Sequel: Worth Waiting For

It's A Roller Coaster Ride We're On

Amazing Discoveries

Image

“Disco?” Lauren asked.

“No, not at all.” Joe said.

“Joe that’s the fourth theme I’ve come up with that you’ve shot down!” she exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air.

“Well, pick a good theme.” He retorted.

“I wouldn’t do that.” I whispered to him.

“What?”

“I have been picking good themes! But since you’re a guy you don’t agree with any of them!” she yelled.

“Lauren, chill.” Joe said.

“Lauren, sweetie, come on… I’m sure you two can agree on something. Now, you both like vintage right?” I asked. They both nodded their head. “Okay… so, what about a party themed around the 1940’s?”

“Oh! I could dress up in a cute little military outfit!”

“Okay and you both love music so we can get a music themed cake…”

“I like the sound of that.” Joe said. He looked at Lauren. “We’ll go with Lyss’ idea?”

“Deal.” Lauren said, reaching across to shake hands with him.

“Okay, well, Lauren you know all the places to call for these kinds of things so you should get on that since we only have two weeks.” I said.

“No problem,” she said, already reaching for her phone.

“Should I be worried?” Joe whispered in my ear.

“Nah, I don’t think so.” I said, turning my head so our noses were almost touching. I got lost in his eyes for a moment then he gave me a quick kiss.

“Well, I guess we should go shopping, huh?” he asked.

“Yeah, let’s go!”

“No, you guys can’t go shopping.” Lauren said, stopping her dialing.

“Why not?” I asked.

“My last call I just set up a meeting with a swing band for Joe and me to check out. You can still go though Mel.”

“Lauren, come on,” Joe practically whined.

“No, Joe it’s okay. Kevin and I can go. We can go present shopping without having to worry about you guys possibly seeing what we’re buying.” I said. “Right Kevin?”

“Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.” He said.

“Wait, a swing band?” Joe asked.

“Duh, it is a 1940’s themed party.” She said rolling her eyes.

“I don’t know…”

“Just trust me. We’ll go check them out and if you don’t like them I guess we can get a DJ or whatever but, trust me, this will be way more fun.”

“Fine, I’ll check them out with you while Lyss and Kevin go shopping. I’ll see you later,” he said, turning to me and enveloping me in a hug.

“Have fun,” I said, smiling up at him.

“I’ll try,” he said, rolling his eyes. I reached up and kissed him.

“Come on Kevin! Let’s go shopping!”

****

“So… Mel…”

“So… Kev,” I said, smiling at him as we walked through the mall.

“You look… happier.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, ever since you and Joe made it official the other week, you’ve seemed happier than you have the past few months.”

“Well, Kevin, I am.”

“So, you’re absolutely positive? No more confusion?”

“No, no more confusion.”

“Good,” he said, smiling at me. “Let’s go in here.” He said, pointing to a jewelry store.

“Okay, if you say so. I didn’t think Joe was big on jewelry though.” I joked.

“Not for Joe. For Lauren.” He said, rolling his eyes.

“Right, I knew that.”

So we walked in and Kevin went one way while I went another. After a few minutes of looking around for Joe, just on the off-chance there may actually have been something I went looking for Kevin. I found him looking into one of the glass cases so I sidled up next to him to see if I could figure out what he was looking at.

“Uh… Kev? Why are you looking at rings? Very… expensive rings…”

“What? No, um, I’m not, I’m looking at those earrings back there.” Yeah… okay.

“Oh, well, those aren’t really Lauren’s style. Those however,” I said, pointing over in the next case. “would be perfect.”

“Right. Thanks Mel.” He said, blushing slightly as he went to look in the next case. I smiled to myself as he looked a little longer. “I don’t think I want to buy her jewelry.” He said.

“Alright well… let’s go to the electronics store… I think I know what I want to get Joe.”

“And what would that be?” he asked.

“You’ll have to wait and see. As for Lauren, I think she’s been hinting at something. Have
you caught on?”

“Hm,” he said, thinking. “Oh! Okay… I know.”

“Alright, let’s go and we’ll meet back in here in twenty minutes.”

“Okay.”

****

“No, no, no! The cake has to go over there!” Lauren exclaimed, waving her arms around frantically.

