When I Look At You

A Cake & A Fake

Faith waved to Joe as he pulled out of the driveway before turning to the door and unlocking it. Once she opened it she heard the music coming from the speaker system. With a sigh she slipped her shoes off and left her bag by the door, walking across the soft carpet into the living room. Nick’s back was to her as he looked through his CDs and she stood with her arms crossed. The music stopped as he switched CDs and she cleared her throat. He spun around and smiled when he saw her standing there.

“Hey babe!” he said, putting the cases down on the coffee table and walking over to her with arms open.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.” She said, holding a hand out, pressing it against his chest stopping him from getting any closer. His smile faded and he lowered his arms, given his wife a concerned look.

“Faith, what’s w-”

“What’s wrong?” she asked, raising her voice slightly. “You want to know what’s wrong?”

“Uh… yeah?” he said quietly, his eyebrows scrunching together.

“What’s wrong is that you missed the exhibit last night. One of the most important nights of your brother’s life and you weren’t there. Have you checked your phone lately? Joe and I left you countless messages and you never bothered to respond. God forbid something was wrong, we wouldn’t want to worry you.” she shouted, throwing her arms in the air.

“Whoa, calm down.”

“Don’t tell me to calm down Nick! I was worried about you. How would you feel if I was supposed to meet you somewhere a few hours away and didn’t show up?”

“I’d be scared to death.” He admitted, stuffing a hand in his pocket. Faith scoffed and headed toward the kitchen. “Faith! Don’t walk away.”

“Tell me, Nick.” She said, spinning around, stopping him in his tracks. “Tell me what was so important that you couldn’t come to support your brother. Tell me what was so important that you couldn’t check your phone. Tell me what was so important that you couldn’t call me to apologize when I hadn’t spoken to you in almost twenty four hours.”

“Okay, listen, I’m sorry. I’ll call Joe and apologize. We just got carried away in the studio. My phone was on silent and we were in there until one in the morning doing non-stop recording and writing. I completely forgot and it will never happen again.” He said stepping closer and she backed up.

“Apologizing doesn’t make everything okay, Nick.” She whispered. “You know that, right?”

“Yes.” He said sincerely.

“You are calling Joe in an hour as well as your parents. I still can’t believe you did this. This is your family we’re talking about, Nick.”

“Faith, I get it.” he said crossly.

“Don’t even think about raising your voice at me, Nicholas.” She said, pursing her lips together. It was silent for a moment as the two stared determinedly at each other. Finally, Nick let out a sigh and ran a hand through his curls.

“You must be exhausted. Go upstairs, unpack, and change into something comfortable. I’ll make dinner.” He said. Faith relaxed her muscles and slowly walked past Nick, grabbing her bag by the door and heading upstairs.

****

“Hello?” Faith asked, answering the phone and heading over to the refrigerator to get some milk for the cookies she was making.

Hi sweetheart, it’s me.” Denise said and Faith smiled.

“Hi Mom, what’s up?” she asked, grabbing a measuring cup.

Well, as you know next week is Joseph’s twenty-seventh birthday.

“Yes it is.”

Kevin and I would like to have a little party here at the house for him. Frankie said he’ll take care of the music. Kevin and Danielle are going to go shopping for some party supplies. I was wondering if you and Nicholas could handle the cake.

“Sure, we’d love to.” She said as Nick walked in the door. He came in and gave her a kiss on the cheek, taking a glob of cookie dough out of the bowl.

“What would we love to do?” he asked. Faith held up a finger, telling him to wait.

Next Saturday, the thirteenth at seven o’clock.

“Alright, sounds good. We will be there next Saturday with a cake.” Faith said with a smile.

Alright. Give my son a kiss for me. Goodbye.

“Bye,” Faith said, hanging up the phone.

“What would we love to do?” Nick repeated, hopping up onto the counter next to Faith. She laughed and shoved him off.

“Take care of a cake for Joe’s birthday party next Saturday.” She answered, spooning the dough onto a baking sheet.

“Okay, I’ll pick one up on our way to the party.”

“Um, I don’t think so.” She said, swatting his hand away as he reached towards the bowl again.

“Why not?”

“Because we’re going to bake him a cake. You know how much he hates those store cakes.”

“He does?”

“Yes, Nick. They’re too sweet for him.”

“Oh, okay. How about… a chocolate praline crunch cake?” He suggested.

“Nick… Joe hates pralines.” She said, putting the sheet into the oven.

“Oh… um…”

“I’ll just make a white cake with a mocha frosting filling with butter cream frosting on the outside. That’s his favorite.”

“How do you know?”

