The Truth Behind The Word Emo - Comments

  • A21CenturyBreakdown

    A21CenturyBreakdown (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    um Secret in My throat, who shoved a ten foot pole up YOUR ass??? ur awfully mean and judgemental.




    stick that in your juice box and suck it!
    August 24th, 2009 at 03:00am
  • carpe diem;

    carpe diem; (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    These Emo articles are starting to bore me now -sigh-

    Oh and Secret in My throat? What's with the attitude? You're being seriously immature.
    August 24th, 2009 at 01:05am
  • MyChemicalEscape

    MyChemicalEscape (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Before I start on my rant here, I'd like to say, the grammar in the beginning of this article almost made me walk away from reading it. It COULD have been edited a bit better. And sorry that I'm completely ignoring the point of the article for a minute, but seriously? I know first-graders with better grammar. Use that little kid technique and read it aloud before you post it. In comments and stuff, use whatever grammar you want, but this was an ARTICLE.

    Now as for the article itself and the contents within, there are some things I agree with and a million I don't. First of all, the idea that anyone should be insulted less than others is CRAP. Either make the statement that you should make fun of NO ONE, including self-mutilators, or make no such statement at all.

    Secondly, I don't see the point in describing the origin of the clothing. Emo is an aquired style, taking things such as skater sweatshirts and shoes from the skaters, darker clothing from several different trend groups–one being the goths, and the love for some color in the hair from the punks. The fact that the style makes it EASY to hide scars is irrelevant, since not everyone who dresses that way has scars to hide. So I find that bit of information completely useless to the topic.

    My third and biggest problem is that you’re just casting more suspicion upon the people who dress emo because it’s awesome and they love the music. You’re causing people who wouldn’t have before to look at them twice and go “Hm… hoodie in the summer? Check. Awesome gloves from Hot Topic? Check. Studded sweatband? Check. Well, they must cut themselves.” And guess what? A lot of us that dress this way, DON”T CUT and DON”T want attention or “help” from people who don’t have a clue who we are.

    So I for one, will take the insults. I’ve started to find them a bit funny, especially the more creative ones. Leave me out of your little love parade.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 08:49pm
  • Bad Company

    Bad Company (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Oh and if you really need to deal with your feelings, don't cut, smoke a joint. It's better for you and you can't die from it.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 08:46pm
  • Bad Company

    Bad Company (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Hey sweetie? If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Thanks.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 08:40pm
  • psychotic secrets;

    psychotic secrets; (1400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    If you open your mouth again i swear i will break it. I will reach right through your computer screen and cyberly take your lower jaw, just like on the Grudge. Then what will you do?!

    Try eating icecream then!

    HA!
    August 23rd, 2009 at 04:14am
  • link;;

    link;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with Flawed Perfection;;.
    Wow.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 04:01am
  • MGMTismyfundrug

    MGMTismyfundrug (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    An opinon is an opinon.
    It can't be right or wrong.
    Some people have diffrent views.
    There are points of both sides.
    So really, there is nothing wrong with the article.
    Its a touchy subject for some, and a waste of time for others.
    i dont see how someone can just bash an opinion
    when its just an opinion.
    I love the fact that there are people speak whats on their minds.
    No matter if its "Politically incorrect".
    An opinion is an opinion.
    Not a fact or law.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 03:54am
  • psychotic secrets;

    psychotic secrets; (1400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Your opinion is YOUR opinion.

    Don't any of your Momma tell you, 'If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all'?

    Because I know my Momma does.

    So shove it up your asses, I wrote this for a few friends.
    Not for some Tards to tell me i'm wrong.

    Because guess what babes, I'M RIGHT YA'LL
    August 22nd, 2009 at 10:38pm
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    First,
    FAIL.

    Second,
    I find it funny that if someone ever wrote an article about the truth of 'preps', they would be stoned. And yet people applaud poorly written articles like this just because it talks about being emo.

    Labeling and stereotyping yourself at all = hardly anyone taking you seriously.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 10:33pm
  • CyFi

    CyFi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Emo doesn't exist.
    Write something original, ja?
    August 22nd, 2009 at 08:19am
  • sunday morning

    sunday morning (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Brutaldoll_Ink:
    TYVM FOR THAT FIRST COMMENT!

    I am so sick of people labeling themself 'emo' when they have absolutly no clue what it even is.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 07:02am
  • Brutaldoll_Ink;

    Brutaldoll_Ink; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    [i]"And no, it says before you make fun of someone who does self harm don't make fun of them for it. Some people handle their feelings differently..."[/i]

    It's good to know that you have the basic facts of the "emo" subculture, but that's where I strongly disagree with you.

    You say that like it's a good and healthy way to handle your feelings, when it's really not. There should be [i]no[/i] reason to cut yourself when you can easily get help and actually resolve your problems -- no matter how hard it seems. To me, cutting is just another cry for attention that the cutter obviously needs. I would know. I used to be a cutter myself during my years of manic depression. At first I thought of it as a way to numb the pain away of the cruel reality, but now -- years later -- I realize I actually did it because I wanted everyone else to know that I was suffering in my own turmoil (that I created). I just didn't want to admit back then. I knew my intentions were pretty selfish, but I tried to dress it up. Self denial leads to self destruction, and cutting is just really selfish.

    And what really struck a nerve is : [i]"...maybe been in more than you."[/i]
    You don't know that. You don't know if the cutter has been through [i]less[/i] shit than the friend that doesn't even contemplate self mutilation. Pain is indefenite and different for everyone. Like you said, some people handle situations differently. I don't make fun of cutters -- seeing that it'll be hypocritical on my part -- I just don't approve of it. And I would do anything to make them stop.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 03:59am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Oh dear.
    Can't we just shut up about 'emo' and cutting already? Mibba has enough of these articles on here. We don't need anymore. We don't need another article saying the same thing the others said.

    Emo has been taken too far and people just need to shut up about it... And as for cutting, let them do what they want and let people think what they want. These topics are old and annoying and people just need to stop talking about it. We need to stop fueling the flame and just let these topics die.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 03:56am
  • psychotic secrets;

    psychotic secrets; (1400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    No, and no. The truth behind Emo, is MUSIC. And its been caught up with a trend of clothes, it even says that. I just stated thats maybe how the clothes got caught up with the stereotype.

    You guys really need to stop this, like honestly. Read it, it says everything.

    And no, it says before you make fun of someone who does self harm don't make fun of them for it. Some people handle their feelings differently and maybe been in more than you.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 12:42am
  • Bad Company

    Bad Company (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Do you mean to tell me that because I don't self harm, I feel less than those who do?
    August 21st, 2009 at 09:24pm
  • veronika

    veronika (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Australia
    So you're saying the truth behind 'emo' is cutting?
    Because that's all I got from this article.
    August 21st, 2009 at 02:46pm
  • Crimson kaulitz way

    Crimson kaulitz way (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Amazing!
    August 21st, 2009 at 11:18am
  • DropDeadKaygan

    DropDeadKaygan (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This article is amazing....
    and should've been posted up ages ago
    August 21st, 2009 at 11:18am
  • psychotic secrets;

    psychotic secrets; (1400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    If you did read it corretly I stated that the person the 'Emo' came out as that way of clothing is because people cut. Not many people just go around wearing a jacket in like 100degrees outside for no reason. I never said people dressed because of that. That is how it orignaly started.

    And that is true. People are now just dressed up like it.

    But to the very point of everything. 'Emo.' is music, it just happenes to taged on by a wave of clothing and how people treat themselves.
    August 21st, 2009 at 10:09am