Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 13: Branded

The heavy silence that filled me was not a pleasant feeling.

I felt myself drifting in and out from light to dark, my mind swaying on the brink of consciousness.

I vaguely sensed movement outside of my body and I sensed that I wasn’t alone.
But I was completely at ease, the sinking calm feeling all too odd and out of place.

Who’s there?

I felt weak, drained and worn. I doubt that I would’ve been able to move even if I was fully conscious. I could feel my Pulse straining in my chest, and my lungs felt heavy, as if trying to fight off the dense weight that was crushing me.

What was going on?

I inhaled sharply when I felt something tear and give way across my skin. Cool air hit my bare chest and sank right through my ribs like a sudden shockwave. I realized then that my skin was still burning fiercely with pain and suddenly, that was all that was on my mind.
Whatever Taeri had done to me, it was worse than what I had originally thought; it was as if the flames were still dancing through my skin. I could feel the burn searing and spreading like wildfire, slowly but steadily consuming my ribs.

My muscles started to lock in place, my body instinctively trying to fight the threat.
My lungs wouldn’t expand, frozen despite the unbearable heat that was literally strangling me.

Deus… am I going to die?

I felt something welcomingly cool and soft press against my neck and cheek, my skin blazing in comparison. I flinched, expecting pain to flood through my body at the touch.
Nothing came.
My ears buzzed curiously as incoherent sounds broke through the silence, my mind unable to process the noise. Blurred colors and indistinct shapes filled my pulsing view, shifting like shadows behind a fog screen.

More sounds reached my ears, all of them sounding distant. But the urgency of the speaker’s tone was clear.

Who is it? I thought. What the hell do you want?

The soft and cool touch slid to my shoulders. It pressed lightly on my left, unburned side and I felt my body loosely move. I think I was being shaken. But at the same time it was impossible to tell; through this ordeal my mind was fighting against the pressing black void that threatened to swallow me whole.
I could feel my head just roll side to side, my skull grinding lightly on the ground as I moved involuntarily; I had no strength to even think about lifting my own hand up.

I can’t take this for much longer. I thought. It hurts like hell.

The pain only grew stronger still. I started to sink deeper into the dark abyss again, my eyes rolling to the back of my head.

What am I doing? Why do I have to feel this way?

No one answered in the thick black silence.

What would happen if I just let go?

A shot of cold thrill rippled through me, resonating deep into my black abyss.
Yea…why was I fighting this feeling? Why should I have to deal with this pain?
---I don’t need to feel this way.

I breathed out heavily, my lungs practically shaking in their effort.

Yea…who would notice, anyway? Who would even give a---

Something hard and cold slammed into my sternum, and with the heavy blow came this cold icy rush that shot through my veins. This thing---whatever it was---struck deep; I could feel the foreign Energy pierce and mix in with my own Pulse.
The searing sensation of the burn was blown completely out of the water in that instant.
I gasped and my back arched off the ground as shock and indescribable disbelief coursed through me. My eyes snapped open, and a flurry of colors flitted into my view.

Someone was looming over me, their face hidden deep inside what looked like a dark hood.

---Who are you?

Anxious, wary, yet intrigued and drawn, I felt myself gravitate towards this stranger.
Struggling against my heavy muscles, I raised my right arm in their direction.

Just as my fingertips were about to brush against the edge of the stranger’s hood, my tension broke and I blacked out.

* * * * *

The dark, isolating feel of my endless abyss was quiet and thick as ever. This was the one place I considered my place of absolute peace; my sanctuary.
Yet for once, this dark solitude was the last thing I needed.

Wordless emotions burned wildly in my chest, giving no room to allow for anything else. It seemed to consume all the space I had as if threatening to shred whatever was left of my physical body.
I could feel it raging in my chest, my head and under my skin with no end in sight.
I couldn’t find the source or reason for this; it was just there, coursing through my veins.

I threw my head back and roared, just letting it all rip right out of my chest.
The sound came out in silence, swallowed up in the abyss but Deus, did it feel good.

I don’t know how long I kept that up. But I couldn’t have cared less.
This was my space, my black isolation.
Who’s there to hear or care?

