‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Meeting Luke

Saturday, September 10, 2016

“Daddy, I’m hungry.” I said as we walked through town.

“I know you are baby. We’re almost there.” He said, squeezing my hand.

“Where are we going?”

“To get breakfast at the diner.”

“What’s a diner?”

“It’s like a restaurant. It’s right over there on the corner.” He said, pointing.

“Good because I’m really, really, hungry.” I said, holding my stomach.

“Alright, here we go.” He said, holding the door open for me.

“Joe, hey buddy.” A guy wearing a hat said from behind the counter.

“Hey Luke.” Daddy said, waving. “Come on Lexi.”

We sat at a table and I swung my legs back and forth. Daddy opened a menu and showed it to me… I wanted pancakes of course.

“This must be Lexi,” the guy said, coming over and smiling down at me.

“Yes it is.” Daddy said. “Ally-Baby this is Luke.”

“Hi,” I said, smiling. He smiled again and pulled out a pen.

“What can I get you guys?”

“I want pancakes.” I said.

“Do you want chocolate chips in your pancakes?”

“Can I Daddy?” I asked and he nodded. “Yes please!”

“What about you Joe?”

“I’ll have eggs over-easy, bacon and wheat toast. And can you mash a banana and put it in a bowl for Jake?”

“Yeah no problem. Want some tea?”

“Yeah thanks.”

“What about you missy? Some chocolate milk?” Luke asked.

“Sure.” I said smiling. He walked back behind the counter and I looked at Daddy. “Daddy he’s nice.”

“Yes he is sweetie.” Daddy said.

I saw a girl come out from behind a curtain. There was a staircase. She was older than me but she had brown hair just like mine.

“Morning Dad,” she said to Luke.

“Morning” Luke said, giving her a hug. He brought her over to our table and she smiled and waved. “This is my daughter Chloe. Chlo this is the new family in town. This is Joe and his kids Lexi and Jake.”

“Hi,” she said, shaking Daddy’s hand. “Hi Lexi.” She said smiling at me.

“Hi.”

“Luke you didn’t tell me you had a daughter.” Daddy said.

“It’s still kind of new to him.” Chloe said. Daddy looked confused and she and Luke laughed. “I grew up with just my Mom and after she passed I wanted to find my father so I did some research and found Luke. He took me in and it was tough at first but things are finally normal.”

“Wow. Sorry about your Mom.” Daddy said.

“Thanks. I can’t believe it’s been three years. Dad told me about your… situation and I’m sorry too.”

“Thank you.” Daddy said, looking down.

“Chloe how old are you?” I asked.

“I’m seventeen,” she said smiling.

“Wow.” I whispered.

“Yep. What about you?”

“I’m five. I’m in first grade.”

“Do you like it?”

“It’s okay.” I said, shrugging. “What grade are you in?”

“I’m in twelfth grade.”

“Wow.” I said again.

“Chloe…” Daddy said slowly and she looked at him. “Would you be interested in baby-sitting Lexi and Jake if I ever need you to?”

“Oh yeah. Definitely. I love working with kids.”

“Ok cool. I’ll let you know.” He said and Luke came over with our breakfast.

“Awesome. Well I’ll leave you to eat.” She said, standing up and waving.

****

Joe’s POV

“Luke!”

I looked up and saw Madeline walk in through the door. She went and sat at the counter… her nails making a tapping sound.

“Hey Madeline,” Luke said.

“I need coffee.”

“No.”

“Luke,” she whined. Lexi giggled and I smiled down at her. “Come on.”

Luke sighed and poured her some coffee and she smiled. I saw the way Luke looked at her. It was like how I used to look at Lyss… especially when she was with Nick. It seemed so long ago…

“So did you get a lot of good pictures tonight?” Nick asked as he ran his fingers through Lyss’ hair.

They were curled up on the couch of the bus and her head was resting on his chest. I sat in a chair across from them. My iPod was in my ears but I had it paused… eavesdropping on their conversation. I pretended to be interested in the song that was supposed to be playing while I kept glancing up at them.

