Worth Waiting For

A New Favorite

“Fingernails!”

“Wha-? What’s going on?” I mumbled, sitting up in bed and rubbing my eyes. I turned and looked at Joe who was sitting with his back against the headboard, the table lamp on, and a book in his hands. He turned and smiled at me, the light sending a glare off of his glasses, lifting the book to show me a page.

“Lyss, the baby is growing fingernails now.” He said excitedly.

“Joe, honey, what time is it?” I asked.

“4:30,” he said, turning his attention back to the book and going to the next page.

“In the morning?” I asked, shaking my head in disbelief.

“I couldn’t sleep.” He said, shrugging his shoulders, leaning over and kissing the side of my head.

“Honey, I know you’re excited about the baby and you want to learn everything you can but… we need sleep.” I said, putting my hand on his knee.

“I know but it’s just… we’re going to have a baby Lyss. I’m going to be a father.” He said, running his fingers through his hair. “There’s this living thing growing inside of you and we created it and it’s just… wow. I’m really, really happy.”

“Aw, Joe,” I said, leaning into his warmth. “I know it’s overwhelming, I think it’s finally settling in for me too. We’re going to have so much responsibility.”

“But think of all the fun we’ll have too. It’s going to be a whirlwind.” He said.

“A real roller coaster,” I agreed, nodding my head.

“Sorry I woke you up. Try to go back to sleep.” He said, giving me a kiss and climbing out of bed.

“What about you?”

“Babe, if I couldn’t get to sleep before, I won’t be able to now. I’m going to go downstairs… watch some early TV… heck, I’ll make breakfast.”

“Just don’t burn the house down,” I said rolling over and burying my face in my pillow.

“Ha-ha, very funny.” He said sarcastically. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” I said, closing my eyes with a smile on my face.

****

“Something smells good,” I said, yawning as I walked into the kitchen around 7 o’clock that same morning.

“Why thank you.” Joe said, walking around the island to give me a kiss. “Morning,”

“And the sun is actually up this time.” I joked, grabbing the orange juice out of the fridge.

“What?” Kevin asked.

“Nothing, your brother just couldn’t sleep last night and had the need to wake me up at 4:30.”

“Hence the breakfast...” Kevin noted.

“Right,” I said. “So Iron Chef, what’s on the menu?”

“Well my dear lady, this morning for you I have an omelet with peppers, onions, cheddar cheese, and ham, along with some home fries and two slices of wheat toast.”

“Are you trying to make me fatter than I’m already going to get?” I exclaimed. Joe stared at me, a piece of toast in his hand hovering over my plate.

“Sorry…?” he said slowly. I sighed and put my head in my hands.

“Joe… I don’t know what that was. It must be hormones. But seriously, I’m going to get fat with this baby.”

“Honey, you’re not going to get fat. You’re just going to grow and then once the baby is out you’ll be back to your adorable little Melissa self.” He said, walking over and draping his arms over my shoulders, kissing my cheek.

“Thank you honey,” I said in a sweet voice. “That was a wonderful bullshitted thought you just shared.”

“Hey now! I didn’t bullshit anything.” He said pouting.

“Sure you didn’t.” I said, turning in my seat and patting his cheek. He rolled his eyes and gave a kiss and then got his breakfast.

“After today though, we should start shopping better… more nutritious stuff… I read it’s better for baby and for you.”

“Okay Mom.” I said sarcastically, savoring a bite of my omelet.

"Wait a second…” he said, looking up from his plate. “Aspirin instead of almonds? Mom already placed in the order for the almonds!”

“Whoa, Joe, that’s the longest it’s ever taken. It’s been like… a week and a half.” Kevin said, staring at his brother.

“Seriously though!”

“Joe, we’re sticking with the almonds. Lauren was just being stupid.” I said, turning to glare at her. She was laughing so hard she almost fell out of her seat.

“Oh, I have to try that more often!” she shouted, still laughing. Joe rolled his eyes and turned back to his breakfast, glancing up at me and winking.

****

“Really?” I asked excitedly. “Mom that would be perfect. Can you book it? Reverend Stone already put us in? Aw, I’ll have to thank him. Wow… okay, yeah I’ll tell Lauren… Did you call Denise? Okay, thanks Mom. Bye… Hey, Laur.”

“Yeah?” she asked from her cubicle.

“So, is July 16 okay for you?” I asked. She stood up and peered at me over the divider.

“What are you talking about?”

“For the wedding.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes.”

“Dude, that’s like… three months away!”

