Worth Waiting For

Going to the Chapel

July 16, 2010
W-Day


“Okay so I don’t look obese?” Lauren asked for possibly the fourth time, staring at herself in the mirror.

“Hi, I’m the pregnant one. You look like a skeleton.” I said, sitting still while Mom’s hairdresser fixed a few of my curls.

“A beautiful, blushing skeleton.” Lana added.

“Whoa.” Lauren said all of a sudden, a blank stare crossing her face.

“What?” Mrs. Herrmann asked.

“All of a sudden the idea of marriage seems totally archaic and insane. Legally binding one woman with one man until they die? It’s… perverse! Why on earth do people do this? Why am I doing this?” she asked.

“Uh-oh. Freak-out.” Lana said.

“You love Kevin. Remember?” I asked.

“Oh, yeah. Kevin. Okay. Okay. Freak-out over!” she said laughing. Denise sighed in relief and smiled at Lauren. “I wonder if Kevin is freaking out.” She added.

“Kevin? Never.” I said. “Joe on the other hand…”

“Is just the same as his brother.” Denise reassured me, putting her hand on my shoulder. “You ladies look absolutely beautiful.”

“Thank you Denise. For everything.” I said, standing up to hug her; my protruding stomach getting in the way. Soon there was a knock on the door. Mom went to check it and opened it wide for my father.

“Five minutes until show time.” He said, stepping in with Mr. Herrmann.

“Hi Daddy,” I said, hugging him.

“Melissa you look… stunning. You are going to knock that boy off his feet.”

“Thank you Dad.”

“Hi Uncle Chris,” Lauren said, giving her uncle a kiss on the cheek. Mom, Denise and Mrs. H. left the room then. The boys were going to escort them in; Nick and Denise, Joe and Mom, and Kevin and Mrs. H. Just then Reverend Stone poked his head in the doorway.

“It’s time to start.” He said with a smile. I heard music playing as the boys walked in. We walked out of the dressing room, Lana in front of us. She made her way down the aisle gracefully. The song Pachabel’s Canon started to play and Lauren and Mr. H. made their way down. They would go all the way down first and meet Kevin, and then Dad and I would go.

I watched Kevin’s face as I (impatiently) waited for my turn to walk down that aisle. He had a permanent smile stuck on his face. His eyes were on Lauren and Lauren only and he was tapping his foot in anticipation. When they made their way up, Mr. H. transferred Lauren’s hand from his arm to Kevin’s hand and stepped back to wait for his moment to leave. Finally it was time for Dad and I to make our way down the aisle.

There he was; standing front and center. He looked so dashing in his suit. Like James Bond. Not Daniel Craig as James Bond… more like Sean Connery… except the whole British thing. He looked ready to puke and ready to run down the rest of the aisle to me at the same time but he held his ground; standing straight… nice and tall… keeping a smile plastered on his face. Our gazes didn’t leave each others. I didn’t turn my head to look at my mother or my grandmother when we passed them. I didn’t glance at Denise and Kevin Sr. or even Lauren or my brothers-in-law to be. I gazed at Joe. Only Joe. For a moment I forgot about my father until we stopped walking and he removed my hand from his arm.

I turned to look at him and he pulled me to him and I kissed him on the cheek. He led me closer to Joe and placed my hand in his… finally. The warmth and familiarity of it was so comforting. I watched my father and Joe look at each other for a moment. A silent and unmoving conversation and finally my father stepped backwards and Joe and I turned to Reverend Stone, Lauren and Kevin standing next to us. Reverend Stone nodded at my father and Mr. Herrmann and they turned to stand in their pews. His gaze was then lifted to our many guests.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here in the sight of God, and in the presence of these witnesses, to join together these men and these women in holy matrimony; which is an honorable estate, instituted of God. It is therefore, not to be entered into unadvisedly, but reverently, discreetly, and in the fear of God. Into this holy estate these four persons come now to be joined.

“Our Father, love has been Your richest and greatest gift to the world. Love between a man and woman which matures into marriage is one of Your most beautiful types of loves. Today we celebrate that love. May your blessing be on this wedding service. Protect, guide, and bless Kevin and Lauren and Joseph and Melissa in their marriages. Surround them and us with Your love, now and always. Amen.” He said. “You may be seated.” He said to the guests. He then nodded towards Kevin and Lauren. They were to say their vows first. We chose to use written vows… but different sets and we had them memorized so poor Reverend Stone wouldn’t have to repeat them.

