‹ Prequel: Were So Broken
Status: EDITING. RE-POSTING. HANG IN THERE!

Broken

Chapter 7

As Reno walked back towards the bus, she reflected on the last few days. It seemed that they had all fallen into a pattern; she organized the bus and the boys, as well as herself, whilst Antz and Se7en got drunk or high. It wasn't’t that she minded shopping for the food, or putting it away, or even tidying the bus, she just wished that they would help out a bit more. But then again, she mused as she walked, they were boys so they were bound not to be house trained. Reno giggled at the thought ‘house-trained’ put in her mind- Antz and Se7en acting like little puppies that hadn't yet learned the rules of the house. That’s quite amusing, she thought, chuckling away as she opened the bus door.

Remembering her earlier conversation with Se7en, she decided to go and find him to see if he was still stoned. If he wasn't, maybe he would want to hang out with her now. She hoped so. She found him sitting at the back of the bus, staring up at the ceiling, lost in thought. He looked so innocent sitting there, that she decided to not to startle him by her usual plonking herself down beside him. Instead, she quietly padded up to him, and gently settled herself onto the seat next t him. He didn't even stir. Mission accomplished, she thought.

“Hey” she said quietly
.

He didn't respond.

Okay, she thought. “What you up to?”

“Jus’ thinking” he slurred. Still high then, Reno concluded.

“Oh.” She was sure that he was still too busy getting stoned to want to hang out with her. Disappointed, she decided to settle for the next best thing- a conversation. “About what?”

“Nothing.” Reno nearly laughed out loud at that. How can you think about nothing? Her thoughts were interrupted when Se7en spoke again.

“Did you want something?”

Her heart sank when she realized that that was a hint for her to clear off and leave him alone. She looked down at her hands, and relied softly

“No. Not really.” She got up just as gently as she had sat down, and walked quietly out of the back of the bus. He watched her go, her head down, hands in her pockets, getting the impression that she was disappointed. He wondered what the reason for that was, but, getting no ideas from his weed-riddled brain, he shook it off and carried on smoking his joint.

Reno walked into the kitchen area, where Antz was staring at the kettle expectantly. Reno watched him in interest. She nearly burst out laughing when she realized that he was attempting to make a coffee- he’d filled the kettle, and flicked the switch, but he hadn't realized that it was switched off at the mains. Antz was waiting for a kettle to boil that was never going to boil. She restrained her giggles, as he would have been offended, and this was the first time that she had ever seen him try to do something for himself in the kitchen. Remembering her earlier thought about wishing the boys would help out a bit more, she decided to help him without offending him.

“Hey Antz.”

“Oh, hey Rizzo” he smiled at her.

She waited for him to mention the kettle. That way, he would be asking for her help, instead of her pointing out his mistake, and bruising his fragile male ego.

“Um, Lil’ Rizz...” he hesitated.

“What’s up Antz?”

“I think our kettle is broken.” Bingo, she silently cheered.

“Let’s have a look at it.” She went over to it, and looking at Antz’s concerned face, she decided to be subtle. She shook the kettle, careful enough not to spill any water, but firmly enough to make it look like she was trying to fix it. As she placed it back on its cradle, she blocked the view of the kettle and the mains switch, so Antz didn't see her flick it on. The kettle immediately lit up.

“Rizzo, you’re a genius!” he exclaimed. Reno shook her head, embarrassed.

“Nah. It was nothing.” she protested.

“What would we do without you, hey?” Antz laughed. Reno smiled. At least Antz appreciated her efforts. She helped him make the coffee, deciding to have one herself. They sat at the table in silence.

“Hey Lil’ Rizzo, do you want to go out for a bit?”

Reno looked up at Antz in surprise. Usually, he never wanted to leave the bus unless it was to get more weed or booze.

“Uh, sure. What you got in mind?” she replied hesitantly.

“I dunno, a walk? We could say hey to some of the other bands if you want? I’m bored of being on the bus.” He laughed again.

“Good idea” she smiled at the thought of Antz going for a walk. Somehow, she knew he’d get bored of walking within fifteen minutes. Still, he had a point- there was only so long you could stay on the bus until you were bored out of your mind. No wonder the boys resorted to beer and weed.

“What about Se7en? Should we ask if he wants to come with us?” she asked anxiously. If she couldn't’t spend time alone with Se7en, spending any time with him would be better than nothing, she reasoned. Besides, the fresh air would do him some good.

“Nah, leave him. He’s alright in there. He won’t want to come anyway” Antz replied.

They set off. The sun was out, Reno was glad she hadn't’t brought her hoodie with her- it was far too warm. Antz immediately saw some guys that he knew, and he dragged Reno over to them.

~ **** ~ **** ~ **** ~

Half an hour later, they started walking back to the bus. Reno had been bored by the boys conversation, and had turned her thoughts to Se7en- what was he doing now? Was he still high? She hoped not.

All of a sudden, she stopped dead in her tracks. Antz looked at her in surprise.

“What’s up Rizzo?” he asked in concern.

Reno put her hand in her pocket. Please, she prayed. It wasn't there. The lyrics she had written earlier that morning had fallen out at some point over the day. She looked up at Antz in horror.

“Reno, what is wrong?” Antz used her full name- he was worried.

“It’s gone” she whispered. Antz looked confused. “The lyrics I wrote earlier-I need them back. No one can see them!” she stammered. He looked at her, his face confused yet understanding.

“Let’s go and find them” he said, seeing her terrified expression. Truth be told, he was surprised that Reno wrote lyrics, but he said nothing at seeing her panic-stricken, wide-eyed face. He wondered what the lyrics were about to make her so worried. Knowing Reno, he thought, it is something private and personal. He wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulder, and prayed that no one read her private musical thoughts- he didn't want anyone or anything to upset their proud, shy Lil’ Rizzo.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it!

- Thanks for writing it for mee!

EDITED.