‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

The Collegiate Life

Thursday, August 24, 2028
Lexi’s last night at home


“I’m going to go pick up the food from Luke’s.” Dad said, grabbing his car keys. Ricky and I were sitting on the couch and Jake was upstairs. “No funny business while I’m gone.”

“Yeah, see you in a bit Dad.” I said, rolling my eyes towards Ricky once the front door closed.

“So, Miss Jonas. It’s your last night in Stars Hollow.” He said, smiling. “How do you feel?”

“Excited, nervous, sad, happy… a tad nostalgic.”

“How so?”

“The nostalgia?” I asked and he nodded his head and I shrugged my shoulders. “Well… I’m thinking about when I was little… before Jake… life with my Mom. Then I think about moving here… and growing up. The first time we met… our first kiss.”

“At your sweet sixteen.” He said, remembering as well. I sighed and leaned into his body.

“I’m going to miss you.”

“Ditto.” He said, kissing the top of my head. “Can we talk about something?”

“Would that something be us?” I asked, sitting up again.

“Yeah.” he said.

“You go first.” I said quietly.

“Okay. Tomorrow morning… you’re leaving for Buffalo. That’s about four hours away from here. I’m only going about an hour away from here. We’ll both be busy with classes and friends and maybe work. You know I love you… very much… but I don’t want to hold you back.”

“I love you too,” I said, a lump rising in my throat. “I don’t feel like we’d be holding each other back. It will be hard but… do you think we should try to stay together?”

“Lexi,” he sighed, pulling me into him and kissing the top of my head. “I want you to go and enjoy yourself without having to worry about calling me every day or emailing me all the time. We can still keep in touch but… I think it’s time that we… move on.”

“But…”

“However,” he said, stopping me. “If we can’t handle not being together… we can restart this. All I’m saying is to try something new. I’ll always love you and you can call me anytime you need to talk.”

“So… this is goodbye?” I asked. I heard the door open and close. Dad was back.

“Food!” Dad cried, walking into the kitchen.

“I’m not leaving yet.” Ricky said. “I told you I’d be here for dinner and everything so I’m staying. We can say goodbye in a few hours. For now let’s just have fun… like normal.”

“Right… like normal.” I said.

“Hey,” Dad said, walking in. I looked up and he raised his eyebrows… I smiled at him to try to get rid of the sad expression that was probably on my face. “You guys hungry or do Jake, Lucky, and I have to split it?”

“Oh no way,” Ricky said, standing up and laughing. “Hey Jake! You better not eat all of Luke’s mac ’n cheese like last time!”

Dad and I stayed in the living room. I was on the couch, he was by the piano. I looked up at him and his eyebrows were still raised. I shifted uncomfortably on the couch.

“You hungry Ally-baby?” he asked softly.

“Yeah just… give me a minute.” I said.

He stayed there for a moment before turning to walk into the kitchen. I took a few deep breaths and wiped at the stray tears on my face before putting on a smile and walking into the kitchen.

“There better be food left for me!” I said as I walked.

****

Friday, August 25th
Moving In Day


“Are you sure we have everything in the car?” Dad asked as the three of us climbed in.

I had already said a tearful goodbye to Lucky. My poor baby was going to be stuck at home with two guys. Luke and Madeline stopped by last night to say their goodbyes. Gabby’s school had started really early, last week so we had our goodbye then. That one was tough.
Ricky left last night. We’re going to continue to stay friends but as far as boyfriend and girlfriend goes… we’re done. It was sad, saying goodbye. Deep down I know I’ll always love him but I think he was right in saying that I should go out and find something permanent. Someday it will happen.

“Positive. Even if we don’t you guys can just ship it to me.” I said as I buckled my seat belt.

“Ready?” he asked, looking over at me. I looked out the window towards the house.

“Let’s go.” I said, punching the button to turn on the radio. I dug into my bag between my feet and pulled out an old Jonas Brothers CD.

“Oh come on Lexi, not again.” Jake whined.

“I’m offended buddy. You don’t want to hear your Dad and uncles sing?” Dad asked, glancing in the rearview mirror back at Jake.

“Not when I have to hear Lexi sing along with it.” He mumbled.

“Be nice.” Dad warned as I started singing to Goodnight and Goodbye.

****

A little over four hours later we were driving into Buffalo, New York. Getting into Buffalo was the easy part. Finding our way to the right building at the University of Buffalo was the hard part.

“Which building is it?” Dad asked, leaning forward against the steering wheel to see more out the windshield.

“That one down there.” I said, pointing to the left.

“You sure?”

“Yeah, look it says Richmond.”

A resident assistant was outside directing cars. Dad pulled into a parking spot and the three of us stepped out, stretching our arms and legs.