“I, Kevin, take you, Lauren, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, ’til death do us part: according to God’s holy ordinance, and thereto I pledge you my love and faithfulness.” Kevin said, choking on his words a bit towards the end. I heard Lauren sniffle next to me and take a deep breath.

“I, Lauren, take you, Kevin, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, ’til death do us part: according to God’s holy ordinance, and thereto I pledge you my love and faithfulness.” She choked out. Reverend Stone nodded his head and smiled then turned to Joe and I. We turned our bodies to face each other and he took both my hands in his and smiled nervously, clearing his throat.

“I love you Melissa as I love no other. All that I am I share with you. I take you to be my wife through health and sickness, through plenty and want, through joy and sorrow, now and forever… and ever and a day.” He added at the end, causing my crying self to laugh. Our guests let out a slight chuckle as well then quieted down as it was now my turn to speak.

I removed my hands from Joe’s and grabbed his wrists, placing his hands on my stomach. He glanced down then back up at my face, a glistening tear seeping out of the corner of his eye and trailing down his cheek. I steadied my breath and wiped away a tear before opening my mouth.

“I love you Joseph as I love no other. All that I am I share with you. I take you to be my husband through health and sickness, through plenty and want, through joy and sorrow, now and forever.” I said, whispering the last word as another tear made its way down his face. The four of us then turned to Reverend Stone and I could hear women behind us sniffling, my mother, Mrs. Herrmann, and Denise only being a few. Reverend Stone then turned to Nick.

“May I have the rings?” he asked and Nick dug around in his pockets. Lauren and Kevin’s rings in his left, mine and Joe’s in his right and he handed them to Reverend Stone. “Let us pray.

“Bless, O Lord, the giving and receiving of these rings. May Kevin and Lauren and Joseph and Melissa abide in Thy peace and grow in their knowledge of Your presence through their loving union. May the seamless circle of these rings become the symbol of their endless love and serve to remind them of the holy covenant they have entered into today to be faithful, loving, and kind to each other. Dear God, may they live in Your grace and be forever true to this union. Amen.” He then turned to Kevin and Lauren and gave them their rings.

“Lauren, I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. With this ring, I thee wed.” he said, slipping the ring onto her finger.

“Kevin, I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. With this ring, I thee wed.” she said, I could tell she was crying. Reverend Stone then turned to Joe and I and gave us our rings.

“Melissa, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness to you.” Joe said, gently taking my left hand in his and slipping the cool ring on my finger. A tear slipped down my face and dropped onto my stomach, marking a small spot that would disappear within seconds.

“Joseph, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness to you.” I said, placing the ring on Joe’s finger. Once I had slid it completely down his finger, I felt a sharp pressure in my stomach and placed both hands on it in surprise, my mouth forming an “o” shape.

“Melissa?” Joe asked panicked, causing a murmur from all of our guests. He placed his hands on top of mine and looked at me under his dark eyelashes. “Baby what’s wrong?” he asked quietly.

“The baby just kicked,” I said, tears of joy now flowing down my face. “For the first time. Joe, our baby kicked!” our guests applauded loudly and he laughed boisterously and pulled me into him, placing his lips on mine.

“It is my pleasure to introduce to you for the first time Mr. and Mrs. Paul Kevin Jonas the second and Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Jonas. You may now kiss the brides or… continue kissing.” He said with a chuckle smiling at Joe and I.

****

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you my brothers Kevin and Joe and my new sisters-in-law, their wives Lauren and Melissa Jonas!” Nick shouted into the microphone, kicking off our reception as the song Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer played and we made our entrance. Everyone stood up to applaud us as we waltzed onto the floor and started to dance unofficially. We were having the time of our lives and the party was just starting. Once the song ended we took our seats at our special table for dinner to start. It seemed like every five minutes everyone rang their little bells that my mother and Denise so craftily ordered behind our backs meaning we had to kiss. That is Joe and I had to kiss while Lauren and Kevin kissed of course.

After dinner it was time for the best man and the maid of honor to give their speeches. Nick was up first and he stood in the middle of the dance floor looking up at us. He reached into his back pocket and pulled something out, opening it up.

