Worth Waiting For

Hospital Revisited

May 4, 2010
Melissa’s 22nd Birthday


The rest of the Jonas’, my parents, and Lauren’s aunt and uncle were at the house to celebrate my birthday. They were all in the dining room talking but Nick had gone out to the living room to answer his phone. All night I noticed he seemed kind of… sad so I excused myself and went to talk to him. I stopped at the doorway when I heard him on the phone.

“Yeah… I miss you too… When is your last final? Ha, good luck with that,” he said and I decided to go sit next to him. He looked up at the movement and waved. “Yeah, she’s right here actually,” he said, smiling at me. “Hold on… Lana wants to talk to you.”

“Hello?” I asked, taking the phone.

Happy Birthday Melissa!

“Thanks Lana,” I said, smiling.

How are you doing?” she asked.

“Oh, I’m fine. The baby’s fine. I actually just had an ultrasound last week and the doctor said everything is normal.”

That’s good. When are you going to find out what it is?"

“In a few weeks!” I said excitedly. She squealed.

That’s so exciting! Of course I’m going to want it to be a surprise.

“Geez, is anyone going to want to know what I’m having?” I asked, throwing my other hand into the air.

“I do.” Nick said.

“Oh good, Nick does. I’ll be able to share my excitement with someone.” I said, smiling at him and he laughed. “So when are you done with school?”

A month and a half. Thank goodness.

“Are you a senior?”

No a junior. Why?

“Well… Joe and I had an idea but I’m not sure if it will work. I could have sworn you were a senior.”

What is it?” she asked curiously.

“Well it’s totally up to your parents. We were wondering if you would like to join us out here in California… for your senior year now I guess. Not only will you be able to check out tons of different colleges but you’d be a great help when the baby is born. Plus, while I’m away from work, I’ll talk to Mr. Herrmann about letting you have an internship in my position.” I said. Nick looked at me, his mouth hanging open. Joe and I hadn’t discussed this thought with anyone other than Kevin and Lauren.

Are you serious?” Lana asked quietly.

“Dead serious.” I said.

Let me get my Mom.

Hello?

“Hi Mrs. Mitchell. This is Melissa Douglas. I was wondering if you and your husband would allow for Lana to live with Joe, Kevin, Lauren and I for her senior year of high school. She’ll live with us, I can find her a job, she’ll be able to look at colleges, and we’ll even buy her a car and any other necessities if you would prefer for her to fly out here.”

Well, I don’t know. Let me discuss this with my husband and Lana. She’ll be back on to tell you our decision.

“Thank you.” I said.

“So?” Nick asked eagerly, his legs bouncing up and down.

“She and her parents are talking it over.”

“Hey, no sub-groups.” Joe said, walking in and sitting next to me on the couch, his arm wrapping around my waist.

“Shut up Joe. Something very important is happening.” Nick said.

“Whoa, what’s got his knickers tied in a knot?” Joe asked.

“I’m waiting for Lana to come back to the phone.” I said, gesturing to my ear.

“Oh, you asked her?”

“Yeah, her parents are talking to her.”

Mel?

“Oh, hi, yeah, I’m here.” I said into the phone. I looked at Nick and he was biting his lip.

They said yes!” she shouted so loud that I had to pull the phone away from my ear and Nick was able to hear.

“Yes!” he exclaimed, jumping up and pumping his fist in the air. Joe kissed the side of my head and I pulled the phone back.

“Lana that’s great! When can you come out here?” I asked.

A week after school gets out. They’re going to let me drive out there.

“Wonderful. Just be careful driving, it’s a long trip.”

I know, I know. Thank you so much. Thank the others for me too. Can I talk to Nick?

“You’re welcome, I will, and yes. Here he is.” I said, holding the phone out to Nick.

“This. Is. Awesome!” he exclaimed into the phone, walking out of the living room.

“This is going to be a big help.” Joe said, pulling me into him.

“I know, I’m excited.” I said, reaching up to kiss him.

****

First Lamaze Session
Late May 2010


“Joe, hurry up they’ll be here soon.” I said, bringing a tray of water glasses into the living room.

