Story Rec'ing Thread

• lovecraft

lovecraft (100)

:
    Story Rec'ing Thread

This thread is for recommending stories of other writers only. If you'd like to pimp one of your own stories, use the Story Pimping Thread.

The format for recommending a story is pretty simple:
    • Title:
      Author:
      Story Type:
      Rating:
      Genre:
      Reason for rec'ing:
      Summary:
      Excerpt:
    Don't forget to link to the story you're recommending. :)
    Bastard Son.:
    A few rules to keep it organized:
    • Do not use humongous font sizes for your titles; 200 is more than enough.
    • Do not post the banners of your stories (or any other images).
    • Do not quote the story every time it has been update.
    • Please use proper spelling, grammar and capitalization.
    • If someone recommends your story and you'd like to thank them, please do so in a PM or profile comment - not on this thread.
    Happy Rec'ing!
    January 28th, 2011 at 01:10am
  • little motorkitty;

little motorkitty; (630)

:
    Title: The Boy with the Protest Sign
    Author: Dru.
    Genre(&Tags): Drama, religion
    Type: Fanfiction, AU
    Rating: PG-13

Reason for reccing: One of the most beautiful stories on the site, really, it's breath-taking. Every word rings with truth and perfection, without being too much. Written from somebody with experience of both religion and "different" sexuality, it's lovely to read as it explores both of them together rather than apart.

Summary:
    "Ryan stared transfixed as a boy he vaguely recognized from his music appreciation class crossed the street and unfolded a sign which read 'Jesus Loves Me This I Know' in rainbow colored letters. Directly across from him, a group of people held signs and wore tee shirts with the words 'God Hates Fags' emblazoned across them."

Excerpt:
    And then, unbelievably, he began to quote Scripture. Ryan wasn't aware he was moving until he pushed the front door open. A handful of people followed him out the sidewalk. They were interested. Ryan, a lifelong Atheist, was hypnotized.

The voice through the megaphone was over-loud, but incredibly warm, surprisingly. "'For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.'" The boy paused. "'For God so loved the world,'" he repeated, emphasis on the last two words. He stared directly at the group of protesters and this time his voice was harsh. "Fags included."

"Fags included!" a girl next to Ryan echoed, her fist in the air.
    January 28th, 2011 at 03:46pm
  • fairyfeller

fairyfeller (1655)

:
    Tilte: Of Rhinos & Griffins
    Author: darvill
    Genres: comedy, adventure, teen
    Type: original
    Rating: R

Reason for reccing: Definitely one of my favourite stories on here. The character development is amazing, the comedy is woven in wonderfully, and it darvill does a fantastic job of portraying teenage life. Plus, the characters are adorably nerdy.

Summary:
    Nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff. Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-your-chair-can't-control-yourself love it. When people call people nerds, mostly what they're saying is, "You like stuff." Which is not a good insult at all. Like, "You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness."
    -John Green

(This story has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with rhinos or griffins. It does, however, have a lot to do with Morse code, butterflies and a very tricky treasure hunt.)

Excerpt:
    When the bell finally rings, signalling the end of registration, Merryn jumps to her feet and grabs Benedict’s bag, grunting as she hauls it off the table. “Dear sweet lord, Benedict. What have you got in here?” she demands as she hands it over to him, rolling her now-aching shoulder once she has been relieved of the weight. “It feels like a sack of bricks.”

“Pencils, pens, rubbers, rubber bands, paper clips, a scientific calculator, a non-scientific calculator, a graphical calculator, sharpies in all the colours of the rainbow, a pencil sharpener, tape, string, scrap paper, tissues, hand gel, plasters, scissors, post-its, highlighters, a hole punch, a thirty centimetre ruler, a fifteen centimetre ruler, a stapler, super-glue, board pins, a magnifying glass, a hairbrush, deodorant, a torch, nail clippers, Vaseline, painkillers, spare gloves, a pack of cards, a spork, spare earphones, an earphone splitter, a scarf, a top hat, a fob watch, a bow tie, a sonic screwdriver, a lock, a pair of gloves, sweets, lollipops and some ribbon,” Benedict recites, counting the last item off on his finger. “Oh, and my lunch box.”

Merryn sighs, giving him this weary, long-suffering look. “Benedict, we talked about this,” she says, in a gentle, I'm-trying-not-to-let-you-know-how-insane-I-think-you-are tone. “You don’t actually need all those things on you all the time. Remember?”

He shrugs innocently. “Hey, I come prepared - batteries not included.”
    January 28th, 2011 at 05:41pm
  • The Color Abi

The Color Abi (300)

:
    Tilte: Muse
    Author: Ornamentaldeer
    Genres: Romance Drama Teen
    Type: Fan Ficion [Panic! At The Disc]
    Rating: NC- 17

Reason for reccing: I’ve been following this story since around chapter ten and forty-four chapters later, I’m still has hooked and emotionally attached as I was back when I first started reading it. This is one of the best chaptered stories I’ve read on this website, honest to God.

