Poison Causes Multiple Reptile Deaths

Poison Causes Multiple Reptile Deaths Within the past weeks, epic numbers of reptile deaths have been reported along the Chambal River in India. Nonnative fish species are believed to have entered the river carrying an industrial poison, harming other organisms occupying the ecosystem.

One species in particular, the gharial, has been particularly affected. So far over 110 dead gharials have been found along the shores of the river, and more are expected. Those who are infected with the toxin will inevitably die as well. There are roughly 1,400 gharials left living in the wild throughout Nepal and India, so any instability in their remaining population could have horrific consequences. A large portion of these remaining 1,400 gharials live along the river with the suspected toxin. Extinction is on the minds of many biologists if nothing is done to remove the toxin.

When the dead gharials were found and examined, the cause of death was constant. They all died painfully from gout. The unidentified poison had attacked their kidneys, causing them to shut down and cease to function.

Gharials belong to the same order as crocodiles and alligators, crocodilia. However, they are one of only two species still alive in the gavialidae family, making them important to many herpetologists.

Latest articles