss, "it's not at all like the seasonal flu, even though both diseases are treated the same way." Both diseases are considered respiratory illnesses; however, the swine flu has also shown some stomach distresses in certain cases. Additionally, the seasonal flu typically impacts senior citizens whereas the swine flu strikes younger and healthier people.

Diseases are always very hard to predict; nobody is quite sure how much longer this minor pandemic will last. The ODH keeps a close watch on the hospital and flu activity in the state of Ohio. According to hospital statistics, 5.4% of all patients in hospitals around Ohio are there because they are being tested for the swine flu. "This is actually a very high percentage compared to most states," said Weiss, "and it shows that there is widespread flu activity in this area of the country." Ohio is seeing a steady rate of swine flu cases; thus, it can be assumed that the H1N1 virus will still be an issue for the next several months.

Spokesman Weiss gave some advise on how students can stay virus free this winter season. He recommends that all teens should consider getting the H1N1 vaccine. "The vaccine is free to the general public," said Weiss, "because the U.S. federal government purchased a large supply of it for all of the states. So far, it has proved to be very effective. There is no harm, whatsoever, in getting it." It is also advised that teens carry a small bottle of hand-sanitizer to class, wash hands frequently after using the restrooms and before lunch, and cover coughs and sneezes with either a tissue or your arm. Furthermore, the ODH urges students to stay home this winter if they feel even slightly under the weather. "It's your responsibility to stop the spread of disease," said Weiss, "honestly, if you feel sick, just stay home."

Latest articles