“So… stuff first or go inside?” Dad asked.

“I don’t know I’ve never done this before.” I said shrugging.

“Neither have I.” he said.

“Um okay… I’d say go in and register so we’re not lugging all of my stuff around.”

“Alright,” he said with a sigh. “Let’s go.”

****

“Okay. 207, this is it.” I said, pushing open the door to my double room. My roommate wasn’t there yet.

“Nice, bigger than I thought it would be.” Dad said, setting my trunk down on the floor. “What do you think Jake?”

“It’s not bad. Sucks that you have to share though.” He said.

“Oh I think it will be fun.” I said turning to him.

“Whatever you say.”

“Jake, help your sister start unpacking and all that. I’ll go get the last of the stuff.” Dad said, walking out.

“Don’t get lost!” I called out.

“Five bucks says he will.” Jake said.

“You’re on.” I said, shaking his hand. “Okay… I’ll start with my clothes can you start with my desk stuff?”

“Sure I guess. I wonder when your roommate will get here.” He said and I shrugged. “Have you talked to her?”

“Yeah a little. She seems really cool. Her name’s Isabelle.”

“Is she hot?”

“Ew, Jake. No, you’re not allowed to have a stupid pre-teen crush on my roommate. Besides I don’t know what she looks like yet.”

“Hey! I’m almost thirteen!”

“Dude, you just turned twelve two months ago.” I laughed.

“I’m back.”

“You owe me five bucks.” I said to Jake.

“Why does your brother owe you money?” Dad asked, unloading the cart he borrowed from downstairs.

“He bet you’d get lost.”

“Nice, Jake.” Dad said, rolling his eyes.

“Here it is.” I heard someone outside say. I turned around to look towards the door and saw a tall, blonde girl outside with two people I assumed to be her parents.

“Isabelle?” I asked as she walked into the room.

“Hi Alexandra!” she cried, putting her stuff down. We stepped forward and hugged each other. “You can call me Izzy.”

“And you can call me Lexi.” I said, smiling at her.

“These are my parents, Jim and Donna.” She said, I shook hands with her parents smiling.

“This is my Dad, Joe.”

“Jim O’Connell.” Isabelle’s father said.

“Joe Jonas,” Dad said, shaking his hand.

“Your name sounds familiar.” Her mom said, raising her eyebrows.

“Did you ever listen to the Jonas Brothers when you were a teenager?” I asked with a smile on my face.

“Oh! You’re that Joe Jonas?”

“That would be me.” Dad said laughing.

“Wow. It’s so nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you too.”

“Is your wife here?”

“No, my wife passed away twelve years ago and I never re-married.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry.”

“No harm, no foul.” Dad said. “Oh, this is my son, Jake.”

“Hi,” Jake said waving.

****

About two hours later Dad and Jake had to get going. Izzy’s parents left after about an hour and a half. The three of us were out in the parking lot by the car to say our goodbyes. I could already feel a lump rising in my throat. Dad walked over to me and put his hands on my shoulders.

“Alright,” he said, taking a deep breath. “No drinking, no drugs, no boys.”

“Dad.”

“Alright… one boy. I need to know everything about him.”

“Fine,” I said with a sigh. “Take care of my baby. Lucky’s never been left alone with just the two of you.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll take good care of her.” Dad said, pulling me into a hug. “Do good Ally-baby.”

“Bye Daddy.” I said, holding him an extra second longer.

“Get drunk at least once for me.” Jake said giving me a hug I laughed but Dad was not amused. He smacked the back of Jake’s head just like I’ve seen him do to Uncle Kevin and Uncle Nick a few times.

“Yeah, how about in two and a half years.”

“Fine,” Jake huffed. “See ya sis.”

“Later bro.”

“Call every day,” Dad said, slowly climbing into the car.

“How about every week.” I suggested.

“As long as it is every week.” He said.

“Yes Dad.” I said as he closed the door. He started to pull out slowly, keeping his eyes on me. I stood there and waved until they were out of sight.

Time for the college life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, goodbyes suck. No more Lexi and Ricky =[

See what I did with Goodnight and Goodbye there? Because you know the first story in this series is IARCRWO XD Oh I'm a smart cookie lol

Not much left to this story. Only about four more chapters or so... Wow. Comment it up since we're so close to the end!

NEW STORY sort of... I started posting this... then deleted it... then decided to post again so check out Did You Just Waste Your Breath!!! My friend Kristen started writing it and I thought I'd finish it but that wasn't working then SHE STARTED WRITING IT AGAIN! Hence the re-posting. So read, comment, let me know what you think!

Thank you so much for reading! XD

C/R/S

~Steph <3