“Well, I wrote something down to read but… now that I think about it… I have something better I want to say.” He said, clearing his throat as some people let out a laugh “This isn’t just a great day today because my brothers got married. No, it’s a great day because I gained two amazing sisters… and a niece or nephew in progress.” He said, smiling at Lauren and I. “Growing up with Kevin and Joe as my older brothers wasn’t easy, let me tell you. Though, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. No matter how annoying it may have been *cough* Joe *cough*.

“Kevin taught me that the best way to be a great friend was to have the ability to listen. When you take the time to listen to someone, the more you get to know and appreciate someone. Joe taught me that it’s okay to be a guy and treat girls like queens. He’s the one that taught me that chivalry isn’t dead. I guess we both learned it from Kevin really but Joe’s the one that developed it for me.

“Lauren and Melissa, you are lucky to call these two yours. You’ve made them the happiest I’ve ever seen them. I know how anxious Joe is to meet that little baby. How anxious we all are. I know Kevin will be a big help when needed and can’t wait for him and Lauren to be in Joe and Mel’s position. Don’t worry Laur, no rush. Well… that’s all I have to say I guess. Kevin, Lauren, Joe, and Melissa, I love you all. Congratulations!” he finished, raising his glass and taking a sip. Joe and Kevin each gave Nick a hug then Lauren did, kissing him on the cheek. When I hugged him, he wiped a tear from my eye I didn’t realize was there.

“That was beautiful Nick. Thank you.” I said, kissing him on the cheek.

“You’re welcome sis.” He said, winking at me and sitting back down. Lana was on the floor with the mic now.

“Well, as the maid-of honor, I’m supposed to make a speech now but… I can’t. I love you all but this doesn’t feel right. Lauren and Melissa, you two have a friendship I would love to have and I feel like you should give a speech for each other. You’ve probably waited for years for the other to get married so you could give a speech; thinking of anecdotes from years ago to talk about. So, I would like to give the mic to Lauren, so she can give a speech about Melissa and then they can switch. Lauren,” she said, holding the mic out. Lauren walked over and hugged Lana, whispering something to her and taking the mic.

“Wow, Lana, thank you. You didn’t have to do this but it means so much to Melissa and I that you have. Well, you were right about the whole anecdote thing because I have quite the story. Mel and I were… eight years old, in the second grade. It was about a week before Christmas and… it was going to be my first Christmas without… um… without my mother.

“I’m sure most of you know I never knew my father and my mother was very young, only sixteen when she had me. I was traumatized when she died in that car crash. I had been living with Aunt April and Uncle Christ for about six months by now and Mel was spending the night. We were in my room watching A Very Brady Christmas on TV and it was at a commercial. I turned to her and asked, Mel, do you believe in angels? She gave me the funniest look like I was crazy or something and said, Well… yeah. Do you?

“I thought about it and said, No. If angels were real, my Mom would be an angel but I don’t feel her watching over me. God probably didn’t love her enough to make her an angel. Then… I remember she sat up, pulling me with her and she held my hands and said, Lauren Catherine Patterson, God did make your Mom an angel. Just because you can’t see her, doesn’t mean she isn’t there. She’s in your heart and she is in heaven with God watching you. I didn’t believe her but I didn’t argue with her. There was no point. I went to bed that night with doubts in my head.

“The next morning when I woke up, Mel wasn’t in the room. I walked downstairs to find her but was distracted by a new ornament on the tree. I walked over to inspect it. Mel had taken a photo of my mother and cut her head out. She found some craft foam Aunt April had and glued her head onto a piece and cut it into a circle. Then she cut out a body and wings with two different colors, glued them all together, and turned my mother into an angel. I kept that ornament and put it on the tree every Christmas. The rest of the year, I tape it to my mirror so my Mom is always watching over me every day. Because of Mel, my first Christmas without my Mom, was one of the best. I’m glad that Mel and I can officially call each other ’sister’… technically. I love you sweetie. You’ll be a great wife for Joe and a wonderful mother to that baby. To Melissa and Joe!” she said, lifting her glass.

“Melissa and Joe!” everyone toasted and Joe and I kissed. He wiped the tears from my eyes as Lauren came over.

“That was a great story Lauren,” Joe said, kissing her on the cheek.

“Well, I felt it was the right story to tell.” She said, hugging me. “Your turn sweetie, make me proud.”

