Hello My Name Is...

Good-bye

SETH'S HOUSE THAT SAME NIGHT....

"Why didn't you go?" Elle asked patiently.

"Cause, what was the point? You weren't going to be there," Seth replied.

Seth stayed home, rather than go back out into the world and start over. He was content being in his dark room with what was left of the girl he loved. As long as he had her, her vision and voice, he was happy.

"Seth, I've been wanting to tell you something, " Elle said, taking a seat next to him.

Seth yawned with a nod, "Go on, ask away."

"Seth, it's time you moved on."

Seth waved her off, "What are you talking about? We're doing great here!"

Elle shook her head, "Seth, no we aren't. You've been so busy worrying about me, that you've forgotten about everyone else out there. You need to realize that there is much more to life than this."

Seth sat up suddenly, "What are you trying to say here?!"

He sounded panicked, hurt, lost. Elle leaned over and kissed him gently on the forehead.

"What I'm saying Seth, is that you are so focused on my death, you're completely missing out on your own life. You need to live your life."

Seth couldn't believe it! She, of all people, was telling him to get over it! He wouldn't have it, he covered his ears with his hands, to block her out.

"Seth, listen to me sweetie! I'm not asking you to forget about me, I'm asking you to forgive yourself for a change!" Elle said, pulling his hands away from his ears.

"Forgive myself?! How do I do that?! How can I do that?! I let you die..." Seth said, his voice trailing off.

He lowered his head in disgrace, but Elle touched it with her gentle hands, "You can start by living again. I don't want to see you like this, wasting away into nothing. I love you too much to watch you do this to yourself."

"Do what?!" Seth asked defiantly.

"By doing trying to hang yourself..."

Seth opened his eyes, to find himself standing on his dresser, with a home made noose around his neck. He gasped in panic, but was able to keep himself steady.

:"You see Seth, you're so focused on me...you want to kill yourself....for me." Elle said, her voice in his ears, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"Where are you?! Please, don't leave me!" Seth pleaded.

"I'm sorry, but you need to go on with your life. Live Seth...just live it for me.."

"Seth squirmed free from the noose, jumping down from his perch, "Elle! Elle, where are you?! Don't leave me please!!"

"Finish my portrait Seth, finish it and I guarantee you'll feel a lot better," her voice said, fading in and out.

"Why can't I see you anymore?! What good is finishing it going to do for me?!"

"Lay down, and close your eyes Seth...please..." Elle requested.

Seth did as he was told, he closed his eyes and focused in on her voice and face, like he had always done.

"Finish what you have started Seth. You can't go on unless you do," her voice rang out in the darkness.

She appeared in front of him, her usual smile. Seth moved to embrace her, clinging desperately to her.

"I'm sorry Seth, but this is the last time you'll see me like this.."

"What do you mean by that?" Seth asked, looking up at her.

"Finish the painting..." she said softly, slowly pulling away from him.

"Where are you going?!"

She only shook her head, turned, and faded into the dark.

Seth screamed for her to come back, but there was nothing but emptiness. He began to run in the dark, stumbling and falling, trying to find her. Then he felt himself fall.

He opened his eyes to find him in that noose, dangling. He tried to free himself, but couldn't loosen the knot. He choked, his face turning red. He didn't want to die anymore, not like this. He wanted to finish that portrait, he wanted to move on now, he didn't want die.

The noose snapped suddenly, dropping him heavily to the floor of his bedroom. He wheeze and gasped for air, coughing and clutching his throat. He laid there for what seemed like hours, still soaking in what had just happened. He'd been in that noose the entire time of his last imaginary meeting with Elle? They were imaginary weren't they? Of course they were.

He got to his feet, turned on the overhead light, and approached the unfinished portrait. He set it down at his desk, opened a drawer, and took out his carton of charcoal and cante'....