She was all dressed and ready except for her hat which Denise kept trying to pin on her head but she was moving around too much trying to instruct the people setting up where to go. I shook my head and walked off to the room they had set aside for us to change so I could put my dress on. As I walked in, Kevin was walking out of the room next door.

“You may want to try to calm Lauren down before she cracks.” I suggested. He looked over at the excitement and gulped. “Have fun!” I laughed.

In the room I changed into my silver and black dress and fixed my hair and make-up. When I was done I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed.

“That’s as 1940’s as it’s going to get.” I said. I turned around and opened the door and saw Joe and Kevin talking. When he heard the door open Joe looked up and saw me. I smiled and walked over to them. He looked so adorable all dressed up.

“Hey Mel, you look great.” Kevin said.

“Thanks Kev,” I said, smiling before turning to Joe. He was still staring… “Joe?”

“I think he’s speechless.” Kevin said.

“And breathless,” I joked. I snapped my fingers in front of Joe and he didn’t move.

“Hopeless,” Kevin said, shaking his head.

“Oh geez, this is ridiculous.” I said, referring to Joe and how Kevin and I were messing around with Lovebug. Something clicked and I stood on my tiptoes and wrapped my arms around Joe’s neck and kissed him. Soon his arms wrapped around my waist and he kissed back.

“Head over heels is more like it.” he said, smiling at me. I groaned. “What? You guys started it!”

“So?” I asked, messing with him.

“Oh come on!” He whined.

“Joe, I’m kidding.” I said smiling at him.

“Not funny,” he pouted.

“Hey,” I said, putting a finger under his chin and tilting his head up. “You look so handsome.”

“Yeah, well you look… gorgeous. Better than gorgeous. In fact, so much better that there’s not a word for it.”

“Joe,” I sighed.

“What? It’s true.” He whispered, leaning down to kiss me. “Lyss?”

“Hm?” I asked as he buried his face in my hair.

“What did you get me?” he whispered in my hair.

“Not a chance. You’ll find out when the time comes.”

“Damn. Well, it was worth a shot.” He said.

“Mel, can you go out front and see if the band’s here yet? They were supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago!”

“Alright, Lauren I’ll go. Just try to relax okay?”

“I can’t relax! This is insane! John, Greg, Ryan, and Jack are supposed to be here to help set up too and they’re not here yet. They’re not here, the bands not here… my aunt and uncle aren’t even here yet!”

“Okay, Kevin, take her to the changing room. Sit her down… give her some water. Joe and I will go see if the band’s here yet.”

“Alright,” Kevin said. “Come on baby,” he said, wrapping his arm around Lauren’s waist and leading her to the changing room.

Joe and I waited for the band outside… people gave us weird looks when they saw our outfits and we just laughed. Joe had his arms wrapped around me and was kissing the top of my head when we heard the door open. We both turned to see who had joined us.

“Hey guys,”

“Hey Nick,” I said, smiling at him.

“Hey,” Joe said. Admittedly, things were still a bit awkward between the three of us and we all knew it. We didn’t want it to be that way… it just was.

“Lauren sent me out here… she didn’t think you two would be uh… paying enough attention to notice if the band had arrived.” He said clearing his throat. I blushed and looked up at Joe who just rolled his eyes.

“You weren’t kidding when you said she went crazy with this stuff. I’m starting to regret suggesting this.” Joe said.

“Trust me, it’s all worth it.” I said.

“You guys can go in; I’ll wait for the band.” Nick said.

“Thanks Nick, but we’re not going to leave you alone.” I said, patting his arm. He smiled at me under his curls.

“Yeah what kind of brother would I be if I left you out here all alone?” Joe joked.

The band finally showed up about twenty minutes later and the three of us ushered them inside. During that time, Joe, Nick, and I just talked. We were talking and laughing… that hasn’t happened in awhile between the three of us. Things are almost back to normal.