Summary:
    Brendon's secret weapon was a mysterious girl who haunted his dreams with lyrical musings and whimsical thoughts. For years he was sure she was just a figment of his imagination created to aid him in his work but when he met Sarah he was certain he'd found the real deal.

A year later things become turbulent between the pair. A year later and she's messing around with other guys and "borrowing" his credit cards. A year later he meets Quinn.

Excerpt: Twenty Two

"I don't want you coming back to bed." She told me. "I don't think its safe."

"I won't." I muttered. "I think I'll just… do some work."

The pile of tousled black hair flopped across her face when she nodded approvingly and screeched her chair across the ground.

"You do that. Maybe you can fix my song, the one that car wreck ruined." Her eyes narrowed as she pictured the girl she'd never met. Already she thought she was superior.

I waited until she was out of the room and the click of the bedroom door sounded behind her before I opened up my laptop and typed Suicide Sarah 2008 Australia into the search engine. Nothing. I changed the words around. Nothing. I tried 2008 Australian Suicide but I didn't have the patience to filter through every article and statistic to find what I needed so I started a new venture.

I didn't know Quinn's last name, I'd never bothered to ask. It didn't seem important, nothing did when she was around. I searched the next best thing. Quinn New York times best seller.

It took only seconds to find the titles of Quinn Anderson's novels. The two that had been reviewed had been given high praise for her "brilliant mind" and "limitless imagination". One man described her as the finest example of sadistic romance and disturbing fantasy. This was too easy to believe.
    January 28th, 2011 at 06:17pm
  • The Walrus

The Walrus (200)

:
    Title: Live Forever
    Author: starkravinglefty.
    Story Type: Original
    Genre: Romance

Reason for reccing: It's a great story and it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Summary:
    It's Manchester in August 1995: the "Battle of Britpop" is raging in the charts between Oasis and Blur. Boy meets girl in a record store; he likes Oasis, she likes Blur. And then they get it on. This follows their romance...

Excerpt:
    The next thing I know, he’s propping me up in his whippet’s arms and asking me questions. Am I ok? You answer that yourself, moron. Are you hurt? Not on the outside. Did you know them? I nearly take offense, but I stammer out that no, I certainly don’t. He smiles. My vision is blurred from salty, sappy tears; but his eyes are like slightly melted Malteasers and they’re just as tempting. I could drown in chocolate and I could drown in his gaze. Nothing else about him is particularly original; he’s predictably dark-haired and average-looking.

“Were you going to go in here?” he queries, even though it’s none of his business. I realise I’m being needlessly vicious in my head. Supposing that no harm could come of it, I nod.

This is when it all changes for me. A silly music store and a boy with beautiful eyes.
    January 31st, 2011 at 01:48am
  • silk tea.

silk tea. (400)

:
    Title: Sold
    Author: turducken.
    Story Type: Original
    Genre: Thriller, Tragedy

Reason for reccing: This story is very, very REAL. That's why I like so much about it. Nothing is sugar-coated or made easy on the eyes. It's all brutal and out there and disgusting and it's the god honest truth. And that's what I love about it.

Summary:
    In such a world, one owns nothing. Not their shoes, not their clothes, not even their own body.

Because all it takes is a simple one, two, three, sold!

And it's gone.

Excerpt:
    Once she has regained balance and can stand on her own, he releases his hold on her. Her entire being is on fire, a searing soreness coursing throughout. Bile is threatening, rising from her stomach and creeping up her throat. She swallows.

He pushes her forward roughly and she obliges, stumbling as she goes. Adjacent to the path she had been sprinting down previously, there is another leading to yet another mysterious ending. One of which, she would’ve rather never discovered.

Keeping her tears at bay, they both continue down the hall. The only sound is of her constant sniffles which she can’t control and of their rhythmic footsteps. He stays behind her, every so often nudging her if her pace slowed.

Finally they come to another door and she stops, brown eyes daring to glance behind her shoulder. He replies with a simple glare, stuffing a hand into one of his pocket and producing a set of keys.

Forcefully he pushes her out of the way, her shoulder bumps into the wall and she winces. It only takes a moment for him to jab the key inside the lock, turning and tearing open the door. Once he’s successful, the keys are dropped back into his pocket.

“Sasha, your clothes are ready. Dress.”
    January 31st, 2011 at 01:54am
  • fun ghoul fez.

fun ghoul fez. (100)

:
    Title: Envision the Magic
    Author: FunGhoul
    Story Type: Fan fiction (Frerard)
    Genre: Romance, drama

Reason for reccing: This is seriously one of the best Frerard's that I have ever come across. The plot is completely unique and the character development, especially for Frank, is amazing. The author actually takes the time to develop his personality instead of just throwing them into a sex scene. It's a perfect mix of humor and tension to boot.

