Worth Waiting For

Surprises Around Every Corner

Late-June/Early-July 2010

“Joe, where are you taking me?” I asked. We had been in the car for twenty minutes and Lana was in the backseat.

“You’ll see,” Lana said.

“You know?” I asked, trying to twist around in my seat.

“Of course I know.” She said.

“You’ll find out in like five minutes.” Joe said. “Now, chill.”

“You cut me,” I said, sitting back in my seat and crossing my arms. Soon enough we pulled into the parking lot of what looked like a studio. “Joe… what?”

“Lyss, can you just let something be a surprise. Just this once?” he asked, parking the car and turning to face me. I stared at him menacingly and he stared right back.

“Fine,” I said. “Can we go in?”

“Yeah, let’s go,” he said, climbing out of the car and walking around it. We walked into the building into a studio with a lot of lights and props and wires.

“Honey…” I said slowly. “Why are we in a photography studio?” I asked turning to look at him. He was smiling at me and just kissed my forehead. I looked over his shoulder at Lana and she was pulling a camera out of a bag and putting it around her neck.

“I am going to photograph you and Joe.” She said.

“You’re what?” I asked laughing.

“Come on, go change into your first outfit. Lacey over there will help you and Joe and I will get the scene set up.”

“I can’t believe you guys set this up.” I said as Lacey led me away.

“It was Joe’s idea.” Lana said. I caught a glimpse of Joe’s smiling face before Lacey whisked me away into the dressing room. A few minutes later I walked out in a plaid top that was unbuttoned around my stomach and a pair of jeans and Lana was adding the finishing touches to an outdoor scene. After a couple of shoots of me alone she added Joe in.

“This is fun,” Joe whispered while Lana snapped some photos.

“Yeah. Imagine what it will be like once the baby is here.” I said. He didn’t say anything, just pulled me closer to him and kissed the side of my head.

“Alright. Next outfit Mel.” Lana said. I walked to the dressing room and Lacey already had my next outfit laid out; a black sweater and nice pants. For this outfit Lana just wanted pictures of me. The third and final outfit was all white. When I walked out in that, Joe was matching me in a white shirt and khaki pants.

“What do you want us to do Lana?” I asked when she had Joe join me. She stood, tapping her chin with her finger.

“Joe, stand behind Melissa and wrap your arms around her, placing your hands on her stomach. Now, rest your chin on her shoulder and look down at her stomach. Mel, place your hands on top of Joe’s but, look at him.”

We stood in that pose, Joe’s breath tickling my skin. I smiled down at him, his brown eyes gazing down at my stomach. My hands were on top of his, his thumbs and forefingers were placed so that they were in the shape of a heart. I started to get teary eyed. Lana slowly looked up from her camera and smiled at us. Her eyes were glassy.

“That’s perfect. We’re all done here,” she said quietly.

“Go change,” Joe whispered. “Then, it’s time for the second part of the afternoon.”

After changing I walked back out to see Joe standing with his hands in his pockets. He was all alone. I searched around for Lana but didn’t see her.

“Where’s Lana?” I asked, walking over to him.

“She and Nick left just before you got out here.” He said.

“Nick was here?”

“Yeah, now come on.” He said, taking my hand.

“Okay, while we’re walking, I have an idea.”

“Shoot,” he said, leading me out the door.

“I was thinking,” I said, climbing into the car. “Since we can’t really enjoy a honeymoon until after the baby is born… what would you say to still buying two tickets and… giving them to Nick and Lana?”

“I think that’s a great idea but what about her job at the company?”

“Well, I think I can talk Mr. Herrmann into giving her a special assignment. Documenting Kevin and Lauren’s honeymoon… if they agree to it that is. Which I’m sure they would… for the most part.” I said.

“Sure. We’ll talk to Kevin and Lauren about it later then?” he asked as we drove towards the beach.

“Yeah.” I said as he pulled up near the beach. “The beach?”

“Just… follow me.” He said, helping me out of the car. We walked onto the beach and he led me towards a woman who was sitting on a blanket, a basket beside her. “Marcy?”

“Joseph, Melissa, hello.” She said, standing up. “How are you today?”

“I’m… fine.” I said a bit flustered. “I’m sorry, who are you?”

“Marcy is someone that Mom found. She specializes in pregnancy painting.”

“Pregnancy painting?” I asked, as Joe helped me sit down.

“Marcy is going to paint a design that you will pick on your stomach and then I’m going to decorate it.” He said, sitting beside me.

After looking through pictures that Marcy had, I decided on this beautiful floral design. It looked pretty intricate but she had it painted on within ten minutes. While she was painting Joe was deciding on colors. He chose pink and blue.

“Since I don’t know the sex, it will be nice to involve both. Blue for a boy, pink for a girl.” He explained.

“But I thought green was the new pink.” I joked.

“Excuse me but our baby is not an alien.” He said defensively.

“For all we know it’s not.”

“Shut up,” he said, leaning over and kissing me.

“Add some purple in there though.”

“Why?” he asked as he started painting one of the petals blue.

“Because it’s my stomach and I like purple.”

“Fine,” he sighed. While he was painting my phone rang. I pulled it out and looked at the screen. Mom was flashing across.

“Hi Mom,” I said.

Your grandmother is coming.” She said, sounding panicked.

“What?” I asked.

Your grandmother is coming from London for the wedding.

“What are you talking about? Grandma died six years ago.”

No, this is your father’s mother.” She explained.

“I have another grandmother?”

Of course, Melissa. Where do you think your father came from?

“Well I knew he had a mother but I thought she died since you know, neither of you ever mentioned her or anything.”