“Oh, I will,” I said, standing up and making my way to the floor. Dad walked out with a chair, setting it down next to me and kissing me on the cheek before sitting back down. “Well, I can’t believe Lauren picked that story.” I said, smiling at everyone. “Now, it’s my turn and I have a story too. Let’s see…

“Lauren and I were sixteen years old and my parents and I had just had our biggest fight yet. I told them that I didn’t want to go to business school… that I wanted to take photography classes. They told me that becoming a photographer wasn’t what I was supposed to do; it wasn’t good enough for me. I locked myself in my room and packed everything. Then, once I was sure they were asleep, I left. I wrote them a note saying I was leaving and needed my space. With each step I took away from that house, it became easier for me to breathe.” I said; tears in my eyes. I sat down and looked over at my parents who were both crying. Mom more than Dad.

“I walked all the way to Lauren’s house. It took about half an hour. When I got there, I reached for the spare key at the top of the door frame and let myself in. I’d done this once before and Mr. and Mrs. Herrmann hadn’t minded. I locked the door behind me and quietly tiptoed up to Lauren’s room. Her light was on so I lightly rapped on the door and soon she opened it. Mel, what are you doing here? She asked, pulling me in. I set my stuff down, sat on her bed, stared at her, and finally, I broke down crying. That was the hardest thing I had ever done in my life, leaving my parents house, but I did it. She and her aunt and uncle helped me through it. I entered photography classes, I got away from the debutante balls and the numerous DAR functions and I was able to have fun. Lauren and I became stars on the school newspaper. We became the youngest stars at Mr. Herrmann’s publishing company. We got the job where we met our husbands. All because my parents and I had a huge fight and she helped me through it.

“Mom and Dad, I’m so sorry for all the pain I probably put you through but… look how everything turned out. I’m married… and pregnant. We have a better relationship. I have Lauren to thank for it. She was the one who pushed me into photography; she’s the one that encouraged me. She’s my other half… when it comes to business.” I added, smiling up at Joe after he cleared his throat. “Lauren has probably done all she could for me and now it’s her turn to do what she can for Kevin. Kevin… you’ve got a good one here. To Kevin and Lauren!”

“Kevin and Lauren!” resounding throughout the room as Kevin and Lauren kissed. I stood up and walked over to my parents and the three of us embraced. It was the most loving hug they had ever given me and this time, it really, truly meant something.

“We’re so sorry,” they both said.

“No, I’m sorry. But, let’s forget about it now. Put the past behind us. A whole new future waits.” I said, looking down at my stomach.

“Ladies and gentlemen, if you would please clear the dance floor, it is time for one of our couples, to have their first dance.” Kevin Sr. said. “Kevin and Lauren…”

Kevin took Lauren’s hand in his and led her to the dance floor where he gracefully twisted her around. Lauren asked me to pick their song and she picked mine and Joe’s. However, we had no idea what the other picked so when Sunlight by Tyler Kyte started playing she looked up at me and rolled her eyes but was all smiles all the same. They twirled around the floor, Kevin dipping her every once and awhile… completely out of rhythm. When they were done, we all applauded them, standing up as they beamed and walked back to the table.

“And now, Joseph and Melissa will have their first dance.” Kevin Sr. said.

Joe led me to the dance floor and struck a ballroom dancing pose as we waited for the music to start. I rolled my eyes and he stuck his tongue out at me, causing me to laugh. Then, I heard the song Golden by Alexz Johnson start to play and I looked over my shoulder at Lauren. She smiled goofily and pointed at Joe and I turned my attention back to him. At the end of the song he slowly turned me around and pulled me into him, kissing me full on the lips.

“I love you,” he whispered after he pulled away and I heard our guests applauding us.

“I love you too,” I said as he started to lead me away.

“Uh, Melissa, hold on a moment,” Nick said. “It’s time for your father-daughter dance.”

“Now?” I asked.

“Gee, I love you too honey,” Dad said, coming up behind me, placing his hand on my back.

“Daddy, it’s not that it’s just… I’m five months pregnant.” I said simply.

“It’ll be over before you know it.” He said. “Then, you get to rest while Lauren dances with her uncle and the boys dance with their mother.”

“I love the way you think,” I said, smiling at him as he led me to the dance floor. He nodded his head towards Nick over my shoulder and Daughters by John Mayer started to play. Joe helped me pick it out. While Dad and I were dancing I would glance over at Gran. She had her lips pursed while she watched, tapping her fingers on the table along with the music.

