Westboro Baptist Church Case Taken To Supreme Court - Comments

  • In The End

    In The End (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I have no respect for these people at all. In my opinion, they are a waste of space. I try not to hate nor judge others, and I know I'm being sort of hypocritical by insulting them, but they just sicken me to the point of not giving a fuck about any of that.
    They picket at soldiers funerals, when if it weren't for those same soldiers, they may not have the right to get away with the things they do. And they hate the U.S. so much, but they won't fucking get out. I'd love to see them protest and say thse things anywhere else.
    I would rather loose my freedom of speech than allow these people to get away with this. They have hurt too many people and taken their protesting way too far. I hope the supreme court finds a way to stop them.
    October 10th, 2010 at 02:54am
  • Revenge 5

    Revenge 5 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    These people are comming to my high school at the end of the month. They're following the Laramy Diaries. All of my friends are wearing rainbow colors that day in support of the play being in our town.
    October 10th, 2010 at 02:49am
  • Zen Zebra

    Zen Zebra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I hate the way these people think they're doing God's work by spreading messages of hate and intolerance. How is that religious at all? I'm not a Baptist but I am a Christian and what these people are doing is no better than terrorism. What makes them think they're allowed to judge everyone this way? And burning the Quran is no better than what the terrorists are doing - spreading hate.
    October 10th, 2010 at 02:39am
  • XxMrsVengeancexX

    XxMrsVengeancexX (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Supreme Court has a problem ... go with the Constitution, or go with the fact that a father could not have a proper funeral, that being a religeous ceremony.
    October 9th, 2010 at 02:59am
  • Careless Whisper.

    Careless Whisper. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    @Light.Eyed.Dreamer:

    Uh, okay, not all Baptists are like this. In fact, most aren't. That was a rude, disrespecful thing to say.

    But on to the article:

    These people are disgusting. They are clearly NOT Christian. I mean, no Christian would say such horrible things. God is not happy with this, I can tell you that. He wouldn't want anyone telling others that God "hates" them. It's evil. They make all Christians look bad, which is yet another sad side effect of this.

    They need to climb back into whatever whole they crawled out of. Ugh.
    October 9th, 2010 at 12:27am
  • kelly of yore

    kelly of yore (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Oh yeah and I teared up at the picture. :/
    October 9th, 2010 at 12:15am
  • kelly of yore

    kelly of yore (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I know it's disgusting if anyone does this but a church that supposedly teaches love and acceptance? That just. . . I can't even describe my extreme frustration. I'm Christian and this really insulted me. (The event, not the article. The article was well-written, by the way. Good job.) And other Christians wonder why people think we're hypocrites and such. It's things like this that disgrace our name.
    October 9th, 2010 at 12:12am
  • Hansel Graey

    Hansel Graey (280)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    First amendment must be upheld. Regardless of the horrible things they say, they have the right as long as they are not verbally inciting violence. Everyone has the right to say 'God hates you because of ' Just as much as we have the right to say 'God loves me because of '. It's all one coin, and you can't just try to stop the negative. Like it or not, it's thier right.


    God bless the soldiers who've died to uphold this country. I feel it's truly sad and ironic that their sacrifice is to uphold this amendment that involves them being bashed, but it is the right they died to protect. It would all be in vain if this was changed. The slightest change of the first amendment would simply be one stepping stone to changing it a little further until we do not have that freedom of speech. ):
    October 8th, 2010 at 11:51pm
  • punkrocker4139

    punkrocker4139 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Someone should protest loud and obnoxiously outside they're church and see how much they appreciate that. They are ridiculous and make Christians look stupid.
    October 8th, 2010 at 05:35pm
  • LadyLavellan

    LadyLavellan (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I am disgusted by this church's behavior. These soldiers died to protect our freedom and here these loonies are, acting hateful and unappericitative. I have friends and family and a boyfriend in the military, so seeing this kind of thing happening at soldier's funerals is just heartbreaking. Something really needs to be done about these idiots.
    October 8th, 2010 at 05:33pm
  • Hanna Falk Cross;

    Hanna Falk Cross; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I don't like to say bad things about most people; but for these guys, I'll make an exception.
    They're disgusting.
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:50pm
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Most disgusting religious group and family out there. I've cried watching some of the things they've done.

