Hello My Name Is...

The Third Tragedy

ART CLASS....

Seth wasn't sure what to think of his life now. The police came and arrested his father for domestic violence yesterday. They took him into custody, and had questioned him at length. He wasn't going to get away with it, there were too many witnesses and evidence. He had always been afraid of losing his family, his mother especially. Instead of putting him in a foster home, they talked to his mother, who agreed to get counseling and help with her alcoholism. If she could successfully complete her meetings and maintain soberness for an allotted amount of time, she could have the right to remain with Seth. Although Seth wasn't considered a minor anymore, he still wanted to be with his mother. He felt this was the beginning of a new life for himself and his family. In a few weeks, he could testify against his father and send that man to jail on various charges. Who knows, maybe Seth could get his brother out of jail now.

Elle was standing only a few feet from him, working on a painting with oil paints, while Seth worked on a charcoal portrait. She didn't know it, but he wanted to thank her by making this beautiful portrait of her. He was having trouble with it though, he didn't have any photos of her to use as a referencing tool, and she kept moving about, making his portrait difficult.

Elle noticed his constant stares and observations of her. She became suspicious and walked over to see what he was up to.

"What are you doing?" she asked, peeking over his shoulder.

"Nothing! Go away!" he said nervously, trying to cover up his project.

"C'mon, lemme see it!" Elle said, trying to push him out of the way.

"No! It's not finished!" Seth cried out, playfully shoving her away.

Elle tickled him, causing him to drop his elbows down to shield his targeted ribs. Elle looked down at his easel, seeing the sharp and graceful edgings, shadings, and smudging of a portrait. She recognized the elegant eyes, lips, nose, and ears. It was her!

She stopped tickling him to gaze at this fine work of art, this masterpiece. She gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth.

"Oh my God....Seth..." she whispered.

"I'm sorry, it's not done, and it must look horrible. I'm sorry," Seth said, embarrassed and nervous.

"No no, it's...it's beautiful. It's amazing, and I love it! Thank you so much Seth...I mean...this says so much to me without you saying anything. Oh my God...I don't know what to say.." Elle said, her hands on her cheeks in utter disbelief.

"You don't have to say anything, it's me saying thank you," Seth said softly.

"Thank you Seth...there's a lot...that I've been wanting to say to you. I've been wanting to..tell you for a long time now. I think I've finally gotten up the nerve to-."

Her sentence was interrupted by a loud sound, followed by another. Soon, that sound was heard constantly.

"What in the hell?!" Seth said, standing up and moving towards the doorway.

"What is that noise?!" Elle asked, walking up next to him.

"I don't know, but I'm going to go see! Be right back!" Seth said as he darted through the door.

"Seth, wait!" Elle called out to him, but he ignored her.

Elle looked around, the class had heard it too, but had ignored it and went back to work. The teacher was sitting next to another student, helping them with their sculpture. Elle took a deep breath, and rushed out of the door.

Seth ran quickly towards the noise. The noise sounded odd, a muffled 'Crump' or 'Paw-pop' sound. To him, it sounded like someone was dropping heavy sand bags on the ground, or a paintball gun. He was anxious mixed with a little fear. He ran around the Tech Ed wing, making his way into the main building. The noise was closer now as he neared the red double doors. He saw a figure run by, he looked familiar. He heard more of those sounds, louder now as they neared him. He saw a figure walk past the doors, dark sunglasses and a large military backpack strapped on. Seth saw the glint of something in the strangers hand, and when that stranger fired it, Seth realized it was a gun.

"Hey!" Elle said in a hushed tone as she ran up to Seth.

Seth turned to her and motioned for her to go back, "Get out of here! It's not safe!"

Elle protested, "What's going on?!"

Seth shook his head, "Just get out of here damn it! Go, get!"

Elle shoved Seth hard,, "Is something happening?!"

Seth grabbed her shoulders and gave her a stern shake, "Get out of here now before you get killed!"

Those words scared her, she looked at him wide eyed, and nodded. He released her, and she ran back towards the art building. Now with her out of the way, Seth quietly opened the doors and snuck in.

Another gunshot shook him, followed by another. The place smelt horrid, of cordite and gunpowder. Spent bullet casings were littered about, and a hazy smoke clouded the hallway. Seth edged toward the corner and peeked around it. He saw that dark figure approaching someone who was laying on the floor. From what Seth saw, the person was bleeding, writhing, and screaming. He seemed to be not only screaming in pain and fear, but at someone Seth couldn't see. The shooter dropped an empty magazine, and loaded a fresh one. Seth looked harder, and saw a faint figure in the distance, down the hallway. It was a girl! The shooter raised his weapon again, took aim...