Summary:
    Gerard is a talented magician, responsible for much of the success of the famous Envision Destiny cruise ship. He's also one of those people. You know, one of those people who just seem to take up all the space they come across with their arrogance and confidence. You wouldn't wanna touch their personality with a 10-foot pole, but still people admire them.

That is beyond Frank. Working behind the cruise ship bars and seeing Gerard pretty much every day, he can't understand what's so great about him. Besides, everybody else doesn't have to deal with his snide remarks and rude comments. Because if there's one thing Gerard seems to love, it's the act of constantly pestering Frank.

Excerpt:
    Minutes before, when they’d been standing outside just waiting for him to invite them in, he’d thrown Lisa a panicky glance that was practically screaming “Is this kid mine?” When she had sort of shrugged him a vague “Maybe?” it was as though his brain went completely haywire. In the end he’d somehow managed to finally pull himself together and invited them in.

His lips and voice had been struggling through the standard set of sentences where he apologized for the mess, then the fact that he only had leftover pizza to offer them, and then the mess again. He automatically grabbed old newspapers and magazines off the table and pointlessly tucked them away somewhere else. He watched his own hands arrange the pillows on the couch, but he felt so disconnected. His head found itself in a different world ruled by frantic conditions; his thoughts were impossible to grasp and lock down.
    January 31st, 2011 at 04:16am
  • Roseh; believe

Roseh; believe (330)

:
    Title: Texan Shame
    Author: hidden mist.
    Story Type: Original Fiction; One-shot
    Genre: Drama

Reason for reccing: It's a fantastically crafted story; well written, with interesting characters and a great plot, told with wonderful description,

Summary:
    "Pranking around ain't so good some times. No good at all."

Excerpt:
    "What are you on about, Ray? Johnson is probably taking a quick break behind the hayfield." TJ gave the older man a brilliant smile. "No use going up there just to rouse him up. Be a real shame to wake him up, while he dreams with sweet Lila." He made the silhouette of a curvy woman with his calloused hands. The bearded man responded with a loud guffaw, his thick fingers curling around his round belly.

"Just a quick visit, TJ. Ain't no wrong with a man wanting to fool around, now is there?" Ray's smile was crooked and small, thin chapped lips covering cavity ridden teeth. "Besides, that'd teach old Johnson to stop pulling stunts like those," he shook his head. "Napping while working, Jesus. Now that's a man with no shame."

TJ's grin widened. "Give him a good scare, huh? Guess ain't nothing wrong with that. Just some fooling around." He stood up and brushed his leather pants whilst suppressing a playful smirk. Ray gave the young man a hard state. If dumb was dirt, he'd cover an acre, no doubt. "What do you have in mind, Ray?" TJ's jovial eyes gleamed with expectation. He liked working on the field, damn right he did. But it was so dull now and then. A lil' prank would be good, he thought. A good prank for old shameless Johnson.

"Go grab that ax right there. We're scaring Johnson real good, we are."
    January 31st, 2011 at 09:38pm
  • cruciatus.

cruciatus. (455)

:
    Title: Always There
    Author: foREVer-free-6661
    Story Type: Fanfiction – Avenged Sevenfold – Slash - Synacky
    Genre: Romance // Tragedy

Reason For Reccing: This story had me in tears. The emotion is stark, and it’s in your face in an amazing way. This author makes you feel as if you’re watching a heartwrenching scene in a movie. On top of the emotion captured in this piece, I didn’t find one grammatical error throughout the entire thing. And if there were any, I was too caught up in the simple beauty of the story to notice. I recommend this story not only to people who love Avenged Sevenfold, but I also recommend it to people who like to read slash as well. This author wrote it in a way that it’s not just an Avenged Sevenfold fic, it can also be read as an original. It’s beautiful, and it’s definitely worth checking out.

Summary: Zacky and his boyfriend Brian are as in love as two people can be. But what happens when Zacky comes to a stark realization that Brian isn’t always going to be there for him?

Excerpt: Zacky's legs crumpled underneath him. He couldn't cry, couldn't breath, couldn't speak. Brian couldn't have died, he had promised that he would be returning and that they would never part again. Was his heart still beating? Wouldn't he have felt if the beat had died a few days ago, or was he already dead? Did that mean that everything was a lie, that Brian didn't actually love him, was that why he could still the pounding of his pulse through his veins? At long last, he took in a shaky breath and let it all out in a wretched sob that shook his entire body.
    February 2nd, 2011 at 11:10am
  • folie a dru.

folie a dru. (1270)

:
    Title: Ageless, Ageless.
    Author: The Way (Isa).
    Story Type: Original fiction.
    Rating: PG-13.
    Genre: Drama, I guess.
    Link.