“Yeah I did. Especially of you Mr. Rockstar.” She said giving him a kiss. I inconspicuously coughed and pretended to switch the song. I saw Lyss look over at me with a glare and I smirked.

“Uh so you excited for Oklahoma?” Nick asked, glancing over at me before looking back at Lyss.

“Oh very.”

“You know there aren’t any cars in Oklahoma.” I said suddenly, forgetting I was supposed to be completely interested in my iPod.

“Eavesdropping Joseph?” Lyss asked, sitting up to stare at me.

“Annoying me, Melissa?” I asked, narrowing my eyes at her playfully.

“Touché Jonas.”

“Okay well… I’m tired. I’m heading to bed. Goodnight.” Nick said giving Lyss a lingering kiss.

He nodded his head at me and went back to the bunks. Lyss waited until he went into the bathroom before getting up and kneeling on the floor in front of me. She pulled the ear buds out of my ears and rested her elbows on my knees. I looked down into her eyes and had the feeling of want. I wanted her but couldn’t have her.

“What’s with you Joe?” she whispered.

“What do you mean?” I asked pretending not to know.

“You… I thought you were fine with this. With me and Nick.”

I sighed and sat back in the chair, turning my head towards the front of the bus. She huffed and sat so she was next to me now. I turned my head to look at her… the moon streamed in through the window and hit her face just right, enhancing her features.

“No.” I said and she looked up at me questioningly. “I’m not fine with you and him together. It’s not right… I just… I want to be happy. I want to be happy with you.”

I sat up and put my head in my hands. She pulled my hands away from my face and put her hand on my cheek.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I’m sorry you’re not happy but Nick’s happy and… I’m happy.”

“Are you really?” I asked… my voice suddenly stronger.

“Excuse me?” she asked, backing away from me.

“Are you really happy?”

“Of course.”

“It sure as hell doesn’t seem that way.” I said standing up and walking towards the bunks. I turned around and saw the pain on her face. “Goodnight Lyss.” I whispered before walking behind the curtains.


“Daddy!” I heard Lexi say. I shook my head and looked at her. “Your food is getting cold.”

“Oh, right.” I said, picking up my fork.

While I alternated between feeding myself and Jake I watched Luke interact with Madeline. I lost count of how many cups of coffee she drank after three. He would always fight with her about another cup but would give in and pour her some more. When it came to her order he tried to get her to have some fruit but she wouldn’t have any of it. It made me smile for some reason… watching him struggle like that. When we were done eating I brought Lexi and Jake with me up to the counter to pay… Madeline was at the opposite end so she wouldn’t hear me talking to Luke.

“So uh… Luke.” I said as I handed him the money. “When are you going to ask Madeline out?”

“What?” he asked, looking up at me.

“You heard me. It’s so obvious the two of you want to be together. What’s holding you back?” I asked, leaning up against the counter.

“Well… the diner and… she’s got the kids at the school and I have Chloe and…”

“No excuses. Listen… just… ask her out. It looks like she likes eating… take her somewhere out of town. Somewhere nice. Bring her flowers.”

“I don’t know… it’s all so… stupid.” He said, shaking his head and handing me my change.

“Love is not stupid.” I answered. “See you later. Come on Ally-Baby.”

“Bye Luke. Bye Chloe!” she said, waving as we walked out of the diner, the bell on the door ringing until I closed it firmly behind us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwwwww Luke likes Madeline. In case you didn't figure it out I'm modeling Madeline after Lorelai kind of. So Luke has a daughter Whoa... sounds familiar for those of you who don't know about April... ick. But Chloe is more modeled after Rory not April.

What do you think of these new characters? Too much? Do you like where I'm headed with this story? I know it may seem kind of boring without Melissa and I'm sorry for that but... it picks up I promise. And don't worry I haven't forgotten about the rest of the family. Trust me.

Please leave me comments everyone. I have 36 subscribers and you guys are all amazing but I really need you all to comment so I know how you all feel about this to see if I should hcange anything.

C/R/S

~Steph <3