Seth wasn't sure why he did it, maybe the principle was right. Maybe Seth did hate seeing weaker people being hurt and bullied. He had gotten to his feet and ran up on the shooter, throwing himself into the shooters back. Both of them toppled over, the gun clattering and sliding down the hallway. Seth looked over at the wounded boy, the girl had ran up to him and was helping him escape. Good, his plan worked, now he had to get out of there before..

The shooter backhanded Seth hard across the face, sending him sprawling into the lockers. Dazed, Seth watched as the attacker reached into his backpack to pullout a large hunting knife.

"You! You did this to me! You and that fagot emo, and that God Damned nigger!" the stranger screamed at Seth.

Seth stared up at the figure, still not sure who it was. The stranger leapt at Seth, the knife poised and aimed at his stomach. Seth rolled to the side, avoiding the attack, and followed up with a kick to the attackers face. The attacker cried out in pain and rage as he leapt at Seth once again.

The school PA system kicked on, "Attention all students and faculty! Stay in your rooms and lock your doors! Stay away from the windows! This is not a drill! The police have been called and are on their way! I repeat..."

The attacker swiped at Seth with the knife, badly cutting Seth's left arm by the bicep. Seth cried out in pain, clutching his wounded arm. The attacker smiled, then leapt again at him, knocking him over. The attacker thrust the knife at Seth's face, which Seth blocked with a hand. The blade sank deep into his outstretched palm, impaling it. Seth screamed and screamed, but managed to kick the attacker off of him. As Seth laid there, writhing in the excruciating pain, the attacker calmly walked over to his misplaced gun. He bent over casually, grasping it tightly in his hand. His back was turned to Seth, he was taking his time in killing this boy.

"Seth! Oh my God!" screamed someone who happened upon the scene.

The attacker turned to face a girl knelt next to Seth, cradling his head. She saw the attacker advancing, and stood up to block his path.

"Stay away! Don't you dare hurt him!" the girl screamed.

The attacker smiled, ignoring the girls pleas and empty threats.

Seth outstretched his one good hand, "No Elle! Stop it! Get out of here! You have to get out of here now!"

Elle ignored his screams, she stood resolute and adamant. She would defend the man she loved, even if it killed her.

The attacker fired. He shot her again and again and again. Seth watched in silent horror as she was blown back, buffeted by the bullets slamming into her fragile body. He watched her stagger backwards, then crumpling to the floor. She lay there, her eyes fluttering, her legs and arms twitching as she went into shock. Seth screamed in anguish, he crawled over to her and cradled her head in his lap.

"You stupid stupid girl! Why?! Why did you do that?! What good did that do?! What the fuck?!" he screamed at her.

"I...love you...Seth...s-sorry...for..f-for..piss..you...of-f-f," she sputtered, her eyes vacant and glazed.

She managed a weak smile as blood bubbled out of her mouth, "I..lo..love you Seth...ish..why you ..are..alive...ha..ha.."

Seth whimpered, an inhuman moan escaped his lips as he glared at his attacker with a rage.

"Mother fucker!!!" Seth screamed as he rose to his feet.

"Fuck you skater fag.." the attacker said with a smirk and pulled the trigger.

"Click"

The shooter had a look of confusion on his face, he pulled the trigger again.

"Click, Click, Click..click..click.."

Seth saw his chance, he ran up on the attacker, head butting him hard in the nose. The attacker stumbled backwards, clutching his now bleeding broken nose. He had a look of fear in his eyes as the berserk boy collided into him again, knocking them both to the floor.
They scrambled around, rolling on top of each other, each landing punches. The attacker punched hard, but not as hard as Seth was. The attacker knew his punches were useless, for this guy was beyond feeling any physical pain.

Seth cried out in pain though, as the attacker withdrew the impaled knife from Seth's palm. He kicked Seth off of him to get some distance. As Seth writhed with his wounded hand, the attacker rose to his feet, preparing to stab Seth once again.

"Stop, Police! Drop the knife!"

Seth and the attacker turned to face the two police officers, now standing at the end of the hall, weapons drawn. The attacker ignored them, and started to slowly move towards Seth.

"Stop or we will shoot!"

The attacker kept advancing, a crazed look in his eye.

"Fire!"

Two well placed shots took out the attackers kneecaps, dropping him instantly. He cried out in pain and anger, writhing and clutching his destroyed knees.

"Kill me! Kill me! Fucking kill me now!" he screamed.

The police ran up and restrained the crazed boy, handcuffing him and dragging him away from Seth and the wounded girl. They called for back up and an ambulance.

Seth crawled over to Elle, who was now laying still, her eyes open and unblinking.

"Elle..?" Seth whispered.

Nothing.

"Elle?" Seth said a little louder and urgently.

Still nothing.

"Elle please...wake up..." Seth whimpered.

He knew she was gone.

"Elle....Elle..," he cried over and over as he pulled the dead girl close to him.

He laid his head on her cold blood soaked shoulder and wept.

It took three paramedics to pry him away from her body....