‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Letting Go

June 3, 2033
Lexi and Bryan’s Wedding Day


“Oh God… tell me the truth. How horrible do I look?” I asked, standing in front of my three aunts, Gabby, and Izzy.

“Sweetie, you couldn’t look more beautiful.” Aunt Lauren said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

The butterflies started to slowly go away and I took a deep breath. I turned around and looked at myself in the mirror. My breath hitched in my throat as I noticed how the flowing white fabric drifted across my body.

“Wow.” I whispered.

“Okay so… your earrings are borrowed.” Gabby said.

“Your shoes are new…” Izzy added.

“Your underwear is blue.” Aunt Carly said.

“So… what’s old?” Aunt Lana asked, furrowing her brows.

“Crap!” I said, looking around. “I don’t have something old.”

As I sat in a chair to calm myself down my aunts and friends looked around. A knock on the door stopped the commotion. Aunt Lauren answered it and in walked Uncle Nick.

“Hey Lexi girl.” He said, walking over and giving me a kiss on the cheek.

“What are you doing in here?” I asked, giving him a tight hug.

“I have something for you.” he said. He walked over to the vanity and pulled over an extra chair to seat across from me. With a smile, he reached into his jacket pocket and extracted a long, narrow box. The hinges swung back as he lifted it open and inside was a beautiful diamond necklace.

“Oh!” I exclaimed, touching my hand to my neck. “It’s beautiful.”

“It was your mother’s.” he said, gently lifting it out of the box. He stood up and walked behind me to gently place it on my neck. “When you, your dad, and Jake moved away from California seventeen years ago… I found this when I helped packing. I took it without telling Joe with all intentions of giving it to you on your wedding day. Melissa would have wanted you to have this. Now… you have something old.”

“Thank you so much.” I whispered, turning around and giving him another hug. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and stepped back.

“You look beautiful.” He said. “I’ll see you in a few.”

“Alright, let’s make sure you’re one-hundred percent ready to go for this.” Aunt Lana said, grabbing a few extra make-up things will Aunt Lauren checked my hair.

****

Joe’s POV

Nick had slipped out of the room muttering something about the bathroom. Frankie and Kevin wer trying to help Jake with his tie over by the mirror. Bryan was pacing the room, running a hand through his hair. I smirked at his nervousness… it kind of reminded me of myself on my wedding day. I sighed and walked over to him.

“Hey Joe.” He said, still pacing.

“You know, in a few hours you’ll have to start calling me Dad.” I said laughing and clapping a hand on his shoulder. “So, how do you feel?”

“I’m excited. Really I am. I just feel…”

“Like you’re going to puke buckets?” I asked, grabbing a chair and sitting down.

“Yeah,” he said, taking a deep breath. I motioned for him to sit and he grabbed a chair sitting across from me.

“If you haven’t realized… Lexi and Jake are the two most important things in my life. I just want you to know that you seem to be the best thing that has ever happened to her. Her past boyfriends were alright but you… you’re better than anyone I could have picked, Bryan.

“The way you two look at each other reminds me of myself and Lexi’s mother when she was still alive. We were each other’s worlds and I see it’s the same for the two of you. You have no idea how amazing it feels to see her so happy. I’m proud to be able to call you my son-in-law… in a few hours.” I added with a slight laugh. We stood up and hugged.

“I won’t let you down.” Bryan said

“I know.” I said. Just then Nick came back and said that it was about time to start. “Now… let’s go get you and my daughter married.

****

“Lexi?”

I looked away from the mirror to see Dad standing in the doorway. He smiled when he saw me and I walked over and hugged him. He looked so… ready… to let me go.

“You look beautiful baby doll.” He said, taking my hand and spinning me around. His eyes fell on my neck and my hand instantly shot up and I smiled. “Is that…?”

“Yeah… it’s Mom’s. Uncle Nick came in here and gave it to me. It’s my “something old”.” I said, smiling.

“I had no idea he had it.” He whispered.

“He told me he found it when packing up the California house and decided to keep it to give to me. I’m not sure why he didn’t tell you.” I admitted, spilling Uncle Nick’s secret.

“And he told me he was going to the bathroom.”

“What?” I asked with a laugh.

“Nothing,” he said, shaking his head and smiling. “Ready to get married?”

I linked my arm through his and felt the butterflies erupt in my stomach. Gabby and Izzy lined up in front of us as my aunts went to sit down with my uncles. The thought of Bryan standing at the altar waiting for me with his best friend, and best man, Jason and Jake caused a huge smile to appear on my face. The music started and we walked forward. Dad and I stood at the doors as my best friends walked down the aisle.

“Daddy,” I whispered.

“Yeah Ally-Baby?” he asked, using his nickname since before I could remember.

“Thank you. For everything that you’ve done for me. For Jake. For Mom basically. She’d be so proud of you Daddy.”

“You’re welcome. For everything. And I’m the proud one. You and Jake turned out much better than I thought you would.” He said and I laughed. I could feel a tear threatening to spill over already and the ceremony hadn’t started yet. The music changed to the wedding march and we started walking forward.

