See Jack Run

Chapter 19

Negligence: A crime. Neglecting to help circumstances in your control. A person can be locked up for a long time if they're found guilty of it, in any situation.
Mom had screened by a pyscologist, and it was decided that in this situation, because of Mikey's normally amiable nature and Jack's silence, and the fact that Mom worked as a waitress in three different restaraunts at three different times, meant that there was not evidence nor reason to charge her with negligence.
Jack would always bear reminder to why her mother stayed out of prison on her face. Her silence had brought her suffering, but what could she have done? She had told her mother that Mikey was hitting her. How was her mother expected to guess the degrees of torture that Mikey ascended to? No parent wants to believe that their children will cause pain in any other children, especially their siblings. Most parents think the best of their children, and wouldn't forsee circumstances like this in their wildest dreams.
And why? Why should they? Most children are very good. There will always be sibling rivalry, but in the end, most siblings hug and make up. That's what the parents want. That's what the siblings want. Why should they not get what they want? What makes their issues so horrible that it means causing fear, pain and suffering of your own blood?
Those questions beat in Jack's blood as she walked into her house with Gerard. She hadn't said a word. Her mind had been screaming at her, scolding her, for allowing herself to suffer in silence. But Jack tried to shut out her thoughts and convinced herself that Mikey had worked his way into her head.
Stupid! Her mind screamed.
Look at your face! Look what you did! See now?
Shut up. Jack's other thoughts countered those ones, and then another part of Jack's mind forced the other two parts to shut down. There had been enough torment already.
A hand on her shoulder. She looked up, expecting Mikey. It was Mom.
"Are you hungry, honey?"
Jack shook her head, then headed for the room that she no longer shared with Mikey. It was strange. His bed was there. His books were there. His backpack was there. Everything that was Mikey's essence was there. So Mikey's absence made everything seem completely out of place.
Slowly, Jack walked over to his side of the room. Touched his books. Brushed the sheets.
Jack, don't touch my stuff. Mikey's voice said to her, sounding threatening.
Get out. Jack's concsiounce whispered to Mikey's voice.
"Stop!" Jack said aloud, scaring herself. Her voice had been in her head before, but now it was out in the air, and words came out of her mouth again.
"The first sign of insanity." She mumbled to herself.
The Catcher In The Rye. Gerard's favorite book. It sat there on Mikey's shelf. Fahrenheit 451. That was there too.
The plain navy blue bedspread. The backpack still filled with schoolwork he wouldn't do. And that's when Jack saw Mikey's journal.
Gerard didn't keep a journal, at least not that she knew of. This was a seperate entity, a part of Mikey that she was almost sure was his own, not an extention of Gerard that he failed to be.
Jack didn't want to read it. She was afraid of what he might have written. She didn't want to see Mikey's thoughts. She already knew them.