I'd Kiss You Goodbye If I Thought It Would Make You Stay

California

“We’ve been on the run, driving in the sun. Looking out for number one. California, here we come, right back where we started from.” – Phantom Planet

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I’m on my laptop, sitting on the couch in the front lounge as I check our band’s myspace and answer some comments.

Suzie’s on her laptop as well, sitting at the table, and Seb’s making himself a peanut butter sandwich at the counter.

Suddenly, Jude bursts into the front, causing me and Suzie to jump in surprise.

California…” he starts to sing in Seb’s face.

California…” Seb joins in, before taking a bite of his sandwich.

“Oh God,” Suzie mutters to herself, shaking her head at them because she knows what’s coming.

Here we coooomeeeee!” I finish dramatically, singing at the top of my lungs.

“You guys don’t have to sing that every single time we go home,” she snaps in annoyance, rolling her eyes. But she should have expected this from us; we’re playing in L.A. tonight, and we’re more hyped up than usual.

“Hey! I can see my house!” Jude announces suddenly, face pressed up against the window, jabbing a finger at the window excitedly.

“Your apartment would be somewhere on that side of the highway, dumbass,” Seb says, pointing at the opposite window of the one Jude’s face is on. I start to laugh at him, causing Jude to shoot both me and Seb incredibly dirty looks.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

We don’t have much scheduled today, so we talk to the hardcore fans that are already lined up for the show, even though doors don’t open until six tonight. As my eyes scan the queue, I actually see familiar faces and stop to say hi.

We’re performing at the House of Blues tonight, where just a few years ago we only dreamed of playing. This was where Suzie and I had actually met Seb and Jude, all of us in our first year of college, about six years ago, if you can believe it. In fact, Seb had been trying to pick up Suzie that night, and we ended up discovering that the three of us were attending the same college, while Jude and Seb had been friends since grade school.

It had all worked out from there.

We eventually head back to where the busses are parked, where I see Mike looking around as if he’s lost.

“You okay, Mike?” Seb asks him, and he jumps, startled.

“Yeah, uh…ready to go, Pancake Buddy?” he asks me suddenly, faking excitement.

“Yeah…” I reply, as the others walk past onto the bus and Mike sighs in relief, running his hands through his hair. “Okay, what’s really going on? There isn’t an IHOP within walking distance of here and Andy isn’t here with us, so you better not fucking be getting my hopes up,” I inform him jokingly, poking his chest for emphasis.

“I know, but I need to talk to you. Not here, though,” he says, glancing around warily.

“Um…dressing room?” I suggest, and he nods, leading the way.

I close the door behind us, sitting on the couch and waiting patiently as he begins to pace.

“What I am about to say does not leave this room,” he states seriously, glancing at me to make sure I understood. I nod back, but stifle a giggle at his dramatics once he looks away again. “I…I think I want to…ask Suzie out,” he says quickly, glancing at me again to gage my reaction. I try to keep my expression neutral.

“I don’t know, Mike…” I begin.

“Why not?” he asks. The look on his face makes me feel bad, and I don’t want to tell him that Suzie’s never been a big fan of dating, and especially not dating her friends. I also don’t want to break it to him that Suzie’s been texting and talking to Alex more often, ever since she invited him to our show in New York last week.

“Just…I’m not sure she’s interested in you like that…” I say gently, trying not to hurt his feelings.

“She’s not?” he asked, sounding disheartened. “Why not?”

We’re interrupted by Bill and Sisky barging in, Sisky, of course, leading the way. He really is the master of picking the wrong moments to interrupt.

“We’re trying to have a conversation,” Mike informs them, slightly irritated.

“If it’s about Suzie, everyone already knows,” Sisky retorts, heading over to the refreshments table to stuff his face with chips and diet soda. Mike groans and William chuckles, clapping him on the back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like it's been a week since I last updated...It's only been three days, that's weird. I can't wait to post the chapters towards the end of tour (in three chapters, I believe)....I'm working on prewriting the last few chapters of this, too...and I know what I'm doing for a sequel. : ) I'm excited.

Thanks: See., Lagerfeld's Muse, daydreamer2006, maccaveen, hockeyxgirlsxrock, To_Settle_The_Score, ashgal19, cassifer134, HarperB82, SarahBeth1369, Shenanigans0803, darkday15, & bassrulestheworld.