I Wanna Hold Your Hand - Comments

  • I have to agree with thatsnotmyname!. Sex lives shouldn't be openly discussed. However, I'd like to say that, people don't get divorce JUST because of sex, there are many many other reasons that people get divorced, but sex is one of them.

    I feel bad for younger kids growing up now becuase their going to be so confused. The media is selling sex every single day, even in the most innocent of forms, but then they have family and teachers and whoever else telling them that you should wait longer. I mean, I knew more about sex than my parents did by the time I was in 5th grade.

    However, I think that people should make choices for themselves. If they want to go jump in bed with someone, good for them, if not, just the same. As much as you see it around you, it is ultimately your own choice to go jump someones bones.
    August 1st, 2009 at 06:19pm
  • Good article,
    Though dates and such need to be changed,
    Ah, well, I still like it xD
    July 20th, 2009 at 01:28pm
  • I agree with the comment below.
    Even in my small Catholic school of 1400 it's everywhere, and I'm the only one of my friends who's not done anything sexual with my boyfriend and we've lasted longer than any of them ever did.

    Everything most people is accessible to the entire world if they really wanted to know. Anyone who has an account on a networking site like Facebook or MySpace can easily track someone, look at statuses, status comments, blogs, picture and profile comments, and messages can very easily find out what they did last night, last week, or crazy stoned days from last summer's "camp."
    It's always been there.
    Sadly, it looks like the overly-sex-driven media going to stay.
    May 31st, 2009 at 02:18am
  • Yes, sex has been a large role in our lives for a very very long time. But the difference is, back then your sex life was private. You didn't have discussions about who you 'did' last night. Today sex is all too open. People discuss it like they discuss the weather. I don't think that is ok in any way, shape, or form.

    Amazing article.
    February 8th, 2009 at 01:36am
  • [i]Sex is sex is sex is sex. People have been writing and singing and talking about it ever since the human race began, and people will write and sing and talk about it as long as the human race survives. Of course sex sells. It's fun. People like it. It's only natural, and it's honestly not a big deal.[/i]

    1. It is a "big deal". It teaches many impressionable teens not to value themselves, and that stays with them. It [i]should[/i] be a big deal, if you're in a relationship with someone then it should mean something when you have sex with them. Even if you're not, it still means something more than primal urges. We're not just animals any more, even if it would be nice to be.

    2. There has not always been sex in music. Classical music stems from Christian Church music, and there isn't much sex in that I assure you.

    You're in danger of over-simplifying, love. Never over-simplify something that can very easily come back to haunt you ^^

    Good article, by the way. Sorry my entire comment was directed at someone else.
    December 6th, 2008 at 12:12am
  • 'When two people were in a relationship they thought about more than jumping into bed with eachother.'
    There seems to be a misconception that relationships in the past were more wholesome, or that people didn't sleep around as much as they do today. People have and always will have one night stands, flings, long and short term relationships, everything, it's just in the nature of people. And as was mentioned before, the time when that Beatles song came out was a time when people were embracing sexual freedom.
    There were songs about sex in those days too, so comparing 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and 'Smack That' doesn't really get your point across very well.
    As for divorce rates, I haven't done any research on the subject but I think that one of the reasons for divorce rates being higher now is because it is more acceptable. In early times, people would stay in bad marriages because they felt that there was a stigma associated with being a "divorcee", or that it meant something was wrong with them if they couldn't make their marriage last. If anything, the higher divorce rates are a good thing because it means people are having the courage to get out of bad or unfulfilling relationships, without having to feel like they are the only ones on the planet going through what they are going through.

    I can understand what you're saying about sex being "everywhere" though. With the advent of the internet, it has become increasingly easier for kids to access "adult" stuff. However I don't think this means that every young person will no longer have respect for the opposite sex.

    If anything I think there is a good side to sex being so openly talked about, and that is that ways to stay healthy and protected are also openly talked about. There's always going to be some young people doing it, and if they can feel that they can openly talk about it with their friends, doctors, whoever, then that is probably a good thing.
    December 5th, 2008 at 10:50am
  • It's called "wow, I can get sexual too" The Beatles weren't a band in 1978. I didn't bother to read the rest of it. Check your facts before you write things
    December 1st, 2008 at 02:39am
  • Good article. Well written, good focus and gets right to the point. Keep it up.
    December 1st, 2008 at 01:41am
  • What you're saying is so true. My stepdad has told me a bunch of times that "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was such a controversial song when it came to the US. A lot of people are sex crazed these days. But I'd like to believe that some people look for love and not lust.
    November 29th, 2008 at 04:20am
  • I don't mean to be picky, but you say that the song was released in 1978. It's just that The Beatles split up in 1970, and John Lennon was assassinated in 1980. 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' was released in 1963 in the UK, and 1964 in America. It was the single that made them famous in the States. But they ARE a British band, so it would be nice if people would recognise they released some songs at home prior to America, before picking up on other people.
    There was a film of the same title made in the late seventies which may be what you're thinking of.

    As for your comment about the different sexual ideals, I agree to some extent with the idea behind your article, but sexual freedom emerged in the mid-sixties with the hippy movement. The Beatles are perfect examples actually of the change-over in mentality, from the almost prudish attitude of the 1950s (with the suits etc. Even the moptops were thought scruffy) to the more hippy tendancies of the late Sixties.

    To the people who claim that the only way to sell anything is sex. Sex and scandal, my dears. Politicians drinking a bit too much whisky every morning makes front page news for the tabloids, not just who they paid for sex.
    November 28th, 2008 at 06:53pm
  • Amazing article.
    I agree completely:)
    November 28th, 2008 at 05:20pm
  • Yeah, I kind of have to agree.
    Good article.
    November 28th, 2008 at 04:34pm
  • Well, I disagree with this article because sex has been apart of everyday life for a long time. I mean, they don't say prostitution is the oldest profession for nothing. However, I do agree that it has really been glorified by the media since the Beatles first came out.
    November 28th, 2008 at 04:08pm
  • I love how you used the Beatle song!
    And who cares when it came out? It's true, look at the difference now.
    In every video clip you see woman throwing themselves at those rappers, singers, ...

    It's all just bollocks, it's not what music is about!
    I completely agree with you.
    November 28th, 2008 at 04:06pm
  • Oh My Goshhh.
    so true >.>
    November 28th, 2008 at 03:39pm
  • Sex is sex is sex is sex. People have been writing and singing and talking about it ever since the human race began, and people will write and sing and talk about it as long as the human race survives. Of course sex sells. It's fun. People like it. It's only natural, and it's honestly not a big deal.
    November 28th, 2008 at 09:42am
  • Okay this is seriously bugging me. The song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles came out in 1964 not 1978
    November 28th, 2008 at 07:22am
  • Sex is a part of human nature. And it's not just women who get sexualised in the media. Men do to.

    Sorry love, but those hollywood cliches are a load of bullshit. People have always wanted sex in relationships, regardless of what year it is.
    November 28th, 2008 at 06:08am
  • V--Regardless, nice article. :)
    November 28th, 2008 at 05:36am
  • The Beatles wrote "I wanna hold your hand" in the sixties. True, relationships did have a bit more of a deeper meaning then, but you also have to take other things into consideration. The sixties was a time period when all kinds of crazy drugs came out. If you think that kids weren't hormonal back then, think again. Just because sex wasn't as mainstream and marketed like it is today doesn't mean that it wasn't a big influence in pop culture. Sex will ALWAYS influence pop culture regardless of the era or acceptability.
    November 28th, 2008 at 05:34am