“Coming!” he called down the stairs. The doorbell rang just as I sat down. I groaned and was about to get up.

“I got it!” Lauren exclaimed, dashing down the stairs. “Hi Denise, Mrs. D. Mel’s in the living room.”

“Hi honey,” Denise said, setting something on the coffee table and sitting next to me. Mom sat on my other side and I gave her a kiss.

“How are you today sweetheart?” Mom asked.

“Good, I can’t believe how big I am. I’m only 16 weeks pregnant.”

“Believe me when I say this is nothing.”

“Don’t worry, I do.”

“Hey, I like those last two words.” Joe said with a smirk as he came in and kissed our mothers.

“Soon Joseph.” I said with a laugh. “So Lamaze coaches, what do you have for us?”

Denise stood up and picked up whatever she brought and walked to the TV. Joe replaced her empty spot with his body and draped an arm across my shoulders, grabbing a glass of water for me and one for my Mom.

“Today, we have a video.”

“Of…?” Joe asked warily.

“A natural birth.” Mom said.

“It’s not like, you giving birth to me or one of the others is it?” Joe asked, his face blanching in color.

“No Joseph,” Denise said, shaking her head as she put the disc in the DVD player. “This is a video like they show in normal Lamaze classes.”

She pushed play and the video started. A woman, in her late twenties, was in labor with her first child. Her eyes were scrunched in pain and she was trying to breathe normally. A doctor and a few nurses were swarming around her, in their delivery gowns, getting into position. The doctor sat in front of her, all gloved up and ready while her poor husband stood by her side looking excited and ready to puke at the same time. She kept a firm grip on his hand while she breathed in and out. The video soon switched to the doctors point of view.

“Oh my God!” Joe and I exclaimed at the same time. Thank God neither of us has to see that when it really happens. Seeing it once… in a video… is enough for me. However, once the baby was out we both gasped in amazement. The mother and father in the video were crying and laughing and Joe squeezed my shoulders. Denise stopped the video and she and Mom both looked at us.

“So?” Mom asked.

“That was disgusting and amazing at the same time.” Joe said.

“I’m glad I’ll be on the other end of the spectrum.” I said. “Though, I hope I’m not in as much pain.”

“All births are different.” Denise said. “For instance, Kevin was terrible. I was in so much pain but I did not want the epidural. Joseph and Nicholas were very easy and fast. Frankie however, caused almost as much pain as Kevin.”

“Thanks Mom for all that… lovely… information.” Joe said, taking a big gulp of water. Denise and Mom laughed and got ready to leave.

“Next time we’ll teach you some breathing techniques. Same time next week right?” Mom said.

“Right. And I’ll stop by the house tomorrow to pick up those design templates.” I said.

“Design templates?” Joe asked.

“For the baby’s room. Different templates depending on the sex. They’re just to give me an idea.”

“Oh, okay. Thanks Mom, Marie.” Joe said, walking them to their cars. I waved from the doorway.

****

The next day I arrived at my parents’ house and rang the doorbell. Madonna Louise, the maid, answered with a smile on her face.

“Hello Madonna Louise,” I said, smiling at her.

“Hello Miss Douglas, come in. May I take your coat?” she asked.

“Thank you,” I said, handing it to her. “Are my parents here?”

“Your mother called and said she’ll be a little late. Your father has been in his study all day.”

“I’m going to go and see him. Let me know when Mom gets back?”

“Of course Miss Douglas.” She said with a smile, walking away to hang up my coat. I walked to Dad’s study and knocked on his door.

“Dad?” I called. “Dad, it’s me.” After a few minutes I decided to just open the door, “Daddy!”

****

Joe’s POV
Hollywood Records


“Alright guys, let’s do that one more time.” John Fields, our producer said. Kevin, Nick, and I were in the recording booth, recording vocals for a new song. John started the song up again and Nick started on the first verse when my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I pulled it out to see who it was and it was Melissa.

“John, cut. Sorry, it’s Lyss.” I said, holding up my phone. He stopped the music.