Summary:
    All I see are faceless days and an ageless face.

Excerpt:
    do you think
    we could ever be friends?

you ask, with your head on his chest and your fingers entwined with his, as if everything is all right. you met up again to split everything you owned and say goodbye, but before you know it he's opening you up as easily as he had before and you're whispering all of your secrets into his ear. it may be meaningless, but it was frantic and hard and both of you felt it all the way to your bones, just the way you liked it. it's wonderful, how you still moved in sync, as if he wrote the very instructions to make you climax on your skin, and he's just reading it again, simple abc's. and it's ugly too, because you don't even share this bed anymore, but you're still waiting for his reply, counting his heartbeats like seconds on a malfunctioning clock.

Reason for reccing:
    I think it's beautiful. I love the experiment style with lack of caps because it seems just like thoughts tumbling out. Like everything Isa writes, it's pure beauty.
    February 3rd, 2011 at 05:49pm
  • fun ghoul fez.

fun ghoul fez. (100)

:
    Title: Keeping You a Secret
    Author: get a room. & Acid Milk.
    Story type: Chaptered, Dr. Spencer Reid / Derek Morgan.
    Genre: Romance / crime.

Reason for reccing: I was seriously blown away by this story. Both characters have 3D personalities and their relationship actually seemed real. The chemistry was also fantastic and I hope that it is updated soon.

Summary: Dr. Spencer Reid and Agent Derek Morgan have to keep their relationship a secret.

Not only is dating between members of the BAU against regulations, but Derek doesn’t want to be open about the relationship. He has his reasons, but Spencer is tired of putting up with Derek’s excuses. He’s tired of sneaking around; he wants to act like a “real” couple.

Spencer wants a change- even if it’s one Derek doesn’t like.

Excerpt:
    I stared down at the case file, thumbing the corner. I had been reading it over and over for the last hour and nothing had come to me. The office was practically empty as I stared out the window, looking at the California sunset.

I sighed, leaning against the back of my chair. I ran my hands across my face, and closed the case file. I couldn’t find anything new with this unsub. Somewhere in this office a phone went off, blaring out the mechanical ring. It went unanswered.

The door knob turned shakily, and I turned around to see who it was. The door opened slightly, and Reid’s head popped in. I smirked slightly, turning back around again. He gave me one of those toothy grins. The door opened the rest of the way, and he stepped inside, shutting the door swiftly behind him.

“Hello there,” I turned around smiling again as he wrapped his thin arms around my shoulders and rested his head against them.

“Hello there,” he mocked me sleepily, a goofy grin resuming its place on his lips. He released his grip on my shoulder, and leaned in to kiss me softly on the lips.

I pulled away, slightly shocked. “Spencer you know not to do that at the office.” I sighed again, running my hand down his arm
    February 3rd, 2011 at 06:02pm
  • Cascade

Cascade (100)

:
    Title: Stars and Boulevards
    Author: porcelain dreams. and i saw sparks
    Story Type: Fan Fiction
    Genre: Romance, Comedy, Drama
    Reason for reccing: Contest prize

Summary: Alyssa Bernadette "Lizzie" Fellow was an average girl with an average body and average family. Her average friends were the best for her. Native from Nevada, living near Los Angeles, she traveled to L.A. every single vacation, she loved it. But then the reality hit her and she remembered she was from a small town. Well, literally small. But then, destiny leaves her a stupid and weird situation: Somebody asked her to act in a casting for a new TV show. That was probably a joke...

With every moment of her life filmed for millions to see, Kandi Sparks's life was anything but ordinary. Her so-called reality was bogged down with a fake job, fake friends, and a fake boyfriend. When the opportunity arose for her to guest star on a popular television show, Kandi saw it as a chance to finally break out of her reality television bubble, a chance for people to see her for who she really was, but life isn't exactly as scripted as her show, and things never end up going as planned.

Excerpt (beginning of chap. 1): “Mom, I don’t think it’s just the best idea to go this time to L.A. I mean, I love it, but I had a compromise tonight, and I didn’t want to miss it. I was the party’s soul, you know,” I told my mom who was placed in the front sit. My dad was driving, and we were on our way to Los Angeles for the summer.

“It is. We like to go there as much as you do. Aunt Ginger can introduce you to some cute guys in the neighborhood, and if you get lucky, you can find a boyfriend there,” she said with a happy face. I just got angry.

“If I get lucky?! I’m sure I can find a boyfriend in a week or half a week,” I bet.

“Really? We’ll see it. I don’t think that you can be so heartless to do so,” my mom responded.

“You don’t know me, Mom,” I assured.

“No, Lizzie. I guess I don’t know you. But please, you can’t do that to an innocent guy. You’re horribly bad,”

“Whatever.” My mom frowned.