****

Guests started arriving. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Herrmann, Lauren’s aunt and uncle. A lot of the boys’ friends showed up… people from Disney. Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, David Henrie… even their friends from home like their good friend Maya. That was cool to meet her, Lauren wants to interview her. While we were greeting these guests, Lauren almost freaked when she saw Demi. She’s a big fan of Demi’s music and literally almost squealed when she saw her but instead composed herself and gave Demi a hug and thanked her for coming. Even a few friends of mine and Lauren’s from high school came. It was like a mini-reunion for us. I saw Lauren and Kevin standing off to the side and Kevin looked like he was trying to calm her down.

“Come on,” I said, grabbing Joe’s hand and leading him over there.

“Babe remember to have fun tonight” I heard Kevin say to her, rubbing his hands up and down her arms.

“Fun, right do you know how… oh, I love this song. Look at the band. They look great don’t they?” she asked, looking towards the band as they started in on an upbeat swing song.

“They look in pretty good shape. Looks like you’ve got a hit on your hands here Laur.” Kevin said, kissing the top of her head.

“So far, so good. No one’s dancing though. Well… it is early. I guess they’ll dance more after dinner.” Lauren said looking at me; I nodded my head in agreement.

“You’ll see dancing right now.” Kevin said, leading her to the dance floor.

“Kevin, it’s before dinner. Who dances during appetizers?”

“Come on. Let’s show them how it’s done.” He said, spinning her around. I laughed as she playfully glared at him but continued to dance anyway. I looked up at Joe and he was smiling at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Let’s join them.” He said, leading me out there.

“No, Joe! I can’t dance.” I said, struggling to stay back.

“Oh please. Come on it’ll be fun.”

“No!”

“Trust me,” he said softly, still holding onto me but not pulling me towards the floor. I sighed.

“Fine…” he beamed at me as I joined him. He pulled me close and lifted me a bit so my feet were on his. “What are you doing?” I asked, laughing.

“You said you can’t dance so… I’m helping you.” He said, leaning down and kissing me before waltzing across the floor. At least, I think he was waltzing.

****

After dinner, Joe excused himself from the table. I assumed it was for the bathroom. That is, until I heard his voice being amplified throughout the hall.

“Hey everyone! Thanks for coming to mine and Lauren’s joint birthday party. Let’s not forget though that it’s my parents’ anniversary. Happy anniversary Mom and Dad.” He said, gesturing towards his parents. Everyone applauded and Lauren, the Jonas boys and I stood up. “Well, I feel like twenty is a very special birthday for me. It’s a nice solid number and I’m happy to be here. I thought it would make this day more special, if I could have a dance with someone who means so much to me. Melissa Douglas, may I have this dance?”
I blushed in my seat and glared at him. Lauren and Kevin pulled me up and pushed me towards the dance floor where Joe caught me in his arms.

“I hate you,” I whispered.

“No you don’t,” he said, smiling at me.

He took my right hand in his left and put my left hand on his shoulder, wrapping his right arm around my waist. A song started to play… when they lyrics started, my jaw dropped. Once the chorus hit, Joe started singing along.

“I don’t know how you do what you do; I’m so in love with you, it just keeps getting better. I want to spend the rest of my life, with you by my side, forever and ever. Every little thing that you do, baby, I’m amazed by you.”

“Oh, my God,” I gasped. He smiled at me. “You left the notes.”

“Yeah, that was me.”

“All that time. They were all you?”

“Every single one.”

“I thought they were from Nick.” I said in awe.

“You never asked him?”

“No, I just assumed.” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

“Well, you know what they say happens when you assume.”

“Yeah, yeah I know.”

“Lyss?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.” He said. I looked up into those deep brown eyes of his.

“I love you too.” I said. I meant it, I truly did. I’m in love with Joseph Jonas. He smiled and leaned in and captured my lips in his. He pulled away after a moment and placed his forehead on mine.

“Oh, and Lyss?”

“Yes?”

“What did you get me?”

“You’ll find out… when you open your presents later.”

“Meanie,” he said, brushing his lips against my forehead.

“Oh, but you love me.” I said.

“I do. I truly do,” he said, leaning in and kissing me again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow.... so quite the elaborate theme huh? Obviously the theme idea came from Gilmore Girls because of that picture of Alexis (Lauren) Um.... don't have much to ask I guess. What do you think now that Joe and Melissa have come to terms that they do love each other???

There, that's a good one.

Thanks for reading!

C/R/S

~Steph <3