“Go ahead.”

“Hello?”

Joe, get to the hospital now.

“Lyss? What’s wrong?!” I asked, panicking. What if something’s wrong with the baby?

Just hurry, bring your brothers. Call your parents, and Lauren. I don’t have time to explain.

“Alright! We’ll be right there. I love you.” I said, hanging up my phone. “Guys we have to go.” I said, rushing out of the booth. I walked around the room grabbing my hat, sunglasses, keys, patting my pockets to make sure I had my wallet.

“Joe, what’s going on?” Nick asked.

“Is Melissa okay?” Kevin asked.

“Call Lauren, we have to get to the hospital. Nick, call Mom and Dad. Rob!”

“Right here,” he said.

“Let’s go!” I said, rushing past them to the door. As soon as I opened it a few paparazzi were there waiting but I dashed past them to the car. Rob unlocked it from behind me and I climbed in, waving my arm for my brothers to hurry. They both had their phones to their ears talking rapidly and climbed in. Rob started the car and we drove off. Please God, let her be okay.

****

“Come on Joseph,” I muttered, my ears on red alert for his footsteps in the hospital hallway. Mom was somewhere talking to the doctor’s no one else was here yet and I was scared. So scared…

“I’m looking for my wife!” I heard a familiar voice say. “Melissa Jonas.”

“Joe!” I called down the hallway. I heard fast footsteps.

“Lyss?” he called out. He turned the corner and skidded to a stop. “Oh my God, you’re okay!” he exclaimed rushing over to me and hugging me.

“Yes of course I am. I’m sorry I freaked you out and didn’t explain.” I said, fresh tears pouring down my face and onto his shirt. I saw Kevin, Nick, and Rob over his shoulder and let go to hug them.

“Mel, what’s going on?” Nick asked as we all sat down.

“I went to my parent’s house to get something from Mom but she wasn’t there yet so I went over to Dad’s study to talk to him. I knocked a few times but he didn’t answer so I opened the door and saw him lying on the floor. He had a heart attack. A real heart attack this time. Mom’s still talking to the doctors, I haven’t seen him since the ambulance took him away. I don’t know what’s going on.” I sobbed, wiping at my tears while Joe cradled me into his chest. “I’m so scared.” I whispered.

“Sh, it’s okay. Your Dad’s going to be fine. He’ll pull through this,” Joe said, stroking my hair.

“How do you know?” I asked.

“I just do.”

“Where’s the rest of your family?”

“On their way.” Nick said.

“And Lauren?”

“I’m here!” she called, rushing down the hallway. I stood up and she ran into my arms and I cried on her shoulder. “Honey, it’s okay. I’m here,” she said, rubbing her arms up and down my back, rocking us back and forth.

“Oh, you’re all here.” Mom said, walking over, tear stains on her face. Joe stood up and hugged her and just then the rest of the Jonas’ came around the corner. “My goodness, Melissa you’re alright. So, if it’s not you, what’s… oh no. Marie, how is he?”

“Clark’s conscious. It was definitely a heart attack. He’s having tests done, and he may need emergency bypass surgery.” She said with a sigh, sitting down. We all sat down in silence, waiting for any news.

“Mm, Mom,” I said, nodding my head towards the doctor.

“Hello everyone, are you all family?”

“I am,” Mom and I both said.

“And the rest of you?”

“Soon to be family.” Kevin Sr. said.

“Fine, so, the blockage is worse than we hoped. I think the best course of action, really the only course of action, is to do an emergency bypass surgery.”

“Open heart surgery?” I asked, Joe standing beside me, his arm around my waist.

“Let him finish Melissa,” Mom said, waving her arm back at me.

“We’d like to do the surgery as soon as possible so now would be the time if you’d like to visit with him?”

“Yes,” I said automatically. “Yeah, we’d like to see him.”

“I think only a few of you will be best.”

“Melissa, Joseph,” Mom said. Everyone else nodded and sat down.

“If you’ll follow me please,” the doctor said, turning to walk down the hallway. Joe laced his fingers with mine. “Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.”