I slept the rest of the travel. I couldn’t resist anymore, I had to sleep. When we entered Los Angeles, my mom told me to wake up. We were already in Aunt Ginger’s house. I always loved to go there ‘cause it was a mansion, it was like a VIP’s zone. It was a beautiful place, and just because my mom was Aunt Ginger's sister, we had all the facilities of the place and we always came here while our staying in L.A. There were so many celebrities living in that place, and I wished for once I could meet one. The problem was that every time I came, they all seemed to hide from me. This time, I expected to see even one celebrity, it would be really interesting to get to know one.
    February 3rd, 2011 at 09:01pm
  • folie a dru.

folie a dru. (1270)

:
    Title: Midnight Haze.
    Author: the watchtower.
    Story Type: Fanfiction.
    Fandom: Panic! at the Disco.
    Genre: Drama, I guess.
    Link.

Summary:
    When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.

Excerpt:
    Ryan sat cross-legged on the couch, a neatly rolled joint rolling between his fingers. Brendon sat opposite him, his guitar laying, face-up across his lap. He hadn’t played it for at least a half-hour, instead, he watched Ryan bring his joint up to his mouth, inhale, exhale and repeat. He didn’t notice Brendon studying him, he was lost in a thought that Aristotle had probably had but hadn’t ever quite written it down. Brendon always wondered what it looked like in Ryan’s mind. He was articulate and that made Brendon think that it must be like some great filing cabinet, but deep down, he knew that Ryan’s mind was in bigger chaos that his own.

“You know what freaks me the fuck out?” Ryan asked suddenly. Brendon lowered his eyes as Ryan’s voice floated towards him and studied the mahogany wood of his guitar. The golden strings contrasting against it reminded Brendon of Ryan’s eyes; the darkness lined with shining flecks.

Reason for reccing:
    I requested stories about Ryan and Brendon that were focused more on characters than plot with bonus points for marijuana usage and this was exactly what I wanted. It's about characters, how they relate. The attraction is understated and not as important as the characters. The marijuana use is blatant, but not the focus once you actually begin to read. It was sheer perfection.
    February 5th, 2011 at 02:57am
  • occulta.

occulta. (100)

:
    Title: Andromeda's Poison
    Author: moxie;
    Story Type: Original fiction
    Genre: Romance, Sci-fi, War.
    Reason for reccing: Because when I read this, I felt like I was in another era. It's so vivid and realistic, the plot so intricate and perfectly executed. I have read very few stories that have this level of originality and creativity. It's simply incredible. More people need to know about this story and read it. <3

Summary:
    In a world where super humans are sold like property,
    where what truly is wrong is right,
    where everything revolves around empty greed,
    what is there to do?

Excerpt:
    That wasn't the 'disgusting' part. What disgusted him were the price stickers at the bottom of the tanks. What disgusted him were the metal chains attached to their floating arms, legs, and neck. 
    What disgusted him were the fact that as soon as they were captured, ripped away from their lives, their clothes torn away, their bodies spread out for the world to see, and their powers swallowed whole by drugs, they became nothing more than objects ready to be sold to the highest bidder.
    February 6th, 2011 at 02:03am
  • folie a dru.

folie a dru. (1270)

:
    Mollzay.:
    Title: The Butterfly Effect
    Story Type: original fiction
    Genre: Romance, Religious, Drama, Teen
    Summary:

The butterfly effect is a concept that suggests that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wings in one place could produce a colossal earthquake in another. It means that everything affects everything.

It is often said that God has a plan. Luke has never really bought into that. But now, with a few fluttering wings, he just might.

Excerpt:

Luke scratched absentmindedly at the dry skin on his forearm while he waited for some indication of emotion on the coffee shop owner’s otherwise stoic face. Sorting through prints didn’t usually take this long, but every moron with enough money for a DSLR was a world class photographer these days, so his work was getting harder and harder to sell.

“So. What’s the deal?” Luke sighed through his question. The silence and apathy from his potential customer could only be endured for so long.

“I’ll take…uh, this one,” he said, holding up a photo of several sets of hands held together in prayer, “but that’s all for right now. Sorry, Luke, but our walls can’t be a one man show.” The man placed what Luke imagined was meant to be a comforting hand on his shoulder before gathering up the rejected photographs and handing them back.

Luke smiled a resigned half smile, tossing his artwork carelessly into his messenger bag and lifting it onto his shoulder. “Always a pleasure.” He began to walk out but the owner gestured for him to stop. “…Yes?”

The man seemed uncomfortable with Luke’s eager movements to leave, and so the next thing he said felt like it was coming out a bit…well, forced. “I just. Uh. What’s it called? The photo.”

