Worth Waiting For

Welcome to the World

November 3, 2010
Week 40
4:30 p.m.


“Hi, yes I need a cab… 1322 Constabulary Road… yes… thank you.” I said, hanging up the phone. I had to get to my parents house to get last minute things from Mom. Joe, Nick, and Kevin were at the studio… Lauren was at work… Lana was at school… Lord knows where Logan was. This was my only option.

While I waited I walked around the completely decorated nursery. Nick had helped me paint it and everything. He put all the baby furniture together and he was just… amazing. I’m so glad he wanted to know the sex so he could help. This entire room was our little secret from everyone. I brushed my fingers against the fabric of the blanket in the crib and smiled. A few days from now and I’ll have my little girl in here. A car horn pulled me out of my reverie. I walked downstairs and opened the door to find a cab waiting for me.

“63 Livingston Drive please.” I said, delicately climbing into the backseat. As the driver started the fifteen minute drive I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen and took in a breath. He looked at me in the rearview mirror before turning back to the road.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“I’m fine. My doctor said this would happen.” I said. He nodded and continued driving… occasionally glancing back at me.

Awhile later he pulled into my parents’ driveway. I took money out of my bag and paid the man before opening the door. I swung my legs out and went to stand when I felt the pain again and I clutched my stomach wincing.

“Really are you okay? Are you in… labor?” he asked, gulping.

“Maybe but… I’ll be fine. Thank you.” I said, climbing out and closing the door. After he left I walked to the door and rang the bell. The maid… a new one might I add… opened the door smiling.

“Hello,” she said.

“Hi, I’m here to see my parents.”

“Oh. Mr. and Mrs. Douglas called and said they were running a little late. Your grandmother is here though.”

“Thank you, uh…”

“Gerta, ma’am.”

“Thank you Gerta.” I said smiling as I stepped inside.

“She’s just in the sitting room.” She said, closing the door and making her way to the kitchen. I cautiously walked across the foyer and into the sitting room where Gran was sitting in one of the chairs, book in hand.

“Hi Gran.” I said, walking in and smiling slightly at her.

“Oh, Melissa. What are you doing here?”

“I came to get a few last minute things from Mom but Gerta said that she and Dad aren’t back yet. Do you mind if I sit in here with you?”

“No one is stopping you.” she said and lifted her book back up to her face. I sat down, biting my lip and racking my brain for something to say. I wanted to know why she never came when Dad was sick. There’s no time like the present.

“Gran can I ask you something?” She sighed and put her book back in her lap. “Why didn’t you come when Dad was in the hospital? It happened twice and you never came but you came for my wedding.”

“I am a very busy woman Melissa.” She said simply. “I had charity events and fundraisers to attend back in London.”

“And those were more important than your son?” I asked, raising my voice.

“Well, your father means very much to me but I can’t just up and leave and take such a long flight. I knew he was going to be okay with the Douglas blood he has.”

“But he might not have been okay!” I was clearly shouting now. “He could have died. Do you understand that?”

“Melissa calm down.” She said. I stood up and walked towards her.

“I will not calm dow-ow!” I cried, clutching my stomach.

“Melissa?”

“No, it will pass.”

“You should sit down.” She said. “Gerta!”

“Yes ma’am.” Gerta said, coming in as I sat back down.

“Get my granddaughter a glass of water.” She said and Gerta walked back to the kitchen. The pain slowly went away but as soon as Gerta walked back in…

“Ow!” I breathed in sharply at the pain. “Gran… I need to get to the hospital.”

“Gerta… the phone.” Gran said. Gerta hurried out to get the phone and Gran came over to help me up. I stood up as Gerta dialed 911 for an ambulance.

“Melissa, breathe deeply.” Gran said… I started breathing when all of a sudden…

“Gran… my water broke.”

“I can see that dear. Gerta?”

“They’re on their way.”

“Come on, let’s get you to the door.” Grand said. She stood on one side and Gerta went on the other side of me, helping me to the door.

“I need to call Joe.” I said.

“I think that can wait until we get to the hospital.”

“No, I need to call Joe, now!” I said.

“Alright, Gerta do you still have the phone?”

“No, I’ll go get it.” She said, releasing me.

“No… I have my cell phone in my purse. You can’t stop supporting me right now.” I said, inhaling sharply again as another contraction ripped through my body. Gerta reached into my purse and pulled out my phone and handed it to me. I hit speed dial to reach Joe… it rang and rand and rang….

Hey babe

“Gah, finally!”

Lyss… what’s wrong?

“Meet me at the hospital. I’m in labor.”

Oh my God! Where are you?

“I’m at my parents’ house. Gran and the maid are with me and we’re waiting for the ambulance. You and Kev and Nick need to go home and grab the bag from the closet by the front door and get to the hospital. Call your parents, Lauren, and Lana. I’ll call mine.”