“Are you going to be the one performing the surgery?” Mom asked as we turned a corner.

“Yes, along with a team. I’ll be the chief surgeon.”

“Where did you go to school?”

“I’m sorry?” he asked, turning to look at her.

“You did attend school didn’t you?”

“Mom,” I said with a sigh.

“No it’s okay,” he said. “I got my B.A. at Yale, went to medical school at Harvard, did my residency at Columbia Presbyterian before I moved here to California and became chief of cardio thoracic surgery here.”

“See?” Mom asked, looking at me.

“See what?” I asked, looking at Joe. He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders.

“Here we are. I’ll let you visit. A nurse should be by shortly to begin prepping Clark for surgery.”

“Thank you doctor.” Mom said.

Mom went in the room and Joe started to follow her but I stopped in my tracks. He turned to look at me.

“Are you coming?” he asked.

“I just… give me a second?” I asked. He nodded his head and followed Mom. I stood outside the room for a second, fighting back tears and took a deep breath. I nodded my head and stepped inside the room.

Mom was talking to Dad about the doctor’s school history. I set my stuff on the bed.

“Melissa, I’m sorry I gave you such a scare earlier.” He said.

“Oh Daddy, it’s fine. How are you feeling?”

“Well, I’d rather be in Philadelphia.” He said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Ha, Ronald Reagan.” Joe said. I stared at him. “What?”

“Quoting W.C. Fields.” Dad said, turning to him.

“Oh, I didn’t know that.”

“Who else is here?” Dad asked.

“Everyone,” I said.

“Everyone?” he asked.

“My parents, brothers, Lauren, Rob… I’m sure Logan and Mr. and Mrs. H will get here soon.” Joe answered. “Do you want some water Clark?”

“Oh Joseph let the nurses do that.” Mom said.

“No, really it’s okay. I’ll be right back.” He said, taking the pitcher and going to fill it.

I smiled at him as he walked out and went to stand closer to Dad. While Mom was bustling about the room, trying to find things that were wrong with it I put my hands on the rails of the bed and watched her. I felt something warm touch my hand and looked down to see Dad had placed his hand on mine. A tear drop fell down my face onto his hand.

“Don’t cry for me,” he whispered.

“I don’t want you to die Daddy,” I whispered back, more tears escaping.

“I’m not going to die.” He said quietly.

“Do you promise?”

“I promise.” He said simply, placing his other hand on mine as well.

****

While Dad was in surgery Mom was rushing around making calls and cancelling appointments while I was sitting there worried out of my mind. How can she be thinking of these kinds of things right now? I thought. I got frustrated and got up and went to look in the gift shop. Not long after arriving there did she find me.

“There you are. I’ve been looking for you everywhere. I’ve just got these faxed.”

“Mom please can we drop this?”

“I need your social security number.”

“I don’t want to give you my social security number right now. Why don’t you help me pick out a little gift for Dad?” I asked, turning to the shelves.

“What do you think I’m trying to do? Run a con, steal your identity?” she snapped.

“No, Mom. I’ve just had enough talking about social security’s and wills okay?”

“Your father’s lawyer faxed these over from the bank and I need your social security number.”

“You have got to be kidding me.” I said, throwing my hands in the air.

“What would I be kidding about?”

“You’re acting like Dad is dead.” I said, frustrated. “Dad is not dead.”

“Melissa, one year ago when your father was in the hospital we were completely unprepared and we agreed to never let that happen again so we made a plan. I am simply following through on the plan.” She said, starting to tear up.

“So the plan was to call that restaurant and make sure you don’t lose your special table and to order tons of swordfish and salmon to keep your skin glowing and to happily discuss with Dad’s lawyer whether or not Dad should be resuscitated?”

“These are things that need to be dealt with.”

“No, what has to be dealt with is that Dad could be dying. What you’re dealing with is phone calls and a check list. You’re not his secretary Mom, you’re his wife.”

