Annabel Lee

I Fear I Can't Take It

Monday morning came soon enough. Annabel was anxious to get to school and talk to Zacky. She tried to call him over the weekend, but her father had the phones on lock-down. She got in the car silently begging her mother to quicken her pace. She wanted to get to school as early as possible so she could have a few moments alone with Zack. She heard the front door close and let out a sigh of relief when she saw her mother approaching.
Mrs. Winters started the car up and slowly backed out of the driveway, obviously in no hurry at all. Annabel rolled her eyes and screamed to herself. “Hurry Up, Mom” she said.

“What was that, honey?”

Oh shit. Did I say that out loud? “Huh? Oh, nothing mom. I just want to get to school a bit early.”

“You want to see Zack don’t you?”

Annabel held her head down trying to come up with a good enough lie. She never was any good at deceiving her parents, or anyone else for that matter.

“Its okay, Ann. I won’t tell your dad. But, you know you’re gonna have to just ride this out for a little bit. He only wants what’s best for you.”

“I know mom. Thanks.”

Annabel could see the entrance of the school coming closer. Her hands started to shake and her heart beat erratically. She was unbearably nervous and found herself wishing she could just go back home. No such luck; her mother would never dream of letting Annabel skip a day of school. She gathered up every bit of courage in her and opened the car door.

“Bye, Ann. I’ll pick you up this afternoon, okay?”

“Yeah, Mom. I’ll see you then.” She said as she gently closed the car door.

Pulling her back pack higher up on her shoulder, she marched forward. She had to find Zacky and apologize for not calling him, and apologize for the way her father had treated him. Walking past the office and the cafeteria, Annabel headed straight for the student parking lot. She knew Zack wouldn’t be here yet, but she wanted to make sure he found her as soon as he parked his car.

Just as the first bell rang, Annabel saw Zack’s car turning into his regular parking place. She slowly walked towards him, heart beating furiously now. He didn’t notice her as he reached behind his seat to grab his back pack.

“Hey” she said shyly.

Zack looked around and smiled, though it quickly faded. Annabel looked so sad, like a broke down doll. He held his arms out towards her and she nearly collapsed into them. Her eyes filled with tears as she wept in his arms. It was all he could do to not cry too. He rubbed her back gently, feeling her relax in his arms.
She pulled away to look at him and he wiped her tears.

“Shhh. Please don’t cry, Annabel. Everything’s going to be okay.”

She smiled at him, sniffling a few times.

“I’m so sorry about the way my dad talked to you, Zack. And I’m sorry that I didn’t call you. I wanted to, but he wouldn’t let me. He even took the phone out of my room, just to make sure I wouldn’t try to sneak it.”

“Don’t worry. I figured that would happen. I’m just sorry that I got you in so much trouble.” He hung his head down, ashamed.

“Zacky, you didn’t get me in trouble. That was all my own doing. I was the dumb-ass who didn’t tell my parents that I was leaving, and I’m the dumb-ass who stayed out all night long.”

“Yeah, but you wouldn’t have been out all night long or even left your house if it weren’t because of me. I just wanted to do something nice for your birthday, I didn’t mean for all of this to happen. I never wanted to get you in trouble with your dad.”

“I know you didn’t mean for any of this to happen, Zacky, but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world. You gave me the best birthday present anyone could have ever gotten. I’m glad I got to spend the night with you at ‘Our’ spot, regardless of the outcome. I would never change that!”

Zack had the biggest smile plastered across his face. He was so happy to hear her say that. He felt exactly the same way. He would do anything to be with her, even if it meant getting in trouble. He wrapped her tightly in his arms once again. She hugged back as hard as she could, cherishing this moment with him. They pulled apart and Zacky grabbed her hand in his as they walked slowly towards their classes, neither caring if they were late.

“So listen, Zack” Annabel said, trying to sound as serious as possible, “my dad says that I’m grounded, which means that I can’t see you for a while. Well, outside of school anyways.”

Zack nodded his head, not liking where this conversation was going.

“But, I think I’ve figured something out. I can get here as early as possible, and maybe you can show up earlier too. I mean, my mom knows about this, so she said she’d drive me as early as I needed her to. What do you say?”

Zack’s eyes grew wide. “That’s freaking genius, Anna! I can get here early too. We aren’t allowed here any earlier than seven, but that still leaves us an hour to spend together.” His eyes sparkled with excitement.

Annabel nodded her head in agreement. For the first time in two days, she felt happiness consume her.

“But what about the afternoon, Zacky. How do we get around that?”

“I’ll think of something. Don’t you worry about a thing; I’ll take care of it.”

Zacky lowered his head to hers, kissing her gently, before leaving her to go to class.

“See you at lunch, Annabel. I love you.”

“Love you too, Zacky.” She said, waving good-bye.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Pressure by Paramore