“Yeah and by then I’ll be like… five months pregnant. The perfect time to get married… and the church is already kind of booked.”

“Sorry?” she asked.

“Well, I was just talking to Mom. She was talking to Reverend Stone and he was so happy for us that he wanted to marry us as soon as possible and July 16 was the first available date where nothing was booked at the church.”

“That’s so cool! Who’s telling the boys?”

“Denise will. Mom said…-”

“No, sir you can’t go back there.” Logan?

“I have to deliver these!” an unknown voice said.

“What the hell?” Lauren asked.

We exchanged a look and I stood up and we looked over the walls of my cubicle. Other people in the office were doing the same, searching for the source of commotion. Finally I spotted Logan near the front, blocking someone from going any further.

“I said no! Not until you tell me where these are from.” Logan said loudly.

“Oh geez,” I said, sighing. “Come on…” Lauren and I walked over and I tapped Logan on the shoulder.

“Logan, what’s going on?”

“This guy is trying to bring these to you and he refuses to tell me where they’re from.” He said, gesturing to the large bouquet of roses in the man’s hands. “I can’t let him go to you, it could potentially be dangerous.”

“Logan, there’s a card. What if they’re from Joe?” Lauren asked.

“No, he and Kevin told me that they would inform me if they ever tried to deliver something so there wouldn’t be an issue.”

“Okay…” I said slowly. “Sir, can you please just tell me who these flowers are from?” I asked.

“I was told not to.” He said. “You have to read the card. I promise these flowers are safe.”

“Logan…” I whined, pouting at him. He sighed and rubbed his temples.

“Fine… but if something happens… don’t blame me.”

“Thank you,” I said smiling and taking the bouquet. Lauren took the flowers from me and I grabbed the card. “Well hello Mrs. Jonas,” I read aloud, “I thought these flowers would be a nice addition to your office space. A little congrats to you and Joe on your elopement and baby to come. The best of luck, Perez Hilton”

“Aw, cool. Perez sent you flowers.” Lauren said, setting them on my desk.

“Yeah… cool.” I said, thinking.

****

“We’re home!” I called out as Lauren and I walked inside. Logan walked in behind me with the flowers.

“Where do you want these Mel?” he asked.

“The dining room table I guess.” I said, slipping my shoes off.

“Hey ladies, Logan,” Joe said, walking in from the living room.

“Joe,” Logan said, nodding at him and walking into the dining room.

“What are those?” Joe asked.

“Well Joseph, those are called flowers and they start out as tiny little seeds and with a little sunlight and some water they…-”

“Lauren shut up.” Joe and I said at the same time.

“Kevin! They’re being mean to me!” she shouted. The basement door opened and closed and Kevin walked over with a confused look on his face.

“Why are they being mean?” he asked, wrapping his arms around her and giving her a kiss. She pouted and looked at us.

“She’s being annoying.” Joe said.

“Lauren? Annoying? Never.” Kevin said sarcastically. She smacked the back of his head. “Ow,” he said, rubbing where she hit.

“I just asked a simple question and she gives me a smartass answer.”

“It’s true.” I said, shrugging my shoulders and nodding my head.

“I am not a smartass.” Lauren said, hands on hips. The three of us stared at her… “Okay… maybe I am. But hey, he led himself right to it.”

“Okay I’ll admit it, I did. I just want to know where they’re from.” Joe said.

“Where what are from?” Kevin asked, still clearly confused.

“The flowers.” Joe answered.

“You guys got flowers?” Kevin asked, walking into the dining room. Logan was in the kitchen getting a glass of water.

“Correction, Melissa got flowers.” Lauren said, wrapping her arms around Kevin’s waist.

“And they aren’t from me.” Joe said, narrowing his eyes.

“Joe chill. They’re from Perez, for you and me.”

“Hilton?” he asked.

“Yeah. A congratulations to us on the elopement and the baby.”

“Cool,” he said.

"Yeah… sure… cool.” Logan said, joining us. “The delivery guy was a pain in the ass. He wouldn’t tell me who they were from.”

“And you let them get to Lyss?” Joe asked.

“Hey, it was all her you can’t blame me for anything. She’s stubborn when she wants to be.” He said.

“It’s true. I begged Logan to let me have them. I was curious.” I admitted sheepishly.

“Well, stop being curious. Didn’t you hear it’s what killed the cat?”

“You’re such a dork.” I said.

“Yeah but you love me.” He said, giving me a kiss.

“Nah,” I said, shaking my head. He rolled his eyes.

“I think we should send Perez a video don’t you?”

