Status: Slowly slowly active.

About a Girl

Los Angeles

“Say nothing, cause there’s nothing left to say this quick, before it loses meaning. Lost control, and I’m screaming. Screaming out loud: Get me out of here.” – Patent Pending

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Rae

“Why did you come?” I demand through gritted teeth, even though I came back to L.A. expecting some sort of confrontation – just definitely not here and in the middle of my moment with Michael.

“You invited me, remember?” he callously states. His eyes are a cold blue- a blue that I used to adore because they reminded me of the sky.

“I told you it was over,” I state icily, mot allowing myself to remember.

“A fucking note?! That doesn’t cut it, Rae!”

“As if you deserved anything more!” I retort angrily, my fists clenched at my sides in frustration.

“Let’s get out of here, we need to talk…” he starts, grabbing hold of my arm.

“I’m not going anywhere with you!” I argue, trying to yank my arm from his grip. “Don’t fucking touch me,” I add, coldly, glaring, but he stares just as defiantly back.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Suzie demands, grabbing a hold of my free arm.

“This doesn’t have anything to do with you,” he states angrily.

“Let go of me!” I complain to the both of them.

“What’s going on here?” Jude asks, eyes narrowed and arms crossed, with lanky Seb behind him, imitating Jude’s threatening pose.

Granted, Seb and Jude aren’t very intimidating at all, but they’re doing a damn good job of faking it.

Luke keeps his composure, but glances Jude’s built form up and down, sizing him up.

“Just get the fuck out,” Suzie growls, and she might be the most threatening out of all of them.

He glares at her, then looks at me, waiting for me to give in. I show no expression.

“Fine,” he spits, still glowering at me. “Have a nice fucking life, Rae.” He turns and leaves. I exhale in relief.

“I love you guys,” I turn to tell them, giving Jude a hug first for being intimidating and then Suzie and Seb.

I can barely bring myself to look at Michael for the rest of the night.

I’m too embarrassed by my mistakes coming back to haunt me.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Michael

It’s hot for this time of year, even for L.A., but I’m not complaining.

I have my mind on other things.

The six of us are at the beach before Rae, Mike, and I have to pack and head back to Chicago in the morning.

Rae sits on the other side of Suzie, who’s on my left.

Suzie’s been determined to lighten Rae’s sulky mood ever since the record release party, and still no one will tell me exactly what happened.

“Let’s go swim,” Suzie suggests, tugging at Rae’s oversized t-shirt.

“I don’t feel like it,” Rae replies dully.

“Stop being a prude and let’s go,” Suzie whines.

“Stop it,” she scowls.

“No!” Suzie grins. “If I were Rachel Marie Shaw, I’d walk around naked everywhere!” she announces.

“Do it anyway!” a nearby group of guys whistles at her. She just winks as she flips the most verbal one off.

“I don’t feel well,” Rae announces.

“Come on, Rae,” Seb tries to convince her to stay. “Don’t be like that.”

“I’m going back to the room,” she continues, gathering her towel and heading off.

“I was just kidding…” Suzie mutters apologetically.

“Maybe you should go talk to her,” Mike suggests to me.

“Me?” I ask incredulously. “What would that help?” He shrugs.

“You never know.”

I hesitate a few minutes before putting my shirt back on and heading for the hotel too.

I’m having second thoughts the whole elevator ride up and then the seemingly long walk down the hall.

I raise my fist to knock, but I hear her voice before I can bring myself to actually do it.

“I don’t know, Bill.”

I’m not one to eavesdrop, but at the same time I can’t tear myself away from the door.

“I really like him. I don’t know. What do you think?”

My heart sinks.

She’s not over him, and I stand even less of a chance than before.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone still out there?