“Time to give you away.” He whispered. “Bryan is a good guy, Lexi.”

I smiled and looked up to Bryan who looked as nervous as I felt. I looked back at Dad right when we got to the front of the altar and stopped walking. I gave him a hug before turning to my soon to be husband.

“If he’s half the man you are I’ll spend my life in happiness.” I whispered. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and turned to Bryan, handing Gabby my bouquet.

****

The Reception
Father-Daughter Dance


I told Dad that our father-daughter dance song was going to be a surprise. After Uncle Frankie announced it was time for the dance I met Dad in front of the table where he linked my arm through his. Once on the dance floor the music started to play and everyone laughed.

“Interesting choice.” He said as he twirled me into his arms.

“I thought it suited the situation.” I said with a smile as Hello Beautiful filled our ears.

“So how does it feel to be a married woman now?”

“Not much different.” I said, shrugging my shoulders. “I just feel ready to burst from happiness is all now that butterflies are gone.”

“Did Bryan tell you where you’re going for your honeymoon yet?”

“No.” I said pouting. “He’s keeping it a total secret. He’ll probably blindfold me throughout the airport. Did he tell you?”

“Of course he did.”

“Jerk.” I scoffed, glancing over Dad’s shoulder at Bryan.

“You’ll have fun. I promise.” He said laughing. The song ended and Dad and I stepped off of the floor so Bryan and his mother could have their dance.

****

Joe’s POV

Lexi was out on the dance floor with Jake while Bryan danced with my mother. I sat at my table, a rum and coke in hand. As I swirled the glass and watched the ice I couldn’t help but remember that night twenty-three years ago.

“Come on,” I said, taking Lyss’ hand and walking towards the bar. “Two Cokes please.”

I watched carefully as the bartender got our drinks. I scrutinized every movement making sure he didn’t put anything in that wasn’t supposed to be there. I took them and thanked the bartender and we went to sit down.

“So far, so good, huh?” she asked, setting her Coke down.

“Yeah,” I said, placing my hand on her thigh and glancing around the ballroom, squinting my eyes slightly.

“Joe, look at me.” She said. I turned my head and my expression softened when I saw her worried one. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

“Lyss, I’m sorry. It’s just… I feel like something weird is going to happen.”

“Hon, nothing has happened yet. Don’t worry. Now come on, let’s go dance some more.” She said, standing up and taking my hand.

I twirled her out onto the dance floor and we danced for a good half hour straight. We tiredly went back to our table for our drinks. Lyss took a sip of hers and looked at me.

“Does it taste funny to you?” she asked.

“Nope,” I answered after taking a big gulp. I chugged the rest and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. She shrugged and finished her Coke and we sat and walked while we watched everyone else dance.

At one point, Nick and Lana came and sat with us while we were talking. My hand was resting on Lyss’ thigh. She leaned into me and I moved my hand up higher.

“What are you doing?” she hissed, her words mixing together.

“Lyss. I love you.” I mumbled, leaning over and kiss her. My tongue instantly ran along her lip and her mouth opened allowing it to slip in and wrestle with hers. Her hands wound around my neck and she tangled her fingers in my hair. My head pounded as we kissed but I ignored it. All I wanted was her and to feel this way, a fire in my stomach.


“Penny for your thoughts?” Nick asked, sitting next to me.

“Huh?” I asked, looking up from my glass. He wasn’t alone, Kevin and Frankie were here as well and they smiled as they sat down.

“What were you thinking about?” Kevin asked.

“Oh the night where Lyss and I… procreated.” I said, nodding towards Lexi. I held up my glass and they looked. “Rum and Coke.”

“Ah,” they chorused, giving me sympathetic looks.

“Shitty situation,” Frankie said. “But good result.”

“Yeah,” I said as I watched my kids together on the happiest day of my daughters’ life.

“You okay man?” Nick asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

“Yeah I’m fine. I’m just… I can’t believe things turned out so great after I lost Lyss. When she died… it was like I died too. But I had to stay strong for Lexi and Jake. All I wanted was for them to be happy so I did everything I could for them.

“Taking them away from the Hollywood life was the best thing I could ever do for them. Finding Stars Hollow was an amazing twist of fate or however you want to put it. They’re happy, they’re succeeding in life, and my baby girl’s married now.”

“It’s all so… surreal. Isn’t it?” Kevin asked, looking towards his own kids. Nick did the same, looking towards Lana and their children while Frankie looked at Carly and their little boy.

“Yeah kind of.” I said. The song ended and Lexi was returned to her husband. “There’s only one problem left.”

“What’s that?” Frankie asked.

“How much I’m going to miss her.” I whispered. I watched as she threw back her head in laughter while Bryan held her close to him. Time to let her go.
♠ ♠ ♠
LAST CHAPTER E-V-E-R for this story.

Only the epilogue left. I really think I might cry. Anyone have any thoughts on what the epilogue will be?

Ten points to whoever can find the Little Mermaid quote in here. It's not hard at all.

Thank you so much for reading. I'm not going to gush now. I'll save that for the epilogue. Leave your second to final comments for me. It will make me happy. :D

C/R/S

~Steph <3