“That would be cool.”

“Well, we’d send a video too, but Kevin and I didn’t get flowers.” Lauren said, crossing her arms across her chest.

“Ha-ha! Perez likes us better!” I said, sticking my tongue out at her.

“If you weren’t pregnant I’d totally kick your ass right now.” She said, narrowing her eyes at me.

“Uh-oh. Lauren’s jealous. We better go make this video while we can.” I said, grabbing Joe’s hands and leading him to the stairs.

“That’s right you better run!” Lauren shouted after us.

“Make food!” I shouted back down.

“Fine! But if yours is burnt don’t blame me!”

“Make some for Logan too!” I responded.

“Oh, no really it’s okay.”

“Shut up Logan.” The four of us said.

“Geez, alright, alright… I’ll stay for dinner.” He said. Joe and I laughed and went up into our room.

He grabbed his camera from the closet and turned it on, setting it on the dresser. I sat on the bed that was across from it and he hit record and sat next to me.

“Hey Perez,” I said, smiling at the camera and waving. “Joe and I just want to thank you so much for the flowers you sent to my office today. They’re beautiful.”

“Yeah, thanks a lot. So… exclusive for you, you will be the first people outside of friends, family, and coworkers to see the baby.” Joe said. I stood up and lifted my shirt, showing my small pooch of a stomach. “So, she hasn’t grown much but there’s definitely a baby in there.” He said, placing his hand on my stomach.

“Thanks again, we hope to hear from you soon.” I said.

“Bye!” Joe and I said at the same time and he stood up and turned the camera off.

“I’ll upload this now.” He said, grabbing his laptop.

“I’m going to change into something more comfortable.” I said, walking into the closet.

“So how was work besides the whole delivery scenario?”

“It was fine. Mom called.”

“My Mom called me too actually. Well, me and Kevin.”

“About the wedding I hope?”

“Yeah. So, July 16?” he asked. I walked back out and kneeled behind him on the bed, massaging his shoulders.

“Yeah… are you excited?”

“Very. I just wish it would hurry up.”

“Same with this pregnancy.” I said.

“Hey, it’s not too bad.” He said, turning to face me. “At least your morning sickness is gone.”

“Yippee. All I have to look forward to now is the mood swings, crazy cravings, a huge stomach, and swollen ankles!” I said sarcastically.

“But it will all be worth it in the end.” He said, standing up and holding his hands out for me to grab onto. He lifted me into his arms and twirled me around.

“That may be very true.” I said as he set me down. I reached up and kissed him.

****

“Lauren! Are you ready yet?” I shouted up the stairs the next morning.

“Two more minutes!”

“You said that five minutes ago!” Joe said, standing impatiently next to me.

“Oh chill out Joseph.” She said, walking down the stairs while trying to put her shoes on. She almost fell but caught herself. “Stairs then shoes… stairs… then shoes.”

Joe, Logan, Laur and I are going shopping for maternity clothes. It was just supposed to be Logan, Joe, and I but Lauren begged to come along because she didn’t want to stay at home alone while Kevin was at the studio with Nick. They were going to record some guitar alone.

“Lauren, what do you think of this one?” I asked, holding a shirt up to my torso.

“I don’t know. Try it on. Along with this, this, this, this, this, and…. This.” She said piling stuff in my arms.

“Fine. Joe, how you doing?” I asked as I passed him and Logan looking through a catalog with baby stuff.

“This is going to be expensive.” He said, shaking his head. Logan was nodding his head in agreement

“What’s going to be expensive honey?”

“This! The baby! Look at all this stuff we have to buy.” He said, shoving the catalog in my face.

“Joseph, just because it’s in the picture, doesn’t mean we have to own it.” I said. “Now, calm down and think rationally.”

“Okay, you’re right. Are you trying all that on?” he asked, noticing the pile in my arms.

“Mhm, courtesy of Lauren.” I said. He rolled his eyes and I went to change. I ended up buying about half of the stuff I tried on in that store then we left to walk through the mall to check out a few more stores.

****

Lauren’s POV

“And then, he pushes the guy into the pool and when he resurfaced, George said ’Next time… take the deviled eggs.’ And just walked away.” Logan said.

“That’s hilarious!” I said laughing, placing my hand on his shoulder so I wouldn’t fall over from laughter. We were walking to another store down the street behind Joe and Mel. “I can’t believe you went from body-guarding George Clooney to us,” I said, motioning ahead of me.

“I don’t mind. I’m much more relaxed with you guys.”

