‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Late

I pulled on my shoes as I stumbled down the stairs. I had slept in! I couldn't be late on my first day!

"Gabriella, you had better get going," Nick told me.

"What are you doing all dressed?" I asked him, throwing my bag over my shoulder.

"I have some chores to do, Miss Nosey." He laughed at his own jokes.

"Gabby, get going or you'll be late!" Zach called from the kitchen.

I peeked in and saw him and Joshua playing poker. Josh smiled and gave a quick wave. I waved back.

"See you guys later," I called, heading out the door. But, as soon as the door shut behind me, I felt my back hit the wall. I glared at Marshall. "What?"

"Where are you going?" he demanded, pressing his entire body to mine. I scowled at the display of dominance. And hormones.

"School. Good bye!"

"Gabby, can't I have a little good bye kiss?"

"Fine." I felt bad for the guy. I really did. I pitied him!

I planned on kissing him for five seconds, but the moment my lips touched his, I knew it'd be longer that that. I could tell how long he had been waiting for the second our lips were together--probably his whole life! He kissed me urgently, trying to do as much as he could before he lost the chance. He was trailing his hands up and down my body.

I tried to push him off, but he didn't get the hint. I probably would've been stuck there forever if Zach hadn't called for Marshall. I checked my watch and made a mad dash for the town.

"Excuse me, Miss," I begged, smiling. "Do you know where the high school is?"

She wordlessly pointed me in a direction. I had noticed the jealousy and envy in her eyes as she stared at me. I didn't have time to worry about it, so I ran to where she had pointed me.

When I got to the rather large building, I saw all of these eyes staring at me. I avoided every last one, afraid to make a scene. I searched desperately for Aiden, but I couldn't find him anywhere. I sighed and retreated to a large tree, hoping the shadow would hide me from their gazes.

"Oh, great. Another one."

I glanced over in the direction of the whisper that was more of a yell to my sensitive ears. I suddenly wished I had someone I knew with me--even if it had to be Marshall!

"Dude, she's hot!"

"Oh, shut up."

I glanced around. One group of people caught my gaze. They walked briskly over to me, each on the same step. I took in their scent and immediately knew: vampires.

"They're talking about you," one guy told me, eyes brooding. I rolled my eyes. I knew it too well. "You look alone. Come on, we'll show you around. After all, a friend of Zach's is a friend of mine."

"Actually, he's my brother," I said, smilin coyly. He smirked back.

But where was Aiden?