“Yes, I’m his wife. When he loses his reading glasses, I find them. When he wants a nightcap, I make it for him. If he can’t remember the name of a colleague’s wife, I whisper it in his ear. That’s what I do. I take care of him. That’s my job. That’s what I am. And if I could be performing this surgery right now I would be but I can’t. It’s out of my hands. It’s out of my hands and there’s nothing I can do but wait!” she said sobbing now. “I could lose him Melissa. He’s my whole life. And there’s nothing I can do.”

“Oh, Mom,” I said, a few tears slipping down my face yet again.

“I’m sorry, this is inappropriate.” She said.

“No,” I said, reaching over to a shelf and opening a pack of tissues. “It’s fine.”

“Oh God, I’m a mess,” she said as I handed her a tissue. “Did you just take those?”

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll pay for it later.” I said. We calmed ourselves down and went to go sit and wait. Of course I got restless again so Joe and I went for a walk.

“Hey, you okay?” he asked while we were taking the elevator upstairs.

“I’m okay. I’m just worried.” I said, stepping towards the doors when we got to the right floor.

“Where are you taking me anyway?” Joe asked, taking my hand in his.

“You’ll see,” I said as I followed the signs. We heard babies crying in the distance.

“You clever girl,” he said. I smiled as we walked towards the nursery. “Wow, look at them all.”

“Aw, they’re so adorable.” I said, looking at each and every baby in the room in front of me. Joe stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my growing stomach. It was official, I was showing quite fairly now.

“Ours will be even more adorable.” He said, resting his chin on my shoulder.

“Well aren’t you the optimistic one.”

“Come on, don’t tell me you weren’t thinking it too.”

“You’re right, I was.” I admitted with a laugh. “Hey, remember one year ago, the last time my father was in this hospital, this is exactly where you and I wound up?”

“Oh yeah…” he said, smiling at the memory. “I wonder how little Hayley is doing.” I laughed.

“Hm, she’s probably wondering what happened to that handsome guy that was smiling at her when she was teeny tiny.” I joked.

“You know… the next time we’re here… one of those things will have our baby in it." He said, pointing into the nursery. I smiled and leaned into him. Just then my phone rang.

“Hello?”

Melissa, he’s out of surgery.

“Really Mom? That’s great. Can we see him?” I asked. Joe looked at me expectantly.

Right now they’re only letting me in to see him. He’ll be here for a few days. You two should go home. Get some rest sweetheart. You can come back tomorrow and see him.

“Okay. Tell Dad ’hi’ from us.”

I will. I’ll see you tomorrow.

“Bye Mom.”

“So?” Joe asked.

“He’s out of surgery. He’s going to be alright. He needs to stay for a few days and they’re only letting Mom see him for now. She said we should go home and we can come back tomorrow. He’s going to be alright.” I said, breaking down crying again. Joe pulled me into him and rubbed my back consolingly.

“I told you. Everything’s going to turn out fine.” He said. “Come on, let’s go home.” He said, leading me towards the elevators and down to meet his family and Lauren to go home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow....... powerful, eh?

So... I used Gilmore dialogue in here! It basically went from when the doctor led Marie, Mel, and Joe to Clark's room. It's from Season 7 when Richard (Clark) has a heartattack and and the doctor brings Emily (Marie), Lorelai (Mel), and Rory (Joe... haha) to see him.... and ends with Mel and Marie leaving the gift shop where Emily (Marie) and Lorelai (Mel) have that same heart wrenching chat. Doesn't it make you want to cry? Oh and the maid's name, Madonna Louise, was one maid I wouldn't have minded if Emily kept.

Um...... what did you think of the Lamaze session? Do you think everythign really is going to turn out fine?

Once again:

Will the baby be a BOY?

or

Will the baby be a GIRL?

So far we have:
Boy: 2 votes
Girl: 1 vote

Leave me comments and let me know!!! I want to get this tally as high as I can and I have over 30 subscribers so PLEASE comment!

C/R/S

~Steph <3

P.S. Don't forget to vote for the Jonas Fanfiction Awards '09. I nominated myself last week but so far haven't been entered into the categories but we'll see what happens!