…You really are a persistent one…

I stopped, my soundless screaming abruptly cutting off in my throat at the silent phrase that rang out in the space.
That familiar prescence, calm demeanor, and that exasperated tone---

What are you doing here? I demanded.

I could practically picture her sighing and shaking her head.

…Persistent, loud, and clearly stubborn… she thought back.

I froze, my eyes instinctively scanning around me.
‘Loud’? I repeated in disbelief. You can hear me?
The she-conscience mused curiously.
…Who would have missed your cry of outrage at such volume?... she thought back.
It wasn’t a cry of outrage. I thought defensively. I just felt like yelling because---
I stopped, suddenly caught offguard.

Because…

Disbelief and bemusement shot through me at my lack of words to give a proper explanation. Yet my mind was going into a flashback of the burning pain, feeling of vulnerability, disgust---

The she-conscience seemed to muse thoughtfully again.
…You are furious… she noted, ever so in her casual mood.

I mentally snorted, rolling my eyes in the dark.
“Am not.” I argued.
…Really… the she-conscience mused.
I could sense the completely skeptical vibe in her prescence.
I’m not furious. I thought defensively. I was just yelling, just to yell.
…To relieve that smoldering burn within yourself… the she-counscience returned. …towards the person that managed to put you though unimaginable pain and suffering…

She then stopped, returning to silence for a few seconds. For some reason, I felt as if she was studying me, looking over my body and I studdenly felt very self-conscious.
Suddenly, I could feel her become stiff and cold.

…You have been Branded…

My thoughts broke off at the simple words of her thought, confused.
There was a slight edge in her thought, something that felt very uncharacteristic of her.
‘Branded’? As in like a ox? I asked.
The she-conscience’s prescence buzzed lowly, disturbance in her calm.
…To be Branded is to be labled by another, marked as their own personal property… she thought. …so yes, in a sense, very much like livestock...

I looked down at my body, scanning and searching for the mark the she-conscience was talking about.
What are you talking about? I demanded. There are no marks on me to even suggest that I was Branded.

A small pang of annoyance echoed through from somewhere in the dark.
…Your right arm… the she-conscience returned. …Do you not feel the foreign Energy coursing under your skin?...

My eyes fell on my right arm. It seemed normal and free of any wounds. But still…

Slowly and cautiously, I reached across with my left hand and took a grip on my right forearm.
The moment my fingers curled around my skin, a low, fierce roaring flooded into my ears. The air was sucked out of my lungs and the strength left my knees. Within seconds, I was down in a writhing, crumpled heap.

What th---

I couldn’t even finish my thought as a sudden, suffocating burn---and this ineffable pain took hold of me by my arm. There was no way of fighting it as it spread into my ribs.
Sharp, high-pitched ringing shot through the deep roar and struck my eardrums. I seized, my muscles rippling and spasing painfully.

!!!

My mind rocked and quaked out of control, pain taking over and striking everywhere and anywhere with the same sharp and blunt force. My hands gripped at my head, digging claws into my scalp. I must have been on the brink of my sanity when I felt this sick, skin-crawling draw come over me.

Deus---those green eyes---
---the way yo
u look at me and no one else---
LOOK AT ME!


I could practically feel her breathing down my neck, her hands creeping across my skin and all over my body…as Taeri’s twisted words echoed in my head.

……----Never forget---I’m always close---

---Release…

The command rang through the dark with a calm, cool yet strong and firm tone. A strong force passed through my chest and suddenly the heavy foreign Energy and pain was repelled right through my back. My lungs expanded and I inhaled sharply.

The voices; the flashback, the hands--- they were all gone.

I was still recovering when I noticed a light pressure that was lingering on my forehead. It was still starting to feel icy against my skull when it pulled away.

…It’s quite powerful, is it not?... the she-conscience thought casually but cooly.
What the hell was that? What did you do to me? I demanded.
…That was the girl’s Mark on you… she replied. It was causing you severe pain so I repelled its influence out temporarily…

She then seemed to sigh.

…Is it just a trial of bad fortune, or are you bound by some curse to be shadowed by all these mishaps?...