“When everyone was helping to plan the wedding, he was the one who went cake tasting with me and he really liked that one.” She said, starting to clean up.

“Okay.” Nick said, shrugging his shoulders and heading upstairs.

****

“Nick, let me carry it.” Faith said, shadowing Nick as he headed toward the front door.

“I’ve got it.” he said as he carried the very large cake in his hands.

“Nicholas Jerry Jonas I swear to God if you drop that cake I will severely injure you.” she said, opening the door for him. She grabbed Joe’s present from the side table and followed Nick outside, locking the door behind her.

“Just unlock the car.” He said with a laugh. Faith hit the button and opened the passenger door for Nick.

“Are you going to buckle your seatbelt?” she asked, standing with the door open, staring down at Nick.

“And risk ruining the cake?” he asked, looking up at her. She rolled her eyes and closed the door, walking around to the driver’s side.

“If we get pulled over and the cop sees you not wearing your seatbelt…”

“First of all, what could you possibly be doing to get us pulled over? You drive like a sixty year old woman. You’re always so cautious. Secondly, Mom and Dad’s house is like, twenty minutes away. We’ll be fine.”

Faith pulled out of the driveway and headed over to her in-law’s house. As she drove Nick talked about the latest song he was working on with the band. She responded appropriately but her heart wasn’t completely in the conversation. What was really on her mind was whether or not Joe would like their gift. Well… technically her gift. Nick wasn’t sure what Joe would want since he pretty much had everything so Faith had to think of something. So, as a last resort, she made a mixed CD of some of her favorite songs, hoping Joe would love them as much as she did.

She pulled up along the curb in front of Denise and Kevin Sr.’s house. Frankie opened the door when he heard the car and waved as Faith and Nick made their way up the pathway. They stepped inside to see Kevin and Danielle setting up the table. Faith placed the gift on the coffee table next to the others and entered the kitchen, Nick behind her with the cake.

“It smells great in here, Mom.” Nick said, setting the cake down on the counter.

“Thank you,” she said, kissing each of them on the cheek. “Faith, this cake looks beautiful.”

“Thanks,” she said, smiling at her mother-in-law.

“She was working on it for hours.” Nick said.

“Well it looks worth it.”

“I just hope it tastes as good as it looks.” Faith said. She turned her head when she heard the door open.

“Birthday boy in the house!” Joe cried, walking through to the kitchen. Denise walked over and embraced him in a hug, kissing his cheeks.

“Happy Birthday man,” Nick said, giving him a hug.

“Hey, Faith.” Joe said with a smile, walking over and giving his sister-in-law a hug.

“Happy Birthday!” she said, kissing his cheek. As he pulled back Faith heard Joe clear his throat before turning to his father.

****

“Faith, this cake is amazing.” Joe said as he took a bite of his second piece of cake.

Faith smiled from where she sat next to Nick. His arm was around her shoulders with his fingers gently stroking up and down her arm. Nick leaned in and pressed his lips to the side of her head which she leaned against his chest.

“I’m glad you like it.” she said, squeezing Nick’s knee. Joe gave a half smile before focusing on the cake in his hands, trying to divert his gaze from the affection before him.

“So do you want your gifts or…” Kevin said jokingly.

“You really didn’t have to get me anything.” Joe said, setting down his plate.

“Of course we did.” Denise said with a smile. “It’s your birthday and on your birthday you get a gift.”

“Well thank you.” he said as he opened his gift from his parents. Faith watched, biting her lip as he went from Kevin and Danielle’s present to hers and Nick’s. “Wow… I’ve never heard any of these songs. Thanks guys.”

“No problem.” Nick said and Faith had to suppress the urge to roll her eyes. No matter how much she loved Nick he really was an idiot sometimes.

“I hope you like them.”

“I’m sure I’ll love them.” He said, flashing her a smile before going to Frankie’s present.

Faith was aware of Nick’s fingers twirling her hair. She was also aware of his breath on her neck. But most of all she was aware the look that Joe had given her after Nick had said no problem. Almost as if he knew that Nick had nothing to do with the gift at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay new chapter :D
Yay for being back at college :D
Boo for the fact that it will now take longer to get chapters out :( I'm sorry if it does, just be patient with me :)

Dudessss I'm at 91 comments for this story. I have a feeling we'll make it to 100 with this chapter. Who will get the 100th comment I wonder... hmmmm

Don't forget to check out the Bring Mibba Back Awards. If you nominate me let me know! I'd love to thank anyone who does XD

So what do we think is going to happen next with this story?

Thanks so much for reading!

~Steph <3