Well, your father and Melissa don’t get along very well.

“Melissa?”

Yes, you were named after her.

“Oh, well that’s good to know.” I said rolling my eyes. Joe looked up at me questioningly and I held a finger up. “So when is she coming?”

Tomorrow. We’ll be expecting you for dinner. And when I say all of you I mean you, Lauren, Lana, and all of the Jonas’. 7 o’clock. Sharp.

“Of course, Mother. We’ll see you tomorrow.” I said hanging up the phone. “My grandmother is coming to the wedding. My grandmother who I’ve never met and never knew existed.”

“Well that’s… interesting.” Joe said, continuing to paint. “So, dinner tomorrow?”

“Yeah… we’ll all meet her.”

“Odd,” he said.

“Very… I wonder why she’s coming for the wedding but she didn’t come when Dad was sick.”

“I’m sure she has an excuse.

“For both times? They were a year apart.”

“I don’t know Lyss. Maybe we’ll find out tomorrow night.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

“Now hold still. This is very hard with you moving.”

“Sorry,” I said, smiling at him as he continued to paint.

****

“Oh thank God you’re here.”

“Hi, to you too Mom,” I said, looking at Joe before we stepped inside. He shrugged his shoulders and helped me take my coat off.

“Come in, come in. All of you. Your parents and brothers are here already.” She said to Joe and Kevin. “Now come on, she’s waiting.” She led us into the sitting room where I saw Kevin Sr., Denise, Nick, Frankie, my father, and an older woman with red hair whom I assumed to be my grandmother. “Mom, look who’s here.”

“Hi,” I said, waving at her.

“Is this my granddaughter?” she asked, looking up at me.

“Yes mother, this is Melissa.” Dad said.

“Mm, the name suits you well. And who are all these people?”

“Well um…”

“You can call me Gran,” she said, waiting for me to answer her question.

“Well Gran, this is my fiancé Joe Jonas.”

“Hello,” he said, walking forward to shake her hand. She simply stared at it and he stuffed it in his pocket and slowly and awkwardly backed up towards me.

“This is my best friend Lauren Patterson and her fiancé and Joe’s brother, Kevin Jonas. And this is our friend Lana Mitchell who is dating Nick whom I assume you have been introduced to already.”

She didn’t say anything. She just looked us all over. Her eyes finally settled on my hands resting on my stomach.

“How far along are you?”

“Four and a half months.” I answered with a smile. I couldn’t help but smile.

“Very well. Marie, I believe it is time for supper.” She said, standing up.

“Yes Mom. Into the dining room everyone.”

“Marie we are not cattle. You do not need to herd us towards the food.” Gran said, walking into the dining room. The rest of us, including my father, all turned to look at Mom.

“Five, four, three, two, one.” I whispered.

****

“So you guys are totally fine with the whole… Lana documenting your honeymoon thing?” I asked. The four of us were sitting around the kitchen table, discussing the honeymoon plans.

“Yeah. I think it will be fun,” Lauren said excitedly.

“And it will be a great opportunity for Lana.” Kevin said.

“So where have you guys decided? Jamaica or Antigua?” Joe asked.

“I think we’re going to go with Jamaica.” Lauren said, turning to smile at Kevin.

“Yeah, there’s so much to do.” He said.

“The Sandals resort right?” I asked.

“Yeah, it’s the perfect honeymoon spot and I think that…”

“Hey we’re back!” Lana called, closing the door.

“Hide the pamphlets!” Joe whispered.

“Hey guys,” Nick said walking into the kitchen hand-in-hand with Lana. “What’s going on?”
We all exchanged a look and looked back at him.

“Um well I’m going to take a nap.” I said, standing up.

“I think I’ll join you.” Joe said, standing up as well.

“I don’t want to hear anything!” Lauren called after us as we got to the stairs.

“I’m already knocked up, nothing bad can happen! Besides… we’re waiting until after we’re married for anymore!”

“Why not wait until after the baby?” Kevin asked.

“Because during the fifth and sixth months hormones start raging through the mothers’ body… Sexual hormones.” Joe said, wagging his eyebrows at me.

“Okay, ew.” Nick said.

“Let’s talk about sex, baby!” Lauren sang.

“Let’s talk about you and me!” I added.

“Guys! Stop! You’re going to be my sisters! It’s almost as bad as when I had to sit down with Mom and Dad and have the talk.” He said, covering his ears.

“Aw, little Nicky’s embarrassed!” Lauren said, standing up to pinch Nick’s cheeks.

“Save me please.” He begged Lana. She just stood there, her cheeks turning red from laughing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, so I think Chapter 9 here is just some extreme cuteness between Joe and Mel. So what's next in store? Well.... maybe it's the wedding. Or... maybe I'm just teasing you. Who knows? Oh wait... I do!

So... people... you're way behind on this polling for what you want the baby to be. I've been asking my Quizilla readers as well and last I checked they voted 45 times. I have had 4 readers here vote. Now... do you want to by-pass Quizilla readers in votes?? I think you do! So for all of you who haven't voted PLEASE DO! It will be interesting to see the results. So I'll do as I always do and post the question.

Will the baby be a BOY?

OR

Will the baby be a GIRL?

Don't forget to check out Jonas Fanfiction Awards '09. Jonasfan0213 is still adding stories to the list before she puts up the voting site so be on the look out and let me know if you see any of my stuff on there! I nominated myself awhile ago but she's been so busy so we'll see. If I'm not up there be sure to vote for my friend Kristine a.k.a. you make me crazier.. If you haven't read her stories... well... YOU SHOULD!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

C/R/S

~Steph <3