President May Get Internet 'Kill Switch' - Comments

  • Adelady

    Adelady (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I'm torn. There is a bad side to this, and a good side to this. The bad side to him ending the internet is that people use the internet, not only for entertainment, but for school and jobs as well. Also for advertisement. If the internet was gone, it would be harder to find jobs, schools, houses, etc. Also, items such as clothing, furniture, food, games etc. are cheaper on the internet. And instead of wasting gas going to the stores to buy clothing and food, you can save some gas and not ruin the environment by buying things on the internet.
    The good side to this is that kidnappers, cyber-bullying, murderers, etc. would all have a harder time killing people and less crimes would be done, because a lot of crimes are done on the internet. People can hack into your computer and watch you type in your bank account number and that will cause you to be bankrupt. So, there are many good things about losing computer, and many bad things. I think everyone is focusing on the bad thing. We all need to think positive. And anyways, Obama can't control internet in different countries, so Canada, Mexico, Ireland, England etc. are all pretty lucky and unlucky at the same time. See what I mean?
    September 1st, 2010 at 10:50pm
  • jennyxshads

    jennyxshads (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This is just crazy.
    Nice article.
    August 3rd, 2010 at 10:40pm
  • Pen'sbestfriend12

    Pen'sbestfriend12 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    Good article but that is really annoying!!!! Obama should not be able to do that
    July 21st, 2010 at 06:59pm
  • Color Me Impressed

    Color Me Impressed (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    A.U.T.O.M.A.T.I.C, , dude, the thing is, the internet can't be controlled in only one country. It's basically impossible. If this does happen, there will be complications, and they will be very drastic and dangerous.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 06:09am
  • A.U.T.O.M.A.T.I.C

    A.U.T.O.M.A.T.I.C (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    People must not understand that if he does get that button he only has the power to do it in the US. Obama doesn't' have any power over any other country but his own. And I culd understand why he would. Terrorist do know how to use the internet too people. Hving this button could go horribly wrong or could save a few thousand lives but most of you are only looking at the bad side of it. What if we have a certain group of terrorists and they communicate over the internet. They send their plans over the internet. No one knows how smart a terrorist can be or how they operate but it's the 21st Century they don't send paper attached to pigons anymore. Most of the world uses the internet and shutting it down in the US for a few hours till they find the source of who could possibly planing to bomb my neighborhood doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. Besides if this does happen they might issue a warning before hand so people [i]wouldn't[/i] freak out.
    July 1st, 2010 at 08:04pm
  • CanWePretend?

    CanWePretend? (110)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    He's gonna get demoted if he does that because the internet isn't just some little thing. Nearly ever person in the world uses it. And I guess he doesn't know that his staff depends on it terriblely.
    June 27th, 2010 at 01:16am
  • xxMyDestinyxx

    xxMyDestinyxx (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This is way too much for just one person to control! Thousands of peoples use it, and not just for entertainment, but jobs too.
    But to think we could be attacked through it is kinda scary
    June 26th, 2010 at 07:45am
  • IM_UR_WorstNightmare

    IM_UR_WorstNightmare (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    ..... not even saying it >:(
    June 26th, 2010 at 12:27am
  • Color Me Impressed

    Color Me Impressed (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Nobody can control the internet. The internet is throughout the WHOLE world. One website in the US leads to a thousand in China, Japan, Mexico, Canada, wherever. Many people's lives and jobs are on their computers.To say that one can control such a huge and massive thing is foolish. The likely hood of this happening, even successfully, is very slim to none.
    This is a very, very foolish idea.
    June 25th, 2010 at 10:58pm
  • pierrot the clown.

    pierrot the clown. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Mexico
    You mean he'd be in control of the Internet as a whole, or only in the United States? Because if it's the former, let me say, what the fuck? No president, of any country, should be given that control.
    What's with the paranoia, anyway? It's like a regime of fear. I understand a cyber-crisis would screw things up horribly, but even then, it would be an issue of [i]international[/i] concern. [i]All countries[/i] should, if it happened, have a say on what to do.
    June 25th, 2010 at 09:33pm
  • HikiiChii

