Where's My Happily Ever After?

Damn, Hoe, You Got Bitch-Smacked!

I daydreamed throughout all of chemistry, not even pretending that I was paying attention. All I could think about was Jade and that English hussy. Jade was supposed to be in chemistry with me, but she wasn’t in the seat next to me. I jerked out my phone under the table and read the text from Emma.

“No, Jasper isn’t here. Why?”

I ignored her question and sighed, anxious. If he had taken her back to his car hoping to get a quickie...

“Oh, Miss Montague, you’re late.”

I glanced up and saw Jade stumbling into the room. Her face was extremely pale and she looked sick. She smiled weakly at the professor and mumbled that she knew that very well. She gave him the tardy pass and ambled over to her seat.

“Jade, you look like you’ve seen a ghost. What happened?” I whispered, keeping my eyes on the teacher so he wouldn’t know I wasn’t hearing a word of his lecture.

“Jasper...” was all she said before she suddenly smacked me across the face. I turned to shriek at her, but saw her lying unconscious on the floor. I started screaming and everyone turned to me and my sleeping friend.

“Jade!” I yelled. “She’s unconscious!”

“Well, for heaven’s sake take her to the infirmary!” Mr. Gleason demanded. I grabbed her arms and hoisted her up, finding it a bit difficult to move her on my own. Cameron was beside me in an instant, helping me drag Jade down the hall. He looked almost as pale as I’m sure I was.

“What happened?” he asked me worriedly as we stood and watched the nurse exam Jade.

“I don’t know. She just muttered Jasper’s name and then her arm flew across the table and smacked me across the face. I looked down and she was just lying there on the floor.” What had happened with Jasper?

“That’s a curiosity,” he mumbled, leaving no room for any more conversation.

“Samantha?”

I looked up and saw the nurse smiling softly. I stared at her with questioning eyes.

“I do believe Juliette will be fine. She’s mumbling for you, though, so maybe you’d like to come in?” I nodded and left Cameron sitting in the office disoriented.

“Jade?” I whispered, closing the door softly behind me. Her eyes darted to me instantly and she sat up carefully.

“Equinox,” she smiled, her face still fairly pale. She glanced to my cheek and suddenly all frailty was gone as she shrieked, “Damn, hoe, you got bitch-smacked!”

“Yeah, you smacked me before you fell to the floor!” I teased, rubbing my cheek jokingly.

“Oh, no, I was still very much conscious for that. It was payback for this morning when you tripped me!” she joked. I think. “Jasper, he...”

“What did he do? Did he break up with you? I swear I will break his face if he broke your heart. I—”

“He asked me to marry him.”

I didn’t know whether I should let my heart break or smile for her.

Yeah: definitely shatter into a million pieces.