‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Finding Neverland

August 15, 2016
Joe’s 27th Birthday


“Auntie Lana, did you and Uncle Nick move out because Daddy stopped going to work?” I asked as she put frosting on Daddy’s cake. He was out with Uncle Frankie, Uncle Nick and Uncle Kevin and everyone else was at my house. We were having a surprise party for Daddy. Gran was upstairs with Jakey, waking him up from his nap and Aunt Lauren and Brody were decorating.

“Well… yes. He didn’t need our help anymore. We stayed here long enough.”

“I miss you guys.” I said, pouting.

“I know sweetie but you still get to see us a lot.” She said. Gramp then came in with Grandma and Grandpa… they had been buying food.

“Oh good, you’re here.” Aunt Lauren said. “Kevin just texted me, they’ll be back any minute.”

“Oh Lexi, we have to get you dressed.” Auntie Lana said, wiping her hands. She picked me up and carried me up to my room where Gran was changing Jakey’s diaper.

“Hey sweet pea, do you remember where you hid Daddy’s present?” Gran asked while Auntie Lana put a dress on me.

“Yupp,” I said, bending down to get the present from under my bed. Gran helped me make it and she wrapped it for me.

“Good,” she said, smiling at me. “I hear Lucky barking… Daddy must be here.”

“Yay!” I cried, running downstairs and jumping onto the couch. I looked out the window and saw Daddy and my Uncles walking to the door. “They’re here!”

Gramp turned the lights off and picked me up. We hid behind the couch with Auntie Lana and the others hid around the room. Daddy opened the door and turned the lights on. We all jumped up.

“Surprise!”

Daddy blinked and looked around with his mouth open. Gran walked over to him smiling and gave him Jakey. He saw me and smiled.

“What’s going on?” he asked slowly.

“It’s your birthday party Daddy!” I said, hugging his legs. He bent down and kissed my forehead and looked at everyone.

“Thanks everyone,” he said smiling.

****

Joe’s POV

“Daddy, it’s time to open presents!” Lexi said, climbing into my lap with a wrapped rectangular shaped object in her hands. She handed it to me and everyone found a seat or a spot to stand to watch me.

I tore off the wrapping and flipped the gift over. I ran my fingers along the edges as Lexi smiled up at me; both in reality and in the picture. Lyss had taken this picture of Lexi and I last August… it was my 26th birthday actually. We were on the beach and I was holding Lexi around the stomach. She was laughing and looking at the camera and I was smiling. I remembered that day clearly.

“Come on Daddy! Play with me!” Lexi cried, pulling me up from the towel I was laying on. My head had been resting on Lyss’ legs and she laughed as our daughter pulled me up. I ran after Lexi and gripped her around the waist, swinging her around.

“Look over here!” Lyss called. I turned our bodies around and she snapped the picture.

I played with Lexi for awhile. When she looked tired I carried her in my arms over to the car where Lyss was already packing away everything we brought. After I had Lexi all strapped in her car seat… asleep… I turned to help Lyss put the rest of the stuff in the car.

“So… what’s the consensus birthday boy?” she asked.

“Well that was probably one of the best birthday’s ever. I don’t think anything can top it.” I said, folding up the towels.

“Oh really?”

“Yupp,” I said, popping the ’p’.

“Are you sure?” she asked, crossing her arms and leaning against the side of the car as I closed the trunk.

“What aren’t you telling me?” I asked.

“Joe… I’m pregnant.”

“For real?” I asked, my mouth hanging open.

“Yes Joseph… I’m really pregnant again.”


I glanced up, my eyes glassy and kissed Lexi on the forehead and looked over at Jake who was now in Frankie’s arms.

“Thanks Ally-Baby.”

“Do you like it?”

“I love it.”

****

Still Joe’s POV

We were sitting around the living room… eating cake and drinking coffee. Lexi was playing with Lucky while Brody was nodding off in Kevin’s arms. Jake was asleep upstairs in his crib… the baby-monitor crackling on the coffee table.

“So, were you surprised?” Lauren asked, sitting on the arm of the couch next to me.

“Very. I wasn’t expecting this at all. It was nice having the family together.”

“We’re pretty much always together Joseph.” She said, rolling her eyes as she lifted her fork to her mouth, chewing on the cake.

“Not for much longer.” I mumbled taking a sip of my tea.

“What?” she asked mid-fork lift. I held up a finger and cleared my throat.

“Excuse me,” I said and everyone looked up. Lexi came over and climbed onto the couch next to me.

“What’s up Joe?” Nick asked, sitting down next to Lana.

“I have an announcement…” I said, looking over at my parents and my in-laws. “I’m taking Lexi and Jake and moving.”

“Moving?” Nick and Kevin asked at the same time.

“Where?” My mother asked, her eyes widening.

“To New York.” I said, Lexi looked up at me confused.

“You’re taking two young children from a stable home in California to the busy streets of New York City?” Lauren asked.

“I never said New York City.” I said, giving her an annoyed look. “Upstate. I already made a deal with a real-estate agent through phone calls and e-mails. I bought a house in the Adirondacks… in the Lake George region.”

“So… kind of out in the country?” Frankie asked.

“Basically,” I said, looking nervously down at Lexi. I hadn’t told her about this.

“What does moving mean?” she asked.

“It means that you, Jake, Lucky, and I are going to take everything out of the house and move to a new house.”

“For forever?”

“Well… yeah.”

“How far away is New York?”

“It’s very far. On the other side of the country.” I said and her lower lip jutted out. “You’ll go to a new school and make new friends and get to see snow.”