    HikiiChii (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I cannot live without the internet... If this bill is passed there WILL be crimes... I liked this article, I had no clue this was even happening!!
    June 25th, 2010 at 08:13pm
  • fool's paradise

    fool's paradise (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    [b]@Sasha Sixx[/b] A cyber-crisis could be a hacker or virius going into, say, online bank records and deleting things or messing things up. Just something or someone screwing with the information we keep online.
    June 25th, 2010 at 05:53pm
  • emlyn

    emlyn (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    And there I was thinking it was called the WORLD Wide Web...
    June 25th, 2010 at 04:28pm
  • sashasaurasrex

    sashasaurasrex (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    What is a cyber-crisis?!
    June 25th, 2010 at 03:10pm
  • God Save The Queen

    God Save The Queen (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    [b]Slappy[/b] said it best.
    Besides, how can Obama possibly get this? Or not understand the absolute stupidity of it?
    America doesn't own the internet. It is, as it has always been, the World Wide Web. By no means should the american president, nor the governing body of any country, be able to posses such a thing.
    And if he did get a hold of this almighty 'red button' how could he not foresee the absolute catastrophe that it would cause? Billions of articles of information, destroyed. Trillions of dollars lost. The world would be at a very literal stand still. Businesses would barely be able to function in the [hopefully] short time it was down.
    Not to mention the fucking panic it would send some into. Does ANYONE remember Y2K? We had people hiding in their basements because they thought the end was nigh. If we lost the internet, it would no doubt be a 'sign'. Thousands would be pissing themselves, scared witless.

    If Obama receives such a power, I will revoke my own citizenship and have myself de-fucking-ported.
    June 25th, 2010 at 09:16am
  • Colors of Slumber

    Colors of Slumber (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm so glad I live in Canada. Only the citizen's in America would freak out over something like this. To get back to the real world, a shut-down might be necessary.
    June 25th, 2010 at 08:28am
  • dayXdreamXbeliever

    dayXdreamXbeliever (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    By "shutting down" are we talking, no connection for a few hours? Or you are no longer allowed to surf the web until the goverment is satisfied? And how is that going to help/prevent another terrorist attack? Because, lets face it people, we've got a crippleing oil leak, a shitty economy and a number of other things going on in our country. Don't you think any attack would have, you know, already happened?
    June 25th, 2010 at 05:38am
  • Slappy

    Slappy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    bitch better keep away from my internetz >:[
    June 25th, 2010 at 05:10am
  • Squirky

    Squirky (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    There was also uproar about Bush's whole 'allowing the government to listen in on our calls' thing, as well. I didn't care too much for the idea of possibly loosing a bit of privacy, but I understood his reasoning and had no problem with it. After all, what would I have to hide? Nothing. So why complain? I didn't because the government did bust a few terrorist plots, keeping us safe to live another care-free day.

    So I do understand Obama's motive on this bill. However, unlike Bush's, this one could, and most likely would have a negative effect on our already crappy economy. That and he already took away our choice of not having to have health care. Therefore, I'm not too sure on this whole 'giving Obama even more power by allowing him to have an on/off switch for the internet' thing; I’m iffy about it.
    June 25th, 2010 at 05:01am
  • NotesFromTheNorth

    NotesFromTheNorth (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Oh i heard about this. If it does happen it needs limits. Wouldn't by killing the internet though, the moment its back online it would give a brief moment of weakness where attacks could easily break through. O.o I just heard... from a childish tv show... it might not be true but it seems logical that the internet might not have time to quite set up all its firewalls when turning on again.
    It would have to be set up PERFECTLY to work.
    Also it might do more harm than good. The whole country would be just as much in a standstill without the internet as it would with a cyber attack.
    In all reality it might cause more panic.
    June 25th, 2010 at 04:46am