“What are you looking at?” Dad asked.

“Why didn’t I ever meet Gran until the other week?” I asked, looking up at him.

“My mother and I aren’t on very good terms. Worse than you were with us.”

“But… why?”

“Because… she wasn’t happy for me. When I told her I was going to marry your mother, she was outraged. She didn’t think she was suitable for me; she tried to sabotage the wedding. I told her I would never be able to forgive her. I severed ties with her.”

“So why am I named after her?”

“Even though I was never going to forgive her for what she did to me and your mother, she is the strongest most amazing person I knew. When I saw you in the hospital the day you were born, I saw the strength my mother has.”

“Well, I’m honored. There’s one thing that bothers me though.” I said as the song slowed to an end.

“What is that?” he asked, as the applause resounded throughout the hall once again.

“Why didn’t she come when you were sick?” I asked, a tear pricking at my eye. He looked at me, a frown on his face.

“I don’t know,” he whispered. “I wondered that myself.” Our gazes both turned to Gran. She was applauding, her lips still pressed together in a thin line.

I’m going to find out.

****

The rest of the night was very tiresome. I took my shoes off after my dance with Dad because my ankles were completely swollen. I sat back in my seat, Joe’s arm wrapped around my shoulders, his other hand resting on my stomach, waiting for the baby to kick again. We watched as Lauren and Mr. Herrmann danced to I Hope You Dance by LeeAnn Womack. Soon after that, Joe left my side, after leaving a lingering kiss on my cheek to go dance with Denise to Stand By Me by Ben E. King. He twirled, and dipped, and even lifted her. Her ringing laugh reaching my ears and making me smile. He soon rejoined me and Kevin went to the dance floor to join his mother to the song God Only Knows by the Beach Boys.

We had the bouquet toss, the garter toss, and the dollar dances. Two different cakes; one for them, one for us. Of course we smashed it in each other’s faces. Our families mingled with one another, my cousins making friends with his. It was, to say the least, the most incredible night of my life.

At the moment, my attention was completely consumed by Frankie. He had me out on the dance floor… again… and he was having so much fun. The song was currently Metro Station’s Shake It.

“Mel! You’re not shaking it!” he shouted as he twitched around on the dance floor.

“Frankie, hon, I’m carrying you’re unborn niece or nephew in here. You don’t really want me to shake it.” I said, laughing.

“I guess you’re right.” He said, grabbing my hands and shaking me minimally. When the song ended, I joined Joe, Lauren, and Kevin for our “big announcement.”

“Hey everyone!” Kevin said. “Thank you so much for making this night so special. For all of us.”

“We’d like to reciprocate.” Joe said.

“To our best man and our maid of honor.” Lauren added.

“Since it’s somewhat impossible for Joe and I to have a honeymoon just now… we have decided to send in our place, Nick and Lana. They will be joining Lauren and Kevin at the Sandals resort in Jamaica for a full ten days.”

“As an added bonus, this trip will also be a bit of work for Lana.” Lauren said. “She has the wonderful opportunity to photograph my and Kevin’s honeymoon for a special article that my uncle will publish. The life behind a writer, as he says.”

“Are you serious?” Nick asked.

“Dead a-” Joe started to say but a look from myself and his mother changed his mind. “Dead serious.”

“I can’t believe this.” Lana said.

“Believe it hon. You’re going to Jamaica!” I exclaimed. She squealed and ran over to the four of us, somehow pulling us all into a hug. Nick joined not long after and everyone applauded. While they’re gone… I have serious shopping to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow

That was long. Very intense to put together

So........ THEY'RE FINALLY MARRIED!

Aw yay! So what did you think of the wedding??

Seriously people. I love you all so much for reading and subscribing to this story. 35 subscribers! but you guys aren't commenting. I would really LOVE if you guys could comment once in awhile. I know some of you do but it's always the same people. I want to know what others think! Only like five people have told me what they want the baby to be... I want to know input... Let's try to get at least 5 NEW commenters and then I'll get ready to post the next chapter. Please, it would mean so much to me. That's all I ask... all you have to do is answer this question.

Will the baby be a BOY?

OR

Will the baby be a GIRL?

Really... that's all I want to know :D

Thanks so much guys for reading. It means the world to me.

C/R/S

~Steph <3