‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

I Never Claimed To Be Love Struck

Mingling among vampires can make you rather uneasy under certain circumstances. For one thing, I had been spending all of my time at school and out of school with werewolves and a half-breed, like myself. For another, I really hadn’t spend much time with the vampires I was conversing with at Rosemarie’s party.

The only people I knew were Benjamin, Rosemarie, and Michael. Benji had walked up to me nearly the instant I had stepped foot in the yard, but Rose was far to busy with Michael to have even attempted to care. I hadn’t seen them once and the party was nearly halfway over, but Ben had told me that they were in her room. I hadn’t asked for any more information on the subject.

“So you and the dope are over?” Benji was saying, mindlessly swirling a glass of wine in his hand. He seemed to have no intention of drinking it for he watched as a small amount dripped onto the grass we were standing on.

“Yeah,” I shrugged, trying to numb the feeling of rejection that my heart knew too well. I was trying to ignore the claustrophobia that was setting in thanks to the large groups of vampires surrounding us, lingering and talking in all areas of the backyard.

“You were too good for him anyway, love,” he assured me, casually slinging his arm around my shoulder. Another drop of wine went crashing to the ground.

“Tipsy, are we?” I joked, giggling.

“Oh, of course not,” he waved it off. “I’m strong, remember?” He flexed and the—what seemed like distant—memory returned to me. I laughed, feeling up his bicep.

“Haven’t gone soft, have you? I’m a wimp, though,” I admitted, attempting to flex. There was muscle, but that was only thanks to my vampire blood. Or maybe that was the werewolf side of me. I didn’t know, but I also didn’t care. The muscle was for show mostly.

“Oh, but I like petite girls anyway, mon cherie,” he purred in my ear, a slight hint of seduction laced in his breath.

“Oh, I’m not that small, am I?” Yes, I was flirting, but why shouldn’t I be? He dumped me on my ass and I had no intention of crawling back to him. I wasn’t some weak little love struck human girl.

I gasped flirtatiously as Benji’s arms suddenly wrapped around me as he lifted me up and twirled me before setting me back down. I couldn’t help but notice how he had put me down closer to him.

“Yes, you are, darling. You’re are perfectly small.”

I looked at my feet. Yeah, I was small for now, but what about when Aiden’s children started growing? I groaned inwardly, though I doubted if Benjamin cared or even noticed. My eyes drifted back to him and I stifled a gasp as I saw how close he had gotten. He surely saw that I was about to let out that breath since his eyes were glued to my lips and he smirked, sending a quick glance to meet my gaze before returning his eyes to their previous task. I wasn’t at all surprised when his hands found the small of my back and he suddenly jerked me forward. My hands rose instinctively to his—muscular, might I add?—chest and he licked his lips quickly. I didn’t care because in less than a second his lips were on mine.

It was a bit rough and I could tell he was trying to be dominate, but I had expected that since male vampires tended to be rather assertive. I hastily responded as my arms traveled past his broad shoulders so they could wrap around his neck and pull him closer. My hand tangled itself in Ben’s thick, shaggy blond hair and I felt him smile against his lips as he practically crushed me against him before letting me go. I stumbled, but he pulled me back to him, holding my ear to his chest. The absence of his heartbeat was almost comforting as I nestled into the fabric of his black hoodie.

“You don’t have any idea how long I’ve wanted that.”

Oh, that bastard Aiden was going to love this.

“Yeah? Me, too,” I purred in his ear, standing on my tip-toes. He purred back, seductively.

“The mutt never stood a chance.”