I scoffed, irritated.
This has nothing to do with luck or curses. I thought. Like you would know anything of the ‘mishaps’ I’ve had to deal with.
…Perhaps not. But I am not completely blind to them… the she-conscience mused. …We speak in a world of the mind where you have seeked me out. For whatever reason…
Don’t flatter yourself; I didn’t seek you out at all. I snapped. I don’t need you, I don’t want you---in fact, I want you out of my head.
I think the she-conscience sighed out in exasperation.
…You truly are a stubborn one… she thought. …You are in my mind, intruding into my field of subconscious…
Oh, I’m sorry; should I have knocked? I growled. I didn’t ask for this!
…And neither have I; I rather like my privacy… she replied steadily.

I grit my teeth, irritation bubbling.

It doesn’t matter. Either way, you are wrong now, just like you were the last time. I said flatly. I don’t need your help.
…You may not need my help, but this is not something one can handle on their own… she said seriously. …As long as her Mark is on your being, you will not be free from her curse…
Ugh, cut off the drama and drop this ‘curse’ thing already. I said. I can handle myself just fine.
…This is real; it is not something that will just go away by nature…

---And I’m the persistent and stubborn one?

I’m FINE. I nearly yelled. If I’m being burdened by anything, it is your nagging. I. DON’T. NEED. YOUR. HELP!

The she-conscience fell silent, and she didn’t give any form of reaction.
I felt myself practically on my toes, waiting for her to argue back. I was ready to snap back, throwing back anything she returned with.
She still said nothing.

HA! I barked, letting out a short humorless laugh. So now you’re quiet!

And I threw my head back and laughed.

My laugh came out soundless, humorless and empty in the black abyss.
This is crazy---I’m going crazy! Look at me; I’m talking and yelling at myself, to an imaginary being!
Frustration and anger was flooding over and I felt abnormally out of control. But I couldn’t give much of a damn.
Did you hear me? I bellowed out, thinking extra loud. You don’t exist!

I stopped, the sudden exertion of energy leaving me breathless.
The silence was thick and stiff; if I had a knife I could probably get a tangible slice out of the air in front of me.
But I knew she was there…I didn’t feel isolated or alone in the dark.

Hey, I’m talking to you. I know you can hear me. I thought, snarling in annoyance with every syllable.

Still no response….in emotion , feeling or thought.
I scoffed, shaking my head.
You are just--- I started.

Something…something cool and soft caressed the skin on my right arm, bringing my rampage to an abrupt stop.
I froze, caught completely off-guard.
A physical sensation was something I never experienced in the dark abyss; why would I?
I was floating alone in the dark…what could I possibly touch?
---What could possibly touch me?

I felt the same touch curl gingerly around my wrist and slowly and carefully lift my arm up.

The touch itself was very cautious and calculated; as if any stronger and I would shatter. Even though the touch was barely there…

Why? I thought.
I thought hard, trying to find reason behind the sudden sensation.

---The burn?

A sudden shot of realization ripped through me and I stared down at my arm.
There was no pain, or marks to even suggest I have ever been burned. It was as if I already healed.

What are you doing? I thought. Are you, uh, un-Branding me?

The she-conscience didn’t respond, but the touch remained.

Hey…hey---

A cold rush of air, gentle yet definite skimmed across the skin of my forearm, deliberate and controlled. It moved slowly and staedily up my arm, leaving my skin pleasantly icy and tingly.
The breeze was very faint, soft like someone’s cool breath against my skin.
All I could do was just stay still in awe.

The breeze reached my shoulder and brushed against my neck.
I shivered, an inexplicable thrill shooting through me---

Just like that, the light touch and the soft breeze was gone.
The feeling of isolation returned, and suddenly I knew; I was alone.

Hey…Are you still there? I thought.
My eyes flew open in the dark, searching for that calm and gentle prescence.

…She-conscience?

Silence replied, my thoughts ringing in the dark.
I was all alone.

The dark abyss came back to life, the low roaring growing louder and louder---

* * * * *

I inhaled sharply, and my eyes flew open.

I was lying on my stomach, my right cheeck resting on something soft and smooth. My surroundings were dark, but I could make out some shapes in the lightless space.