Luke smirked briefly at his own private joke, despite the fact that no one else would find it funny even if he explained it. “We’re All Too Small.”
    Reason for reccing:
    She asked me to read this over for her and offer any suggestions or con/crit. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. Nothing is dumbed down for the reader, but nothing is so complex you can't understand, especially the photography scenes. It's not preachy and I think anyone could relate to this regardless of faith.
    February 7th, 2011 at 04:09am
  • skeletal.

skeletal. (100)

:
    Title: Crimson Snow
    Story Type: Original Fiction
    Rating: PG
    Genre: Horror, Fantsy, Thriller
    Summary:

Meet Kane, your average Russian. Not.

His parents were brutally murdered by the Tsarist police.

The Bolsheviks? Gone. Destroyed before they could cause revolution.

The result? the world is an autocratic hell-hole.

Out for vengance, Kane sets out to free Russia. With help from the most unlikely of places, Kane strives to show the world, one person, can make a change greater than history has ever seen. But who said it came without sacrifice...

Excerpt

‘If only…’ thought Kane, ‘the Bolsheviks fought harder. None of this nightmare would be here. But no more. I will change this world, Russia will be free once more.’ Kane’s mind drifted to unwanted places, remembering that what he wished would be forgotten. The face of his mother flashed before him, head lolling, one side completely charred black. Her neck slit, gushes of crimson blood flowing out of it as she breathed her last. ‘They’ll pay… bastards.’ And with that, Kane thrust on his fingerless gloves and drew upon his reserves of magic and created a bubble to surround himself, keeping the freezing temperatures out, even if for just a few minutes.

Venturing out of his port-a-cabin domain Kane entered the untamed destruction of natures crystal shards of tranquil beauty. Up ahead presences disturbed the peace, drowning Kane in adrenaline as a cry erupted from a near by tenement building. Picking up the pace, Kane jogged the last hundred metres towards the dull grey, double story house, just as the windows blew out, coating the already hazardous blizzard into a death trap. Within seconds two of the Ohkrana Veneficus Venator stumbled as they left the safety of the tenement into slashing wind. As Kane looked in disbelief the glass shredded through the tactical armour, rendering the men defenceless, slipping into the never ending void, any cries lost in the eternal mourning wails of the storm.
    February 7th, 2011 at 06:14pm
  • fooleish

fooleish (205)

:
    Title: Since the Roof Fell in
    Author: hector_raushbaum on livejournal
    Story Type: fanfiction
    Fandom: Disney RPF/Bandom
    Genre: apocafic?

Reason for reccing: While I love them, I've found that most post-apocalyptic stories tend to go a bit over the top when it comes to the emotion and the sadness and the horror, but this one doesn't. The angst is there but it isn't unrealistic or unbearable and it just works, because they're real people with real problems figuring out how to survive the end of the world and it shouldn't be sweet or adorable but it is and it's so, so beautiful it hurts.

Summary: Everyone you ask has a different idea where it started - the fires, the floods, the hurricanes, volcanoes, tornados, tsunamis, the rioters. And maybe it doesn't matter how it started, just that it did, that now the dead outnumber the living and Kevin's stuck waiting for a God that doesn't seem to be coming. Stuck waiting, that is, until Nicole finds him - her need to get away is strong enough to get Kevin off his couch and towards the last place Joe was known to be: Chicago. When they run into Brendon Urie, running away as hard as Nicole is, and Spencer Smith, with just as much to gain by getting to Chicago as Kevin has, it might be the first lucky thing that's happened. Because when they get to Chicago and Joe's not there, it's going to take a lot more than one person running away to keep Kevin going.

Excerpt: There's someone (something, his brain supplies, maybe a wild animal, maybe this is a movie and there are zombies out there) banging on Kevin's door, has been for almost an hour (he thinks, time hasn't moved right for him in...days? Years?) but he can't bring himself to get off the couch. If it's someone looking for shelter, there are a hundred better places, empty places; if it's someone looking to rob him blind, he'd be stupid to let them in anyway. Even lying on his couch, watching the news broadcasts fade in and out of the static, is better than dying - it's not like he has any idea what comes after anymore, so even as depressed as he is he's not suicidal enough to let a murderer in.

"Kevin, dammit!"

Kevin hasn't eaten in he doesn't know how long, hasn't gotten off the couch until he stepped outside and realized God had abandoned him, and it takes a second for the voice to break through the fog in his head, for him to realize who it is.

He's thinking seriously about getting up off the couch for the first time since lying down when he hears the front door bang open, sharp footsteps in the hall, and there's the first living person he's seen in God only knows how long, Nicole with her hair wild, dirt and blood smeared on her clothes, her skin.

"What," he starts, but doesn't bother with the happened to you?, because of course it’s the same thing that happened to him, to everyone: the end of the world. Or whatever.

"You don't just not answer your door, you giant dick, oh my God, I thought you were - " She stops there, either because she can't say the word or she's finally registered just how bad Kevin must look. "You look like shit," she says, and nothing's funny, but Kevin laughs anyway; when she joins in, it's the best sound in the whole world, familiar laughter when he didn't even expect to see a familiar face ever again.