Alright. Just keep breathing like we practiced. I’ll see you real soon. I love you.

“I love you too. Oh, the ambulance is here. Okay… bye.” I said, hanging up. Gerta opened the door and the paramedics rolled the stretcher in and helped me onto it.

“Hang on ma’am. We’ll get you to the hospital as fast as we can.” One said, smiling down at me.

“Hurry! I am not giving birth in an ambulance.”

“Don’t worry. You won’t.” he said, laughing. “Is there anyone you need to call?”

“My parents. I can call them from in here right?” I asked as I was loaded in. Gran climbed in with the paramedics help and sat beside me not knowing what to do.

“Good luck Miss Melissa!” Gerta called.

“Thank you Gerta.”

“Yes, you can call them.” He said.

****

“Is Joe here yet?” I asked as one of the nurses helped me get into a gown and my mother flitted about the room making sure I had the right amount of pillows and everything.

“Not yet. Your father is in the hall calling him now to see where he is.”

“What about Gran?” I asked as I carefully climbed onto the bed.

“She’s in the waiting room drinking some tea.” Mom said, standing next to me. I winced and she grabbed my hand. “How far apart are they now?”

“Less than four minutes.” I said through gritted teeth, breathing deeply.

“Okay, just remember the breathing we practiced.” Mom said, breathing with me.

“I’m here! I’m here, did I miss anything?” Lana asked as she frantically rushed into the room. “Oh good,” she breathed as she saw me and came over and squeezed my other hand.

“I hope you’re not missing class.” I said.

“It doesn’t matter if I am. Don’t worry about it.” She said. “Where’s everyone else?”

“Lauren’s coming from work, my parents are here…. Mom and Dad are getting Frankie from school… and the boys should be here…”

“Lyss?” I heard Joe shout down the hallway.

“Soon.” I said, grinning as my husband rushed into the room, his brothers close behind. He dashed towards me and Mom moved so he could talk to me. H took my hand and kissed my forehead.

“How are you doing Lyss?” he asked.

“I’ve been better.” I said, squeezing his hand as another contraction came.

“Excuse me everyone but you’re all going to have to clear out of here. We’re getting ready for the delivery.” Dr. Lockhart said, coming in.

“We’ll be in the waiting room.” Kevin said, kissing my cheek before walking out.

“See you in a bit.” Nick said, doing the same before taking Lana’s hand and following after Kevin.

“Dr. Lockhart this is my mother.” I said. The two shook hands and Dr. Lockhart said hi to Joe. “Joe… can you go see if your Mom is here?”

“Be right back.” He said, grinning. He handed my mother the hospital bag and turned the corner out of the room.

“Mom, can you get Joe’s video camera out of the bag. It’s in the large pocket.” I said as Dr. Lockhart spread my legs to examine me.

“Okay Melissa, you’re seven centimeters. It might be awhile.” She said, now checking the baby’s heart rate. “Anne, can you get the baby warmer and bring it here so we’re ready for later?” she asked the nurse.

“Look who I found.” Joe said, stepping back into the room smiling, his mother and Lauren behind him.

“Hi sweetheart.” Denise said, kissing my cheek.

“Hey, do you want me in here?” Lauren asked.

“Do you want to be in here?” I asked. She looked around.

“I think I’ll wait with the others. It’s crowded enough already in here and I think you have the right support you need.” She said smiling. “Be gentle with my little niece or nephew.” She said, hugging me before joining the others.

“So… now we wait?” Joe asked.

“Now we wait.” I said.

****

November 4, 2010
1:40 a.m.


“Alright Melissa, bear down and… push!” Dr. Lockhart said. Denise was on one side of me, Mom on the other both holding my hands and helping me push my body forward. My face scrunched together as I used all my might to push.

“Gah!” I screamed after the push, taking in a deep breath.

“Come on baby, you’re doing great.” Joe said from behind the video camera.

“Joe, I need you here, holding my hand. Give the camera to someone else.” I pleaded, looking over at him with sweat dripping down my forehead. He switched places with his mother, Denise now recording one of the most incredible moments of our lives, and held my hand.

“Okay, deep breath and… push!” Dr. Lockhart said again.

“1… 2… 3… 4… 5… 6… 7… 8… 9… 10!” Joe counted as I pushed. I squeezed his hand very hard and then released, falling back on the pillows.

“Almost there Melissa. I can see the head.”

“Really?” Joe asked.

“Yes, and there’s quite the amount of hair.”

“Lyss… get this baby out… now… sweetheart.” He added quickly after I shot him a look. I got ready to push again.

“Alright… go.” Dr. Lockhart said. “Stop, the head is out. Melissa… do not push.” She said. She cleared the baby’s nose and mouth and started work on the shoulders. “This will hurt just a little. Okay… now one last push and… say hello to your baby girl.” She said, holding up my beautiful daughter. “Dad will you cut the cord?”

