‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

I Should've been an Actor

"Oh, Holy Father in Hell, what have I walked in to?" Nicholas asked out loud. "That grin cannot be good in any sense of the word!"

"Oh, you flatter me, Nikki. Now, do sit beside me, love. I wish to mince words with you," I shouted dramatically with a thick British accent to mock how he spoke.

"Gabriella, if you intend to suck up to someone, do so with respect, alright? You'll get further. Now what do you want?"

"Could you talk with Zach for me?" I begged.

"About what, may I ask?"

"Well... I don't have any friends and all I do all day is sit in here and I've been thinking about other things to do. There's a school near here, right?"

"Yeah... But how did you get that idea in you head?" he asked me, staring into my eyes to see if I'd lie.

Oh, what the hell, I'd try.

"I saw a show on the TV about school and friends. They looked happy...unlike me."

I knew that's get him. His eyes darted away from mine as they grew sad and teary.

"I'll go talk to him now."

"Thanks," I mumbled sullenly. As soon as he was out the door, I smirked.

I had found out I was clinically depressed when I was ten. The doctor said it probably ran in the family--most likely on my mom's side. Zach had always tried to keep me as happy as he possibly could, but when he found out about my mental illness, he started doing anything, and everything, to make me smile. That's why it shocked me a little to see him so mad about the Aiden thing.

"Can I come in?" I heard Zach ask, quietly knocking on my door.

"Yeah."

I let my face fall as I somberly clicked through channel after channel on my television. I felt the bed shift as Zach sat down beside me. He took my hand into his and I looked over at him.

"I'm so sorry," he muttered, pulling my hand to his cheek. " For everything. Ok? I'm sorry I blew up on you. And if you want to go to that school, I won't stop you. Just promise me one thing?" He was begging. I smiled.

"Anything. What?"

He smiled coyly.

"Bring back some hot girl friends."

"You pig," I shouted jokingly, jumping on him and knocking him back onto the bed. I laughed when he flipped us over. I smiled up at him and he smiled gently down at me before kissing me softly. He got up quickly, sighing.

"We don't want to make Marshall jealous now, do we?"

I made a face as Zach left me all alone.