“I don’t want new friends.” She said, crossing her arms.

“Honey I’m sorry but… this is what Daddy wants to do… for you and Jakey. We’ll be away from all of the camera people and things will be so much better.”

“But… but… what about Grandma and Grandpa? And Gran and Gramp? And… everybody?”

“Well we can fly back and visit. I’m sure they’ll want to come out and see our new house.” I said, looking to my family for help.

“Of course we’ll come visit Lexi.” Lauren said, smoothing Lexi’s hair down.

“Do you promise?” she asked in a small voice.

“Of course.”

“When do we move Daddy?”

“In ten days.” I said, cringing. Everyone’s heads snapped back to me. “Let me explain. I want to get there as soon as possible so Lexi will be there in time to start school.”

“Well… that makes sense.” My father said.

“Are you sure this is what you have to do Joe?” my mother-in-law asked.

“Yes. I need to start fresh. We need to start fresh.” I said, indicating Lexi. She simply nodded her head and took a sip of her coffee.

“Let us know what you need help with.” Kevin said.

“Are you driving there?” Nick asked.

“Yeah, I already have a U-haul rented. My car will be attached to the back.”

“You’re going to drive across the country with a five year old and a barely two-month old baby?” Lana asked. “Are you sure you can handle that?”

“I’ll be fine.” I said reassuring them. “Help with packing would be great.”

****

August 24, 2016
Last night in the CA house


“Daddy?” I asked while we were eating dinner. He was feeding Jakey and put the spoon down to look at me.

“What’s up baby girl?”

“Where did Mommy go?”

“What do you mean?” he asked quietly.

“Where does God send you when you die?”

“Well… a lot of people say God sends you to heaven. That’s where I thought he sent Mommy at first but now… I believe God sent Mommy to Neverland.”

“Like in Peter Pan?” I asked.

“Well… yes. More like a different Peter Pan movie though.”

“There’s another Peter Pan movie?” I asked confused.

“Yes and it’s one of Uncle Nick’s favorites. It’s called Finding Neverland.”

“Can we watch it?”

“Um… if you want to. Right now?”

“I want Uncle Nick to be here because it’s his favorite.” I said.

“Well alright. After dinner we’ll call Uncle Nick.” He said. I smiled and finished eating my dinner.

****

“Hi Uncle Nick!” I said, pulling open the front door.

“Hey Lexi girl,” he said, picking me up. “Where’s your Daddy?”

“Putting Jakey to bed. Did you bring the movie?”

“Yes I did. Right here.” He said, pulling it out.

“Yay!” I said clapping. Daddy came down the stairs and smiled.

“Ready to watch this movie Ally-Baby?” he asked and I nodded my head. Uncle Nick put the movie in the DVD player and started it while I climbed into Daddy’s lap.

I was very quiet during the movie. Just like in the theater. It was sad at the end. I looked at Uncle Nick when it was over and he quietly stood up and turned off the movie and sat back down, looking at me and Daddy.

“That was a pretty Neverland.” I said, turning to look at Daddy.

“Yes it was.”

“So… that’s where Mommy is?”

“Yeah Ally-Baby… that’s where Mommy is.” He said, a tear falling down his cheek.

“I want to see her.” I whispered.

“Close your eyes Lexi.” Uncle Nick said. “Close your eyes and think of happy things and think of your Mommy.”

“Okay…” I said, closing my eyes.

“What do you see?”

“I am standing on a cloud… and I see a rainbow.” I said, thinking of Mommy. “I can see the mermaids… there’s Tinkerbell!”

“What else do you see?” Daddy whispered.

“I… I see Mommy. Daddy… she looks really pretty and she’s waving to me.” I opened my eyes and looked at Daddy. He was holding me tight and his arms were shaking. I wrapped my arms around his neck and cried. I turned my head and looked at Uncle Nick and he was crying too. Daddy’s tears were falling on my shoulder and I turned and kissed his cheek.

“I saw her Daddy.” I whispered.

*********************************************************************************

Peter Llewelyn Davies: It's just, I thought she'd always be here.
J.M. Barrie: So did I. But in fact, she is, because she's on every page of your imagination. You'll always have her there. Always.
Peter Llewelyn Davies: But why did she have to die?
J.M. Barrie: I don't know, Peter. When I think of your mother, I will always remember how happy she looked, sitting there in the parlor watching a play about her family, about her boys that never grew up. She went to Neverland. And you can visit her any time you like if you just go there yourself.
Peter Llewelyn Davies: How?
J.M. Barrie: By believing, Peter. Just believe.

~Freddie Highmore & Johnny Depp - Finding Neverland
♠ ♠ ♠
So... that whole Finding Neverland bit... was inspiration after watching the movie. My sister Amanda said I should add the movie in somehow and BAM! five seconds later I was running upstairs with an idea.

Going up to camp again today. Joy... (note sarcasm)... I'll be back on Sunday so I'll have Ch. 14 posted Sunday afternoon/night.

Please leave comments dear readers. These last few chapters I haven't gotten very many and I just want to make sure I still have your interest... especially after what I did last week... *hides in corner in case there are still angry readers*.

So... Joe's moving to New York. Aly you were right... Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Upstate New York... hey! That's by me! What a great idea! Haha... so... you'll find out the name of the town in Ch. 15.... it might be familiar to some XD That picture is just beautiful isn't it? I love living upstate =]

Thank you so much for reading everyone. I'll end the long author's note here. You guys are awesomely amazing =]

C/R/S

~Steph <3