‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

The Last Time

July 22, 2016

“Auntie Lana, where is Daddy taking me?” I asked as she helped me get dressed.

“Daddy finished his movie so he’s taking you to the premiere. It’s the first time anyone’s going to see it so it’s special.”

“Is that why I get to dress up?” I asked, looking at my dress.

“Yes it is. Uncle Nick and I are going to baby-sit Jake while you two are gone.” She said.

“Is my date ready?” Daddy asked, knocking on the door and I giggled.

“One second.” Auntie Lana called while she fixed my hair. She turned me around and I smiled up at her. She opened the door and Daddy smiled when he saw me.

“Ally-Baby, you look beautiful.” He said, giving me a kiss and picking me up.

“Thanks Daddy. You’re all dressed up too!” I said and he laughed.

“Yes I am. Tonight’s special.”

“That’s what Auntie Lana said.”

He carried me downstairs, Auntie Lana was behind us. I saw Uncle nick sitting on the couch with Jakey.

“Hi Uncle Nick!” I said, waving.

“Well Lexi girl, don’t you look pretty.” He said, smiling. The doorbell rang and Auntie Lana answered it.

“Hi Rob,” she said, moving over.

“Hello. Ready to go Joe?”

“Uncle Robbie!”

“Hey baby girl.” He said, giving me a hug.

“Alright Lexi, say bye to Jake and your aunt and uncle so we can go.” Daddy said.

“Bye Jakey,” I said, giving him a kiss. He looked up at me with his big blue eyes then looked at Daddy.

“Bye little man.” Daddy said, giving Jakey a kiss. “Be a good boy. Any problems call me.”

“Don’t worry Joe. We got it.” Uncle Nick said.

“Have fun,” Auntie Lana said, waving as we climbed into the big car.

****

Joe’s POV

“Okay Ally-Baby,” I said as Rob pulled up to the premiere. “There are going to be a lot of people so you have to hold onto my hand really tight alright?”

“Okay Daddy.” She said, smiling at me.

Rob opened the door and I stepped out of the limo, waving at the flashing lights. I reached back in and pulled Lexi out… even more flashes. We walked hand in hand down the red carpet… stopping for the occasional picture. We caught up with Johnny and the three of us took a picture together… he was very good with her.

Eventually we moved on to the actual reporters. They kept asking questions and I kept answering… the generic questions… the ones about how I was coping were subtly ignored. They were leaving Lexi alone for the most part... until we got to that one reporter.

“So Joe, any new movies lined up?” he asked, pointing the microphone towards me.

“Not yet… we’ll see how it goes.” I answered… or not.

“What about you little one?” he asked, bending towards Lexi. “Are you going to follow in your Daddy’s footsteps and be a star like him and your uncles?”

I bent down and pulled the mic up towards me and looked him in the eye. I pulled Lexi behind me a little and she looked up at me with pouty brown eyes.

“No. She’s not going to be doing anything like that.” I answered and moved on before he could ask another question.

“Daddy?” Lexi asked, tugging on my sleeve as we made our way into the theater.

“What is it baby?” I asked, picking her up to find our seats.

“What did that guy mean? By me being a star?”

“Well… when you were a baby and for a few years before, Uncle Nick, Uncle Kevin and I were singers and we played instruments. Uncle Jack, Uncle Johnny, Uncle Ryan, and Uncle Greggy were our band and played instruments too. We traveled all over the world and made lots of money and met a lot of famous people. It was really fun but it made us really tired. I don’t want you to be tired all the time. You or Jake… I want you to have fun growing up… staying in one spot.” I told her as people filed into the theater.

“Oh… okay… I don’t want to be a star.” She said, resting her head on my arm. “I want to stay with you and Jakey.”

“Okay baby,” I said, smoothing back her hair. “Whatever you want.”

****

Still Joe’s POV

Lexi stayed awake for the whole movie… not really paying much attention. When the movie ended I picked her up into my arms and headed out to Rob and the limo to go to the after party… dropping Lexi at the house first. She practically fell asleep in my arms on the way to the house.

