Baby, I Think I Love You

Whatever Happened To Sportsmanship?

“Hey, baby,” Jasper said suddenly, leaving the nurse to sit at my other side. He threw his arm around my shoulder and—not so gently—jerked me closer to him, making me lean against him. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Edwin narrow his eyes.

Not that I was looking or anything...

“Careful, that hurt,” I whispered, grimacing.

“Right. Sorry.”

He smiled sweetly, kissing me suddenly. The nurse cleared her throat, obviously realizing that she had pegged Edwin and I all wrong. Jasper seemed content with his display, so he focused on the vampire with the lovely rack.

“So what exactly did she do to herself? Clarence just told me that she fell, but that can’t be it.”

“Well, she seemed to have fainted due to a tremendous amount of stress—perhaps a very big surprise. She hasn’t been having so much blood as of late, so fatigue also took its toll. Tell me, did she ever sleep at night?”

“No, she was always up with me... I didn’t know—” Jasper bit his lip. She only nodded.

“Anyway, while she was getting a bit dizzy, she managed to fall off of the bed and smack her head on hard wood, nearly snapping her neck in the process! And as for the small coma, well, fatigue and stress—most likely—are to blame. She should be okay now, so she can probably go home. I’ll just need to speak with Clarence.” She smiled before turning on her heel and leaving.

“Baby, about our fight the other night,” Jasper started, looking to me sadly. “I’m really sorry. I missed you so much, and I was so worried when Quinn called me. I blame myself for what happened.” He helped me onto his lap, kissing my neck. I nodded slightly, afraid to move too much.

“What fight?”

Jasper whipped his head over to look at Edwin. I could almost hear his good mood shatter into a million pieces as his eyes narrowed into mere slits.

“Nothing that we can’t get over,” he hissed, placing his lips on my collar bone and kissing it, all-the-while keeping his eyes on Edwin, his face twisted up in blatant annoyance.

“What did you do to my Jade?” Edwin demanded coldly, standing up. Surely that had slipped out.

“She’s mine now, boy,” he growled, pushing me off of him so he could stand. I winced, but helped myself sit up.

“You played dirty!”

“All’s fair in war, pretty boy!”

They were at each others’ throats, but there was nothing I could do. Thankfully Clarence walking in, Avery hanging on his arm and Monique beside him. She immediately ran to me, hugging me and thanking God that I was alive before hugging Jasper, stopping the fight that could have been. Edwin looked away from the sight of his daughter hugging her stepfather instead of him.

“Oh, it’s certainly been awhile, hasn’t it, Jade? And yet you still manage to damage yourself like there’s no tomorrow.”

I smiled, laughing at the joke. I got along so well with Edwin’s parents, but Jasper’s had wanted nothing to do with me...
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a random bit of information:

Anyone know why the short description says that sportsmanship died on July 13, 1954? Well, on that date Grantland Rice, the most widely read and respected American sports writer of the first half of the twentieth century, died. In a poem, he wrote that,
"For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost -
But how you played the Game."

Hope you enjoyed that entirely random bit of information =]