“I hope you don’t mean work wise.” I snorted.

“Well yeah, plus, I’m closer to you guys in age. That makes it less awkward.”

“I’ll bet, but seriously how can you be relaxed with us? We’re going to marry Jonas brothers. We’re going to be major targets… not like we aren’t already.”

“Trust me, it’ll be fine.” He said, placing his arm across my shoulders.

****

A couple days later, my closet and dressers were well equipped with new maternity clothes. Lauren and I were at the office and I was browsing maternity wedding dresses on line while I was eating lunch when my phone rang.

“Herrmann Publishing, Melissa Douglas speaking,” I answered.

Mel, we need to talk.”

“Kevin?” I asked.

Sh, I don’t want Lauren to hear you.”

“Chill, she went out to get her lunch. She won’t be back for at least ten minutes.” I said, taking a bite of my sandwich.

Okay good.” He sighed.

“So, what’s up?”

You would tell me if Lauren were doing something that she shouldn’t be right?

“Well… that depends I guess. Why?”

Okay, I’m going to just come right out and ask it. Is something going on with her and Logan?

“What? Kevin no. That’s ridiculous! Why would you think that?”

Have you seen any celebrity news this morning?

“No, none.”

Go check out Perez.” He said simply.

“Okay, hold on.” I went to Perez’s site and scrolled until I found out something that Kevin could be talking about. “Oh boy,”

Yeah.

Image
Fiancé Flub

While shopping for maternity clothes for her best friend, Melissa (Douglas) Jonas, Lauren Patterson was seen looking buddy-buddy with their new body-guard. While Joe and Melissa walked ahead hand-in-hand (how cute!), Lauren and the body-guard, who we have found to be named Logan were seen laughing and smiling at each other. These pictures look like some kind of spark is going on. So what do you think? Is she or isn’t she cheating on fiancé Kevin Jonas?

“Kevin, trust me honey, I could hear their conversation. Logan was telling Lauren a funny story from when he was George Clooney’s body-guard. These pictures were just taken at the wrong moments and twisted into something they aren’t.” I promised him.

Mel… you’re positive?

“Kevin, I wouldn’t lie to you. I know Lauren like the back of my hand. She is madly in love with you and would never hurt you. I promise.” He sighed.

Thank you Mel. Alright, I’ve got to go. See you later.

“Bye Kev.” I said, sighing as I hung up the phone.

****

Week 13
Late April 2010


“Hi Dr. Lockhart,” I said, smiling as she walked into the examination room. Joe was sitting faithfully next to me again, smiling widely.

“Hello. How are you doing?” she asked pulling some gloves on.

“We’re great.” I said placing my hand on my stomach. “All three of us.”

“Have you felt the baby move yet?” she asked.

“No not yet.”

“I didn’t think so. First time mothers don’t usually feel the baby until their 23rd week. The baby is definitely moving but you won’t recognize the movements. If you ever get pregnant again you would probably be able to feel it about this time.”

“Wow.”

“I can’t wait for that to start,” Joe said excitedly. Dr. Lockhart laughed as she set up the ultrasound machine.

“Alright, let’s take a look at your baby.” She said, smiling. “Wow, I don’t usually see this in ultrasounds though I’ve heard of it happening.”

“What? What’s wrong?” I asked, sitting up in a panic.

“Oh, no, no, I’m sorry. Nothing’s wrong I just got excited.” She explained, calming me down. “If you look here,” she said pointing, “you can see that your baby is sucking his or her thumb.”

“Really?” Joe asked astonished, his mouth forming an ’o’ shape and his eyes glazing over. “So, how is the baby?”

“He or she looks very well developed, right on track. Melissa, there is a blood test I can perform to test for any Neural Tube Defects. Would you like that?” she asked. Joe looked at me and shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s up to you babe,” he said, kissing my forehead. I looked at the screen and saw my baby move a little.

“No thank you. My baby’s fine. I can tell.” I said, touching my fingers to the screen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay everyone, so, I love all of my readers and my subscribers. You guys are awesome. But... I really NEED for all of you to comment. Comments are what keep me motivated. The more you guys comment, the more I write, the sooner I post new chapters! Please, please, please comment!

So, Kevin thought Lauren was cheating on him. She wouldn't do that would she? The baby seems to be developing just fine... So, I'm going to start asking now... I guess you guys will have to put your guesses in comments because I can poll the results :) So, here's the question.

Will the baby be a BOY?

or

Will the baby be a GIRL?

Comment/Rate/Subscribe

~Steph <3