When the part of Kevin's brain telling him nothing's worth laughing about right now catches up to him, Nicole's on the floor, still giggling a little, tears streaking fresh tracks through the grime on her face, and he thinks again about asking her what she's been through. Except this is probably one of those times asking is pointless, one of those times the answer is gonna be something too big to say.
    February 10th, 2011 at 01:00am
  • folie a dru.

folie a dru. (1270)

:
    Reccing x 100
    on LiveJournal
    This is actually a trilogy. I'll link them all individually.

Title: The Negotiation Limerick File.
    Author: passe_simple
    Type: Three parts, complete.
    Fandom: My Chem/Panic! at the Disco.
    Word Count: ~27,500.
    Pairings: Frank/Gerard and Ryan/Brendon, but these totally aren't romances.
    Summary: Panic and My Chem are both still in their bands. Brendon is at a venue and somehow manages to walk into a room where Gerard and Frank are standing with guns and they tell him they're spies otherwise they'd have to kill him and Brendon enlists like an excited toddler.

Excerpt:
    “Brendon,” said Gerard, in his serious, women-are-underrepresented-in-the-media voice. “My Chemical Romance isn’t just a band. We’re saving the world.”

“Right,” Brendon nodded quickly. “You’re all ‘don’t do drugs,’ and ‘respect the gay people.’ That’s awesome.”

“No,” said Gerard, “I mean we’re saving the world. We’re a band, but it’s also a convenient way to travel. People expect us to go all over the place so no one’s surprised when we fly to New Zealand or Japan or D.C. all of a sudden. We work for the government.”

“Cool! That is so – Wait.” Brendon blinked a couple of times. “Isn’t… Doesn’t the current administration kind of go against everything you normally say you stand for? So that’s really, really cool, but a little hypocritical. Uh, are they going to shoot me?” He waved uncertainly at the gun-toting suits. They were easily twice the size of a normal human each, even if Brendon did spend most of his time with the skinniest guys in the entire universe.

My take;
    I don't know if I could actually call this crack-fic because the way it's written it actually seems totally plausible. It's funny and so incredibly well-written. Very smart. Also, My Chem totally takes the piss out of Panic the whole thing.
    Title: The Grasshopper Unit.
    Author: Same.
    Word Count: ~10,000.
    Type: Two chapters, completed.
    Pairings: Same with implied Joncer.

Summary:
    Mikey makes a device out of a toaster that breaks and turns Panic into small children, ages 4-6, which is really inconvenient seeing as how both bands are supposed to somehow stop world hunger the next day.

Excerpt:
    There was a giggle in the closet. A really loud, happy, ridiculous giggle.

“Brendon,” said Bob immediately, and slid the door open.

There were three more kids in the closet. Bob ignored Spencer’s outraged noise to make sure Mikey’s machine hadn’t accidentally given anyone two noses or three arms. They looked just about like he’d expected; Brendon was sitting cross-legged and covering his mouth with both hands, all big eyes and smothered giggles. Ryan was as far back into the corner as he could get, knees drawn up and biting his lip, staring at Bob with huge, scared eyes. Jon was sitting next to him, holding his hand, looking pretty mellow about the whole thing.

“Tag, you’re it!” Brendon burst out, smacking Bob on the knee, and scrambled to his feet. He was out the door and past the grownups standing there before anyone else could react.

“Brendon! You have to stay with us!” Spencer yelled, and took off after him.

Frank laughed so hard he staggered a little bit, and Gerard had to support him with one arm. “I’m gonna go get them,” said Frank, running after them into the hotel suite.

My take;
    I actually read this one first and it's my favorite 'cause... c'mon. Fucking Babies! at the Disco. What's not to love? Brendon is adorable and Ryan is quiet and Spencer is stubborn and Jon is "not a baby". XD And Frank is hyper like a kid, but it's well-written and not like he thinks Skittles are crack.
    Title: What Comes Around.
    Author/Rating: Same.
    Bandom: Same but with some FBR crossovers, like Greta Salpeter and Victoria Asher.
    Pairings: Same but with added Joncer.
    Word Count: ~17,000.
    Type: Two parts, completed.

Summary:
    Spencer has some issues with Jon, but he's too busy to worry about them because people are trying to kill his band.

Excerpt:
    "I'm gonna check on Jon," said Spencer.

"What?" Ryan squawked. "Don't you dare."

Spencer had to. Jon might be hurt or dead or anything, and he wouldn’t let Ryan or Brendon get hurt to check on him. "Shut up," said Spencer. "Bren, when they start shooting—"

"I have you covered," said Brendon confidently. Spencer wished he could see Brendon, to grin at him. "You fucking moron," Brendon went on, and Spencer could hear the eye-roll. "You're gonna get hurt."

