Hello My Name Is...

Comfort And Joy

DRIVING TO ALICE'S HOUSE....

The dance had been fun, a chance to unwind.. Even William seemed to have had fun there.
Ricky had pulled Davey over earlier that night to apologize to him.

"Look, I was wrong man. I deserved that ass kicking that you gave me, I had no idea you had it in you. Ever since you and her got together, well, you've become a better person. A person I wish I could strive to be."

Those words meant a lot to Davey, and he was more than happy to welcome Ricky back as a friend. That had been when James started being a dick. Ricky had to tell Davey not to throw any punches, or he'd be suspended again. Davey reluctantly agreed.

"Davey, do you love me?"

Alice's question snapped Davey back into the present, he was driving her home.

"Excuse me?" he asked.

"Do you love me?" she asked again, looking straight ahead down the road.

Davey wasn't quite sure where this sudden topic had come from. Yes, he had deep feelings for her, but he wasn't necessarily sure if it was called 'Love'.

She continued, "Cause I'll understand if you don't. I mean, from all that James said about me and all, and what he's done to your car...I'll understand if you don't feel the same way."

Before they had gotten in the car, they found "emo", "Whore", and "Freak", keyed into his car paneling. Davey was furious since it was his parents car, not his. He knew it'd be expensive to fix, and most likely get him in trouble. For the first few minutes of the drive home, they both sat in complete silence.

"It's not your fault, and it's not that at all," Davey said, placing a reassuring hand on hers.

She moved his hand to her leg, gently massing his knuckles and fingers. He felt her eyes on him, starting intently.

He looked over at her and smiled nervously, "What?! What is it Alice?"

She began to frown, which then turned to tears, and finally to crying and sobbing. Davey was confused, why was she crying all of a sudden?!

"What's wrong?! Are you okay?!" he asked, trying to comfort her while keeping his concentration while driving.

"No, no. It's okay, really. Just, those things James said, really hurt is all. I didn't mean to give my virginity to a complete asshole like that! And now, you know and probably hate me or think I'm a total whore! And I don't want that Davey, I really really care about you. I want to be with you, and if you don't feel the same, I'll understand completely!"

She was wailing, her face in her hands, smearing her makeup. He knew they had gotten closer than before since the shooting. He helped her get her grades back up, gave her a feeling of self worth and purpose. He had stopped cutting himself and contemplating suicide. He was a changed man because of it all.

He had to pull over, to keep from crashing. He pulled off to the side of the road and parked the car. Now they could talk.

"Alice, Alice, listen sweetie. Listen, shh..it's okay. It really is. I was bound to find out eventually right? I mean secrets are secrets, and there some things about me you don't know about yet either, but when I'm ready, I'll be more than willing to share them with you. Fuck James! Honestly, fuck him and his ignorant ranting and his stupid antic with keying the car! Fuck him!" Davey said, his voice oddly calm, joking, and optimistic.

Alice couldn't help but laugh at his comments about James. She sniffled between laughs, looking over at Davey.

"I love you."

Davey wasn't read for that, he wasn't sure what to make of it. How was he to know it wasn't some emotional heart throb confession being made by the heat of the moment? Girls have told him that they loved him, but he didn't believe them. Why should he now?

"I love you too Alice."

He said it sincerely, why shouldn't he believe her? He had every right and reason to love this girl. Alice smiled and unbuckled her seat belt.

"Where are you going?" Davey asked, uncertain of what she was doing or going to do.

She opened her car door and got out. She closed the door, and climbed into the back seat area. She looked at Davey, a knowing look in her eyes, of wanting. Davey followed her example, moving from the driver's seat to the back seat next to her.

Before he could say anything, she was kissing him frantically, her hands moving, touching, caressing. He pulled her close, kissing her and lowering the straps of her dress. He rolled on top of her, looking down at her half naked body. She grazed his cheek with her fingers, looking deep into his eyes.

"Are you sure?" Davey asked in a hushed voice.

She nodded, "Yes."

The remainder of the trip was refreshing, the defog was on to clear up the steamed up windows. Their hair was disheveled, ties crooked, clothes wrinkled, lipstick on the collar.
They both would cast each other silly glances, and burst out laughing.

"So what are you going to do when you graduate?" Alice asked, sliding her hand into his.

"I don't know, I was thinking of going and trying to get into journalism and writing. I really enjoy it, and people are always telling me to get published..but I dunno," Davey replied.

"I think you should, I'd buy a copy of your work," Alice said sweetly, giving his hand a squeeze.

Davey looked at her, "Seriously?"

"Of course, I think it'd be great to see what goes on in your mind and imagination," she said sincerely.

Davey smiled, for once, taking a compliment.

"How bout you? I know you have a year left, but still; what do you want to do?"

Alice shrugged, "I dunno, I might go into law school, or interior decorating and design. I'm not really sure yet."

"You don't think, school and all will mess with our relationship do you?"

Davey shook his head, "No, not at this point. You mean too much to me, to just let it all go like that. I'm gonna do my damnedest to make this work."

Alice liked the sound of that, she snuggled up closer to him, to keep warm in the cool crisp nights breeze, blowing in through the rolled down windows.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you too."