Hello My Name Is...

That Final Flicker Of A Dying Flame

SETH'S BEDROOM.....

Seth went to school, as always. He didn't know why he even bothered. He made it a point to not to walk by the place where she had died. He wanted to burn her portrait, to never lay eyes on that pretty face that he was too much of a fool to admit his feelings to. He wanted her back, to be alive and well in his embrace. He missed her.

He laid in bed, in his dark room. His mother was out at her AA meeting, his father was doing his time in jail for his crimes. If things hadn't turned out like they had, Seth would be a happy individual. But that was not the case, nor would it ever be now.

Seth had rushed to the hospital for his wounds. He had his hand and arm sewn up, the only long term effects were the loss of sensation in his right hand. Even with stitching, he was left with a nasty scar, a reminder. He gave up crying, he gave up feeling anything. He never talked now, never interacted with anyone. The only reason he continued going to school, was out of habit. He had nowhere else to go otherwise.

"Elle, my Elle, " he whispered to himself.

He knew she wouldn't answer his call, she was gone. He rolled onto his side, feeling heavy and useless. He wished he could have spent more time with her, more time to tell her how he had felt about her. It took her death for him to realize that he had loved her just as much as she had loved him. He bit down hard on a finger, to silence a cry, he refused to cry.

He looked over at the unfinished charcoal portrait he had of her sitting in the corner of his room. He had her skateboard there was well, propped up next to his. Her mother wanted him to have it, they had met at the funeral. Handshakes and hugs, tears and good-byes. He had nothing to say, and her mother didn't expect much.

Now, staring at the portrait, he spoke to it, "Elle, I wish you were here right now, next to me."

The portrait did not answer, only staring blankly at him. Her pleasant smile, only a shell of her former self.

"Elle, I wish...I wish I could have told you all these things that I'm telling you now. I never got to tell you how much I appreciated you helping me with my family. I never..." he began to cry, "i never go to tell you...how much you meant to me, and how I loved you. You were the only good thing in my life."

He wiped his face with his hand, giving in to the sobbing and quite darkness that was the cocoon of his room.

"It's okay Seth, I already know."

Seth sat up, unsure of who had just spoken to him. He was alone wasn't he?

"Don't be afraid Seth, it's me, Elle. I love you too, you know that silly!" the voice said again.

Seth looked around desperately, "Who's talking to me?! This is insane! Am I going crazy?!"

The voice spoke again, "No Seth, you're not crazy. It's me, Elle. I'm here for you. Just look at my portrait, I'll always be with you."

Seth stared hard at the portrait, but saw no movement or anything out of the ordinary, "What's going on? Are you talking to me from heaven?!"

"No Seth, I'm in your head. No one can hear me but you. It's okay, I'm here now. Rest, relax, sleep," the voice chided.

Seth was still uneasy, afraid even, "I know I'm going crazy! I'm hearing a...a dead girl's voice in my head!"

"Yes, I am dead. As you will be one day. But for now, why not enjoy each others company?"

Seth laid back down, looking all around himself nervously. He searched the shadows, every nook and cranny of the room.

"Close your eyes my love. I'm there, just think of me and I'm there."

Seth did as he was told, closing his eyes and picturing her. He saw her standing there, her back to him. She slowly turned, her hair moving slowly around her beautiful face, like a curtain lifting. She smiled and walked towards him.

Seth smiled, he felt suddenly warm and uplifted. He felt her hand touch his, her soft lips touching his brow, his forehead, soothing him. He touched her cheek, her lips, completely awestruck by her presence.

"Are you real?" he gasped.

"I'm as real as you want me to be Seth."

She leaned forward and kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him closer. Her lips were soft and sweet, he pulled her closer still.

"Elle, I just wanted to say...."

"Shh.." Elle said, silencing him with another soft kiss, "Later. I have to go now.."

"Wait! Stop!" Seth cried out as he watched her slowly move away from him, "Don't leave me again!"

He instinctively reached out for her with his scarred hand, desperately trying to catch her fleeting image before she disappeared into the inky darkness that was his room.
He opened his eyes, finding himself alone again. He sat up, bringing his hands to his face, and sobbed.

"I just wanted to say...that I love you..."