"Nah," said Spencer, with certainty he didn't feel. "Okay, on three."

"Don't you fucking dare—" Ryan yelled.

"One, two, three," said Spencer, swallowed hard, and rolled out into the hall.

There was a spray of bullets, but they hit the wall over his head. And then Brendon was behind him, shooting back, half out in the hall while Ryan yelled at both of them for being unbelievably stupid in his most hysterical tone.

My take;
    This one isn't my favorite, but only because I'd rather have Ryden that Joncer. XD It's still really well-written and there's a scene with Brendon that made my life complete.
    February 10th, 2011 at 02:24am
  • fooleish

fooleish (205)

:
    Title: 9½ Things to Do With a Time Machine and Panic! at the Disco
    Author: themadlurker on archiveofourown
    Story Type: fanfiction
    Fandom: Panic! at the Disco/Doctor Who
    Rating: PG
    Genre: crack?

Reason for reccing: Doctor Who/bandom crossovers kind of make my life, and this one is both hilarious and adorable in equal measures. Eleven is perfectly-written, and Panic! are just adorable in all their different forms.

Summary: Time passed. In some places. In others it stood still, or went around in swirls and loops of the vortex, or got stuck in the flux invertor and made the temporal co-ordinates go all wobbly. Like most things in life, it all depends on where you're standing.

Excerpt: "Good afternoon, I'm the Doctor," said the Doctor, "and I'm here to save you from an imminent temperospatial event collapse and ensure that my reunion tour concert tickets don't become invalid."

A row of four unimpressed musicians with identical emo hairstyles stared blankly back at him. The Doctor did a quick head-count and determined that he had a complete set. Good.

"Did Pete send you?" asked the one on the far left.

"Aha, first album out, but new bassist, am I right?" said the Doctor. "I never could tell you apart in this era, which one are you?" He pointed to one of the four at random.

"Jon," said Jon. "And that's right. Did Pete send you?"

"No, wait, yes, who's Pete?" the Doctor asked. "Oh, of course, yes, Pete. Yes, he did. How do you do, I'm the Doctor, and I'm here to save your"

"You said that bit already," said one of the not-Jons flatly, but the Doctor wasn't paying any attention. He was peering very closely at the waistcoat of a different not-Jon, who fidgeted under the inspection.

"Looks like ...what is this, a bit of a Regency-influenced line, cabaret style, oh dear, that's a definite sign of temporal dislocation if I ever saw one. Tell me, small Panic boy," he asked the not-Jon, "have you spent any significant amounts of time in the 18th century?"

"Uh, I don't think so? And my name is Brendon," Brendon said, backing away slowly. "Could you please stop molesting my waistcoat? Zack doesn't let the fans take my clothes off."
    February 22nd, 2011 at 01:52pm
  • volta.

volta. (1000)

:
    Title: Skin and Bones
    Author: colour me perfect.
    Story Type: Slight Fan fiction with a semi-parallel to a True Story, tinged with a heavy dose of Original.
    Genre: Tragedy, Drama, semi-autobiographical, semi-Romance.
    Reason for Reccing: It's just a lovely story, and I feel like people should go and read it and just read it. :)
    Summary:
    When Sky's older sister dies, her whole world is shattered. Everything she knows becomes a lie, and instead of seeing the beauty in the world she begins to see masks on every person she once thought to be perfect.

And then Ed comes along in her time of need, offering her everything she's ever wanted; love, perfection and irrevokable beauty. The only problem? Ed's just as much a part of her as her blue eyes, her thin arms or her blonde hair. But he's stronger than her; much stronger, and she can't say no.

What are you supposed to do when all you need is a saviour, and you're not sure if you want to be saved?

Excerpt:
    Dear Anna,

I’m scared, Anna. I’m more scared than I’ve ever been, and more than that, I’m alone. They’re trying to make me change, and I don’t want to. I just want to be like you, Anna. That was all I wanted, but now it’s gotten so out of control that I don’t know what to do.

There are thoughts in my head, and I don’t know how to control them. They’re so loud and dominating, and I feel like no matter what, I have to do them. They’re controlling my brain and they’re making me crazy.

What do I do? I know you can’t answer, and I know you don’t care but I need you to watch over me. I’ve never felt so alone, Anna, and I’m scared that they’re going to make me change. Just watch me for a little bit, please. I don’t care how long it is, I just need to know that someone’s there.

Did you always want to be perfect? Is that what threw you over the edge; what sent you into depression? Perfection is overrated, but at the same time I can’t stop myself from fighting for it with everything in me. But it’s not coming any closer, and I’m falling deeper and deeper into what I fear is insanity.

I just want to be beautiful like you, Anna. Teach me to be beautiful like you.

From,
    Sky.
    February 26th, 2011 at 03:12am