    Their actions and discrimination should be punishable under the full extent of your United States law and its constitution. Surely what they promote is against everything your country stands for.

    Twisted, sick people. Thanks for this article.
    October 8th, 2010 at 05:16am
  • she had the world.

    she had the world. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Wanna know something sad? As soon as my History teacher mentioned this to me, I just knew these loonies were behind it.
    October 8th, 2010 at 03:18am
  • Lucy Anathema.

    Lucy Anathema. (355)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    These people are pathetic. Those soldiers died in order for this "church" to remain able to speak freely. This includes that right to picket their funerals, unfortunately. (I'm hoping that the Supreme Court rules this unconstitutional soon, though.) And the church doesn't have the decency to have respect for both the soldier and the grieving family by just . . . keeping quiet. 

    It's plain madness . . .

    Nevertheless, you have a very well written article on your hands. I'd say I enjoyed reading it, but reading such disrespect for the military gets my blood pressure up. 
    October 8th, 2010 at 03:08am
  • Kyrstie Killjoy!

    Kyrstie Killjoy! (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    They absolutely disgust me. The Westboro church, not the soldiers or the other people they protest. They blame their religion for their moronic views.
    October 8th, 2010 at 02:27am
  • Saul Hudson

    Saul Hudson (355)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    This people sicken me, recently they also used Ozzy Osbourne's song "Crazy Train" to promote hate and evil -_-
    October 8th, 2010 at 12:52am
  • nononononooo

    nononononooo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Canada
    These people completely disgust me. What with the complete disrespect for other human beings and the blatant disregard for anything that I [i]know[/i] I was taught in church when I was a kid. Though I'm pretty Agnostic now, I seriously doubt that any God that's worth believing in could carry as much hatred as these people claim he does.

    The same way that they have a right to their free speech, people should have a right to [i]themselves[/i]. It doesn't have any effect whatsoever on this "church" if homosexual people are enlisted in the army, or are dating or, as it is in Canada here, getting married. This country isn't collapsing in on itself all around me as I type because I know a lesbian couple.

    Ugh, and don't even get me started on the Qur'an business. Burning another religion's holy book because these idiots believe an entire religion can be terrorists is pure ignorance. There are Muslim extremists, who our mass-media so fondly calls terrorists, just as there are Christian extremists, who are the jerk-offs demonstrating at the funerals of members of their own community.
    October 7th, 2010 at 11:55pm
  • bucky barnes.

    bucky barnes. (705)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    These people disgust me to no end. I can understand why other countries hate us if all the media coverage they get is this group of crazy psychos. Jeez.

    That picture broke my heart, btw. The look on the vet's face...
    October 7th, 2010 at 11:49pm
  • linanamistar

    linanamistar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Good article and very thought out. I'm just confused about the mindset of these Westboro Baptist Church protestors. They are not God. God didn't come down on them and told them to protest at a funeral. A funeral is sacred place. Sacred. Somehow, I get this feeling that they are doing this for show not for God whatsoever. They are protesting at a place that not many people would do. Doesn't it smell fishy somehow?
    October 7th, 2010 at 11:31pm
  • precursors

    precursors (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    These people are just... ugh. I can't even describe how [i]disgusted[/i] I am by them, those who share their opinions or similar views. I understand that they do have freedom of speech, but that does NOT mean they can openly protest a funeral for a dead man or woman's family. I wouldn't wish it on them, but I doubt they would ever understand how much distress that would cause to someone who just lost their brother or sister or wife or husband or child. They aren't thinking of anyone but themselves.

    America is a free country, but that does not give them rights to disrespect another human being - dead or alive - and their families and friends. It's just wrong. These people need to learn some manners and tolerance. I can't believe that children can be more mature about these situations than grown men and women.
    October 7th, 2010 at 11:27pm