“A girl?” Joe asked. “Lyss… a baby girl!” he said, walking over to the cut the cord. He came back over and leaned down to kiss me. “Oh my God.” He whispered.

“Are you happy?” I asked through my tears.

“Unbelievably happy. I love you so much.” He said, kissing me again. Dr. Lockhart came over and handed me our baby girl.

“Congratulations.” She said as Joe and I smiled down at our little girl. “What’s her name?”

“Alexandra.” Joe choked out. “Alexandra Lauren Jonas.”

“It’s beautiful.” I said, smiling down at her. “Hello Alexandra, welcome to the world.” She yawned and opened her big brown eyes.

“She’s so beautiful.” Joe whispered, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

“Mom, what time was she born at exactly?” I asked.

“Two, sweetheart.” Mom said, smiling down at her new grand-daughter.

“Born at two a.m. That’s funny.” I said, letting out a laugh.

“Right. The song.” Joe said. I looked up at him and smiled

“You remembered.” I said.

“Where do you think I got the name?” he asked. I laughed and looked at my Mom and Denise. Denise was still running the camera and pointed it at me and my little baby girl.

“Joe… can you go tell everyone else?” I asked.

“Of course. I’ll be right back.”

****

Joe’s POV

I walked out of the room and rounded the corner down the hallway. As soon as the rest of our family came into sight I slowed down. Lauren was the first to see me. She let go of Kevin’s hand and stood up.

“So?” she asked loudly. I walked closer so I wouldn’t have to shout.

“It’s a girl!” I exclaimed and they all looked surprised except Nick of course. Lauren jumped over the table and hugged me tightly and my brothers soon followed.

“Congratulations Joe.” Dad said, giving me a hug.

“Thanks Dad.”

“Can I see her?” Frankie asked.

“Not yet Frankie. They have to clean her up and let her rest a little before you guys can see her. Mel needs to rest too.” I said, knowing that question was soon to come out of his mouth.

“Can I sleep now then?” he asked and everybody laughed.

“Yes Frankie you can sleep.” Dad said. “Come on.”

“So what’s her name?” Nick asked.

“Alexandra Lauren Jonas.” I said, smiling at Lauren as she squealed.

“Her middle name is Lauren?” she asked, tears in her eyes.

“Yes.”

“Whose idea was that?”

“Mine.” I said. She full out sobbed and hugged me again.

“You two will be her Godparents right?” I asked her and Kevin.

“Of course.” Kevin said.

“So, uh, where’s Dad?” I asked, searching for my father-in-law.

“Clark had to take Melissa home. She said she was tired and could not sit in the hospital waiting room anymore. He told us he’d be back as soon as possible but apparently not soon enough. We’ll let him know when he gets back.” Kevin said. “You go be with your wife.”

“See you in a few hours.” Lana said, giving me a hug.

“Goodnight guys.”

“Goodnight… my brother the Dad.” Nick said with a smile. I smiled and waved until they were out of sight before turning to go back to Lyss.

A girl. My very own little girl. I can’t believe this I thought. On the way back to Lyss’ room I passed the nursery and paused to see if Alexandra was in there. I looked around the basinets looking for that one special one. There, Baby Jonas the card said on front. I looked down at my little baby girl and her eyes were closed. I watched as she breathed in and out and I felt a few tears fall down my face.

“Would you like to hold her?” Dr. Lockhart asked, stepping out of the nursery. “You didn’t get a chance to in there.”

“Shouldn’t I let her sleep?”

“Babies sleep most of the time. Melissa is already asleep so you need not worry about her. Cherish this moment while you can Joe.” She said, smiling at me.

“Alright,” I said stepping towards the door but she put her hand out and stopped me.

“Hospital policy, you need to put on this gown.” She said, grabbing a gown from the table next to the door. I slipped my arms through the sleeves and tied up the back.

“Now?” I asked and she nodded her head. I stepped inside and walked over to my baby girl.

Gently reaching in to pick her up, I marveled at how she stretched in my arms before cradling her head in the crook of my elbow and supporting the rest of her body with my other arm. She yawned and opened her eyes to look up at me.

“Hi Ally-Baby. I’m your Daddy.” I said, smiling down at her. She didn’t make a sound. She just silently stared up at me and I stared back. Slowly, her tiny hand wrapped around my finger and my heart just about melted. In these few moments, this little human being became my world.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG yay!! The baby is here! Little Miss Alexandra Lauren Jonas XD
So cute!

So how about Joe's reaction? Everything you thought it would be and more? I don't know... but I feel like that could be something similar to how he really will react whenever he has a little girl of his own XD

Please, please comment on this since this was the moment we have all been waiting for. A few more chapters for this one and then I'll have a surprise announcement in the last chapter!

C/R/S

Thanks so much for reading!

~Steph <3