Where was I?

My breathing was loud in the quiet space, coming out ragged and heavy. My heart seemed to be pounding in my head as I took time to take it all in.

I know this place.

Slowly and cautiously, I pushed myself off my stomach and pulled myself onto my hands and knees. The surface under me slightly gave way to the pressure of my hands, but maintained its solid shape.

Hey, I know this feeling…

Still moving slowly and with caution, I turned my body over so I was sitting.
A weird ache struck and came over me, catching me off-guard. I winced; sore pain pulsating through my muscles.
Why the hell did I feel this way? I’m never sore…
My whole body felt oddly worn, dull and sore, making my movement sluggish and heavy.
I grunted and I forced myself to sit up so I could take a look around.

And my confusion deepened when I found myself in my own bedroom.

How the hell did I get back to my room?
Bemusement ran through my head, my mind unable to piece things together.
What the hell happened?

Think, Zavius…think.

I took a deep breath and rubbed my temple, trying to stimulate some sort of memory shock, or anything to clear up this fog over my head.

The last immediate memory that came to the surface was heading to the Library to go find my misplaced book.
…And I found Thya there. We chatted, Thya doing most of the talking…she forced a book on me to read---

The books.

A swift pang of panic shot through me and I scanned around for the two books.
I had the books when I walked out of the Library…and then…
Crud! I can’t remember when I had them last---

My eyes caught my bedside stand and saw a small square shadow that was unfamiliar in my bedroom setting.
Two thick-volumed books rested one on top of another in a neat pile, occupying the otherwise clear surface.
I reached over and grabbed the books without another thought.

The titles Immortal Perception and Discovered Senses and History of Galiasis was visible even in the poor lighting.

A feeling of unease came over me as I scrambled to remember, trying to picture myself making it back to my dwelling, waltzing into my bedroom and collapsing onto my bed but not before placing the two books on my bedside stand in a neat pile. I took care to place these book in such manner, but didn’t bother kicking my shoes off or changing---wait a minute…
I looked down at my current attire, bewildered.
---Where the fuck was my shirt?

I swore under my breath, shaking my head in disbelief.

No…I’m a pig; a total sob.
I would’ve just dropped the books anywhere---

---Dropped.

I remember…

I was free-falling, waiting for a smooth landing on the ground level of the obstacle course.
And then---

I heard it; a deep loud roar, and felt the sting of my skin as it was suddenly overwhelmed by an impossible heat.
A force, not solid but powerful collided into me, sucking in my right arm.

I heard the singe of my hair and the bright orange red blaze flooded my view before I felt the searing pain…

I couldn’t get up from the twisted heap I was in…

My voice was stuck in my throat as I heard her come closer. Just a foot away, she stopped…


Taeri.

Suddenly, a sharp ringing filled my whole head, and my sight was sucked into tunnel vision.
I hissed, and blistering, stabbing and slicing pain abruptly swelled in my right arm.
Vardavit!” I swore.
I gripped my right arm by the shoulder, my fingers digging into my flesh as if trying to strangle out the excruciating pain.
As if that was doing anything to help.

What the hell was this? Where the hell was this pain coming from?

The memories were flooding back now in a flood that I couldn’t suppress.
The ambush, the flames…the burns and the pain…
The anger, disgust, humiliation…and fear.

And then…and then…

…Water. There was water.

I gasped, snapping out of my thoughts. The mind-splitting pain was gone, and my arm seemed to be back to normal.
But my attention was elsewhere.

The last few seconds, just moments before I blacked out… someone was there.
Someone…someone…

No matter how hard I tried to remember, no face came to mind.
Just this mysterious rustling sound, and a sea of black fabric that had swept into my view before everything went quiet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!!

Ugh…this was a very tricky chapter to write for some reason, so I will understand if you didn’t get a certain specific part of what happened. I tried to show the difference of stability/instability in text…I hope it worked out okay for you guys visually.
I also know it may seem very rushed, so if you are confused, tell me, and I will explain better or fix the wording so it flows better!

Also, if you pick up anymore spelling/grammar errors, and you probably will, please let me know!!

Any question comments, please don’t hesitate!!