“Hey,” Lana whispered, opening the door for me as I carried Lexi in. “How did the premiere go?”

“Great… they loved it.” I said, laying Lexi on her bed. “How was Jake?”

“Fine,” she said, handing me Lexi’s pajamas. I slipped her dress off and her nightgown on without waking her. “He fussed a bit when we tried getting him to bed but finally Nick got him to sleep. He’s zonked out on your bed right now actually… I’ll go wake him up.”

“No… you guys can sleep in there tonight… I don’t know what time I’ll be back. I might just sleep on the couch.”

“Okay… if you’re sure.” She said as I closed Lexi’s door. “Have fun.”

“I’ll try.” I said, walking downstairs. My first after party without Lyss. “Goodnight.”

“Night Joe.”

“Okay Rob… let’s go.” I said and he drove off.

****

Still Joe’s POV

“That little girl you got is an angel.” Johnny said to me at the party. We were sitting at a table together with his girlfriend by his side. I smiled up at him.

“Yeah, she’s more than I ever asked for.” I said as I thought of my daughter. “Jake too.”

“Your son?” he asked.

“Yeah, he’s only a month and a half old but he’s just like his sister. He seems to be growing up faster than he should.”

“You know… you’re a really great Dad… you should spend more time with them. Forget about this namby-pamby business and go have fun.” He said, waving his hands around.

“That’s exactly what I had in mind.” I said.

“When are you going to announce it?”

“Right now.” I said, standing up. I tapped my fork to my glass. “Excuse me, can I have everyone’ attention please?”

The music quieted and all heads turned to me. All the actors from the movie, the crew, all the important movie people… all looking at me. I cleared my throat and looked around.

“I have an announcement to make. First of all I’d like to thank everyone who was involved with this movie; we’ve made it a success. Second… I’d like to let you all be the firsts to know… I’m quitting the movie business. I will no longer direct. In fact… I’m leaving California.”

“What?” someone asked.

“You heard me; I’m taking my family and leaving California… I’m not sure where to yet but… I thought I’d share that all with you. Thank you… enjoy your evening.” I said, stepping down. I grabbed my suit jacket and started walking away.

“Where are you going?” Johnny asked, turning to look at me.

“To be with my kids.” I answered and he smiled at me.

****

I turned over in my sleep and opened my eyes, yawning. Lucky was sleeping at my feet and I saw someone sleeping in my chair. I stood up and walked over, pulling the blanket down. Daddy blinked his eyes open and smiled at me.

“Hey baby,” he whispered pulling me onto his lap.

“What are you doing here Daddy?” I asked sleepily, laying my head on his shoulder. He pulled the blanket over us and started rocking the chair.

“I got back from the party awhile ago and I wanted to check up on you and I fell asleep here.” He said.

“How was the party?”

“It was okay… I left early.”

“Did you have fun?”

“Yeah… but I’m going to have more fun at home now.” He said, kissing the top of my head.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m staying with you and Jakey for the rest of the summer.”

“No more work?”

“No more work.” He said. I smiled and hugged him tight, closing my eyes as he continued rocking the chair.

“Daddy?” I asked quietly, keeping my eyes closed.

“Yes?”

“Can you sing Mommy’s song?”

“Sure baby,” he whispered. He wrapped his arms around me and cleared his throat. “Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, there’s a land that I heard of once in a lullaby…
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little heads up I'm going up to camp again this weekend. I'll put up Ch. 13 tomorrow morning and Ch. 14 Sunday afternoon/night.

So... Joe quit directing. He and the kids are definitely going to move. Where do you think they'll move? So far guesses are Michigan, Boston, New York, and Texas... anyone else have any ideas? You find out in Ch. 13 so leave me comments with your guesses!!

Hey... read this ---> Fly With Me. My sister wrote it... it's cute. =]

I'm watching Gilmore Girls... the very last episode. I just might cry.

Thanks so much for reading... I love you all.

C/R/S

~Steph <3